Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is Ebpv? where is it? what does it do? What are pros and cons about modding it? The more i look this up the loster. can someone explain this to me please...:dunno:

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's a valve that closes when its cold outside to assist in warming up the engine there are no real pros performance wise in keeping it you might see a minute or too faster warm up by keeping it. There are also no real pros performance wise getting rid of it except that those things leak oil they are a weak point. This is what you hear hissing in the cold.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
281 Posts
It closes the flap in the exhaust and creates back pressure they claim it help the engine het up faster.
If you do not want it to work unhook the wire harness in the turbo pedalstool.
There is no reason to mod it unless it leaks by the push rod on the pedalstool.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe it is just after the turbo it reduces the amount of exhaust leaving the engine speeding up warm ups. In my opinion I don't see much faster warm ups with it. It's mainly a personal choice if you don't mind listening to it keep it but clean out the sensor every now and then or your mpgs might fall a little.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's a butterfly valve directly behind the outlet of the turbo's exhaust side, built into the cast housing that bolts to the turbo, actually.

If it's cold it, it closes to "help warm the engine up"...IMHO, it just makes a boatload of noise. It is also a bit of a restriction when it's open (although, I doubt you'd ever even notice it). Unless your at the point of needing an aftermarket turbocharger, I wouldn't mess with it...

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I'll answer too :hehe:
Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. There is a butterfly valve in the exhaust, before the downpipe and after the exhaust turbines. It closes during cold operation to help the engine warm up by increasing back pressure. In the turbo pedestal, there is a piston actuated by oil, that, when commanded, pushes an actuator rod and closes or opens the EBPV. Sometimes, they stick, causing loss of power when driving. Personally, I unplugged mine. The plug is at the base of the pedestal.

Reactions: 914viper

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is a picture for reference...I swapped out my EBPV pedastel for a non-EBPV unit, as well as a non-EBPV exhaust housing. It made a HUGE difference. Turbo spools a bit faster, and my EGT's are lower when towing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nathan - do you live in colder climates? If so have you noticed any real difference with warm up times?

We've only had a hand full of days in or below the 20s in MI.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The EBPV is useless. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. We routinely see -50*C during the winter, and have zero issues with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nathan,ive been thinking about doing the non ebpv swap and was wondering what is done with the plug that goes into the front of the pedestal?

·
Registered
103 Posts
most people leave it unplugged, as it will not throw the CEL (check engine light). However, there is a company called 'dfuser' that sells a plug in for it, and that is what I did. It plugs into the connector, and fools the computer to think its there. That way no codes are stored from it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Question Nathan.....what did that new pedestal run you? I am going in to replace the lift pump and do some cleaning ect. while in there, and maybe change out the pedestal.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Question Nathan.....what did that new pedestal run you? I am going in to replace the lift pump and do some cleaning ect. while in there, and maybe change out the pedestal.
I think about $140 or so and comes with new o-rings.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Nathan - do you live in colder climates? If so have you noticed any real difference with warm up times?

We've only had a hand full of days in or below the 20s in MI.
I have had no issues so far this winter, with temps as low as -15*F so far... It takes forever to warm up by idling, but I don't idle it for more than a couple minutes when cold, anyway. Just drive it easy (under 2k RPM's) for a couple miles until the oil temp starts to reach "normal" on the idiot cluster.... then it's normal driving! :scuffy

Don't miss that damn EBPV at all! :crazy:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts