Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best fuel additive to use for year-around use in a 1999 F350 7.3. I live in North Texas and the temps can get down into the twenties. Let me know if you need more information thank you all for your help

·
Registered
820 Posts
I personally like Stanadyne Lubricity for everyday use and when it get cold i add in some Stanadyne Performance for winter or winter blend. If you need anything colder a little of Howie's ( but only for cold temps ) say below 10 degrees. Keep some Diesel Kleen 911 with you just in case.

Stanadyne years ago scored really well on a test done and is some if the easiest and cheapest to find. Don't use the general Diesel Kleen crap. It makes things worst most of the time.

Another reason why i use Stanadyne is that it is a De-mulsifier not a emulsifier. Meaning it pulls the water back into big drops so fuel separators can do there job. Now for the 7.3 you may want a emulsifier since its not a common rail diesel. Have to let a 7.3 owner chime in on that one. Been along time since Ive had a 7.3 and i ran this stuff i said above.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Archoil9100 every oil change and 2cycle every fill up. I use the cheap supertech Walmart stuff. Tcw3 rated and its 12$ a gallon.

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I find the cheapest 2 stroke oil I can for my 7.3 and I don't use it religiously, just every now and then.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Reactions: Patriot1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do people really need to add anything? This is the first DI diesel I've owned. I like the idea of the 2 cycle oil because it's easy to find and cheap but does it really make much difference? Is the additive mainly to lubricate? Sorry if this is a dumb question that's been debated to death but I'm new to owning a diesel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do people really need to add anything? This is the first DI diesel I've owned. I like the idea of the 2 cycle oil because it's easy to find and cheap but does it really make much difference? Is the additive mainly to lubricate? Sorry if this is a dumb question that's been debated to death but I'm new to owning a diesel.
Highly debated subject. There are believers and non believers.

My take: Fuel makers 'claim' they put enough additive in their ULSF for lubricity and diesel engine manufactures 'claim' their engines built for ULSF will be fine (yeah, only through warranty period is all they really care about imho).

I'm an additive believer, being I can attest they do not add enough lubricity in ULSF for my 97' 7.3 with fuel pump failures since LSF and especially ULSF fuels of today. Since using a fuel conditioner for lubricity, including other general benefits on the product I use, I've had no more pump failures (over 100Kmi and counting on last replacement) and my original injectors are still strong and healthy with over 200K mi. Proof enough for me.

What I use: Renewable Lubricants Bio-Power Summer Diesel Fuel Conditioner They also have a winter blend if you live in that climate.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've seen studies that show greatly reduced maintenance in fleet vehicles from adding quality lubricant to the fuel. DK mentioned early scored poorly as a lubricant in the 2007 study. My favorites are Opti-Lube Summer Plus, Stanadyne and Amalgamated TDS.

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
once every three to four months I'll throw either a quart of the tcw3 two-stroke oil in or a bottle of diesel clean. I don't do it every fill up or all the time by any means and my last two fuel filters are SPOTLESS. I will say the two stroke oil didn't help noise like my 6.0 but it did help mileage. took a couple 500 mile road trips ALMOST the exact same route, just different gas stations and got 1-2 mpg better with the two stroke oil.

I did calculations though if I drive an average 15k per year at 15mpg vs 16 mpg plus the cost of the additive it ended up being almost $70 bucks a year more with the additive even though its under $14 for 4 tanks etc. so I just run it on about a quarterly basis etc.

·
It is What IT is
1,740 Posts
DieselKleen every tank. I notice the difference when I don't use it.

I skip a tank every 4-5 tanks just so that I don't end up with too high of a concentration....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts