Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start my truck on wvo but i'm not quite sure on how to dewater it, everthing else i know. I have an old water heater and i heard that you just let it boil for a couple of hours and then drain the water that has collected at the bottom. Could any of you help me on how to do this or any other better methods of doing it.

Thanks
greg

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
If you do boil it, there will be no water to collect from the bottom. Water heaters won't get that hot anyway. you heat it to 150* or somewhere close to that and leave it to cool and settle, then drain the water and crud off the bottom.
I have a write up i did on a fitration/dewatering device i built. the writeup is here in this forum section at the top of the list of topics. Complete with pics. It works well and if you already have a hot water heater, your half there.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm looking to start my truck on wvo but i'm not quite sure on how to dewater it, everthing else i know. I have an old water heater and i heard that you just let it boil for a couple of hours and then drain the water that has collected at the bottom. Could any of you help me on how to do this or any other better methods of doing it.

Thanks
greg
You are on the right track. Water is what you should be concerning yourself with, both free and suspended. I run about 200 gallons per week and the best thing I ever did was find the guys as Simple Centrifuge ...putting a centrifuge in every garage!. I may be able to post some pix of my set up if anyone is interested. It produces clean, dry, wvo 24/7 at a rate of 8 gph.:nod:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hey Vegginpsd:

What FASS pump are you using??? I use the 150/95 FASS and it works great!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hey Vegginpsd:

What FASS pump are you using??? I use the 150/95 FASS and it works great!!!

I'm using the 95 gph, 80 psi. I really like mine too.:woot:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys, all though i like the centrifuge idea, i'm gunna stick to the hot water heater at 150 degrees since i already bought it! After i let it cool for a couple of days, i'm going to store it in sealed off containers (they're the containers the restaurants get their oil in) should i worry about bacteria growing in it? or should i seal the container off when the oil is still hot? thanks

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
150 is a little much...140 will be plenty of heat and it will settle in as little as 4-6 hours after the heat is turned off. As long as the heat is on, convection currents keep the oil stired up.
don't worry about bacteria unless your going to store it longer than 5-6 months.
Keep all the air out and keep it cool if possible. Some people add a biocide but i have never dealt with that. I use my oil almost as fast as i gather it and i rotate the stock so it doesn't sit more than a couple months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you let it settle in the water heater or pump it into another container to settle?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Do you let it settle in the water heater or pump it into another container to settle?
it stays in my water heater untill its ready to go in my truck tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you prefilter your WVO before heating? By letting it stay in the tank all the contam settles to the bottom. This must be a single batch process. 20-30-40 gallons at a time. Do you pump the good product from the top and leave the comtam layer in the bottom to dispose of later? or gravity drain the contaminated product first and then fill your truck tank with good product? I seems that you don't use storage containers at all.
Thanks for the input.
Foxhole

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you prefilter your WVO before heating? By letting it stay in the tank all the contam settles to the bottom. This must be a single batch process. 20-30-40 gallons at a time. Do you pump the good product from the top and leave the comtam layer in the bottom to dispose of later? or gravity drain the contaminated product first and then fill your truck tank with good product? I seems that you don't use storage containers at all.
Thanks for the input.
Foxhole
read this....
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/44868-my-fitration-unit-wvo-use.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts