Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off on a road trip, made it to my destination only to start throwing belt ribs the next mile off the interstate.. Limped to Oreilly's on the last 3 ribs to get a new one.
The guy behind the counter asked if it had the "Cold Weather Package".. it takes a longer belt and was going to cost me another ~$20 on top of the regular price.
I managed to get a part number off my old belt and I do not have this option..

So what does this package involve?
My truck was originally sent to a dealership in Colorado and I'm in Montana..
It has the Ebpv (standard right?), AIH(standard emissions), Block Heater, etc.

It's kinda embarrassing to have some guy behind a generic parts counter know something about my truck that I've never even heard of.. :doh:

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
uhh the only thing i can think of needing a longer belt is maybe the dual alternator setup? but im not 100% sure.

the cold weather options were all the things you mentioned.

hes just reading off his computer i doubt he knew much of anything about these trucks lol

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
He probably also insisted on asking you if it was 4x4 too.

These parts counter guys are usually :tard:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uhh the only thing i can think of needing a longer belt is maybe the dual alternator setup? but im not 100% sure.

the cold weather options were all the things you mentioned.

hes just reading off his computer i doubt he knew much of anything about these trucks lol
The dual alternators do need a longer belt but this was for a single alternator setup.. that's what got me.

I know he was just reading off the computer, but still.. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the 7.3L in general.. The drive belt is so simple compared to a lot of other components.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He probably also insisted on asking you if it was 4x4 too.

These parts counter guys are usually :tard:

And don't forget the interior package... Leather makes a difference :hehe:

His best comment: "Oh wow it's a diesel.." :laugh:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would have to check the window sticker from my truck, but I think the dual alternator setup was part of the "snow plow prep" package as running a plow pump and extra lights could possibly need the extra alternator and since the second alternator would require the longer belt, that may have been what he was referring too and I'm sure that was lost in translation somewhere in the O Reilly computer prompt of questions to ask.

Edit : I may be incorrect but the dual alternator may be part of having 2 batteries as well?... As
My truck has 2 batteries and 2 alternators

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
nah all 7.3s have two batteries. need the power to crank the beast within!

ya did the guy behind the counter ask if it was turbocharged?

i laugh when they ask this i just want respond with a smart @#$ remark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wait until the parts people have to use a book. It's like watching a monkey #$%% a football.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They always ask me if I have the " ambulance package" LOL I rarely buy from the walmart parts stores. My dad works at a ford dealer, with his discount it's a no brainer I get all my stuff from ford

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had the guy at advance tell me a trans cooler was the engine oil cooler :doh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
And don't forget the interior package... Leather makes a difference :hehe:

His best comment: "Oh wow it's a diesel.." :laugh:
Actually, sometimes it does. Maybe not for our trucks, but it did for my Honda Odyssey. Dealership parts counter and service department would always ask if it was cloth or leather interior. One day, I asked why does it matter. He said they had different engines. The vans with the leather interior(EX-L and Touring) came with the i-VTEC which had VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) i.e. cylinder deactivation.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thank you for resurrecting a 7 year old thread with your first post to enlighten us about Honda Odyssys on a Ford Truck Forum. I opened it because I remember this thread, and the question "what is in the cold weather package". I was hoping to see the definitive answer. I'll keep waiting.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Thank you for resurrecting a 7 year old thread with your first post to enlighten us about Honda Odyssys on a Ford Truck Forum. I opened it because I remember this thread, and the question "what is in the cold weather package". I was hoping to see the definitive answer. I'll keep waiting.
If it helps any my truck is a CA model with the early CA glow plug system (stupid little shunt metal and extra wires), AND the cold weather package... According to ford the cold weather package is the from the factory block heater, AIH, different EBPV temp activation programming, and a SLIGHTLY shorter serpentine belt. While im doubtful trucks without the cold weather package didn't have the block heater and AIH I did confirm the non cold weather belt was longer than my cold weather package belt and i tried it but it started slipping/squawking within 6 months. I threw the shorter cold weather belt my trucks vin called for and been squeak free since 2016. Even with me getting a bit of coolant/water on it from thermostat/ oil cooler o ring job I did on it etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it helps any my truck is a CA model with the early CA glow plug system (stupid little shunt metal and extra wires), AND the cold weather package... According to ford the cold weather package is the from the factory block heater, AIH, different EBPV temp activation programming, and a SLIGHTLY shorter serpentine belt. While im doubtful trucks without the cold weather package didn't have the block heater and AIH I did confirm the non cold weather belt was longer than my cold weather package belt and i tried it but it started slipping/squawking within 6 months. I threw the shorter cold weather belt my trucks vin called for and been squeak free since 2016. Even with me getting a bit of coolant/water on it from thermostat/ oil cooler o ring job I did on it etc.
Just had the same thing happen with y '01, belt wasnt that old and was squealing pretty bad so i checked all the pullys for play and decided to change the belt. Guy at oriellys suggested that i go with hte shorter belt. he said he had went through this a few times before and finally called gates and got some confirmation on size difference. It was a little tight getting on but it made the horrible squeal go away.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Squealing belts = "Deliverance" !

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I FOUND THIS ON THE INTERNET TODAY.....

What is the cold weather package on a 7.3 Powerstroke?

According to ford the cold weather package is the from the factory block heater, AIH, different EBPV temp activation programming, and a SLIGHTLY shorter serpentine belt.Apr 14, 2014

MAYBE IT HELPS.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts