Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a diesel F-250 or 350? What is the best Diesel to get into I would like a 99 and up truck. I want less problems and good fuel economy. I have a V-10 right now.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
For basic out of the box reliability, a 7.3 is probably the way to go. Well maintained, they can last for quite a long time. The tranny is quite often a weak spot in the 7.3's.....

For more stock power, a 6.0 is the way to go. They are more fussy, and some do have issues. They require a bit more monitoring, and are sometimes less reliable as a whole than a 7.3. Common upgrades to improve reliability include oil cooler upgrades, head studs, and egr deletes. If you solve some of the basic issues, commonly known as "bulletproofing", the 6.0 is a a good engine. And the trranny is tough as nails.

Overall, if you want a truck you can just drive, I would lean towards a 7.3. If you want a a truck with more power out of the box an ad don't mind some more meticulous maintenance, go with a 6.0

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If you want the least amount of problems I'd get the 7.3. However if performance is also a factor I'd look into the 6.0 and 6.4.

How machanically inclined are you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want the least amount of problems I'd get the 7.3. However if performance is also a factor I'd look into the 6.0 and 6.4.

How machanically inclined are you?
I can do stuff and what not. Finding time is my issue!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts