Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to test drive a new F350 CCLB SRW 4WD. Very impressed with how smooth it rides, even unloaded. Very precise, well-balanced steering.

What exactly did Ford do to achieve this? I didn’t notice any revolutionary new hardware under the truck, just a stabilizer bar that I don’t have on my older F350.

·
Motor Head.
1,742 Posts
Good question.I was just wondering this the other day.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
2008+ Ford changed the rear springs. I think they may have changed them for 2011+ on as well.

Since 2005+ they have used front coil springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the spring packs vary by model of the newer 2017+ trucks?
I have a 2019 F350 4x4 Lariat CC SRW 3.55 gears and someone told me the Platinum's come with a softer spring set to allow for a better ride?
I thought once you bought a F250/F350 with the diesel they all had similar coil and leaf springs just from the need of choosing the 6.7l diesel? With exception of the helper spring on the F350 that the 250s are the same.
Coil spring, leaf springs, axles and brakes all the same, if the same options are chosen?
Plow or towing options will change springs/leaf packs but they are the same on F250/F350 and all models?

This is my 1st 1 ton Ford and was amazed at how well the truck drove while test driving models. I thought they all drove decent for a 1 ton while empty. I added a Sulastic spring to the rear leafs on mine and improved on the stock/empty ride even more. That's when someone stated if I had gotten a Platinum if would have a better ride because the leaf packs and springs are different?
Am just curious if model has any change on springs or leaf packs to affect ride?

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Talking about Single Rear Wheel (SRW) trucks:
Trim levels have very little effect on the spring selection for the truck. Not as much about "ride" as trim levels drive the interior. Maybe the seats/seat foam could be different, but it's been hard to determine if that applies to the 2017+ trucks.

Base truck and motor selection will have a minor effect on springs selected : F250 compared to F350. Gas to diesel. 4wd to 2wd....etc etc

Option packages have a more direct effect on spring selection. I.E. Snow Plow Prep, Camper Package, GVWR option, etc etc etc

Ford has done some changes where it could be the same functional items are the same between a F350 and F250 truck. Brakes, wheels, axles....

I can say an 2017+ F250 could be optioned to have the same springs as an F350 but it would not change the GVWR or load rating for the F250. In particular I can say the F250 with Snow Plow and Camper Packages would have the same springs as an F350. The F250's just had door stickers with lower rated weight ratings.....

While it seems the 2020 models you can get a F250 "upgraded" to have the same rear axle as the F350's you will not have the save weight rating or payload numbers from what I have seen in the door stickers.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's all subjective I guess, because I think my 2020 F350 Lariat rides a little better than a buckboard wagon! A hair mind you. 😝 I wasn't expecting it to be smooth as silk, so no harm no foul. It does become very plush once it's loaded down, which was nice to see. I'll be custom fabbing my own suspension for it at some point, but not because the ride is terrible, I just like to be able to run a bigger tire and have the truck be a little more capable offroad. I can live with the ride for a while.

I think I was just so in love with the engine and trans combo I wouldn't let myself recognize the rough ride. Of course I'm coming from an old dodge that was setup with long travel leaf springs that smoothed that truck way out.

Seeing this thread title caught me off guard. The thought that an earlier F250/F350 rode/rides significantly worse than a 2020 I found incredulous. However it would be interesting to see if they had different springs for the higher trim models, I wouldn't think so. Different shocks might make sense though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It all sounds valid to me and is very subjective.

Have been told by some how great their empty 1 tons ride but they have installed different tires. Run much lower pressures for off road use(45-50lbs). Tires also could have less ply ratings to allow more tire flex to absorb the small concrete cracks and man hole cover type bumps.
I do not see how changing shocks on a 1 ton will change the empty ride?
My 2019 F350 driving down the street is not flexing the springs at all to even move my shocks.
That is why I think I noticed such a big improvement after adding the Sulastic rubber shackles.
Those small cracks and seams are taken care of by the rubber in the shackle and does not move the frame/body of the vehicle like it did with the stock Steel Shackle.

I am running the stock 20" tires the truck came with Michelin – LT275/65 R20e Load Range E at 60lbs front/rear.
Tires allow for 80lbs for max rating and if I tow or load up the rear I would put more air in to allow less heat in the tire from flexing. I am happy for my driving empty with 60lbs in the tires and getting a comfortable ride. My stock buckboard F350 when empty drives more like when it is loaded now. Love the ride that adding the Sulastics made to my truck.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well I have front leaf springs on my F350, maybe the 2005+ coil springs make the difference!
Oh dang, I didn't know how far back you were talking. Coils in the front was definitely a huge upgrade suspension wise.

Are you going to get a new/newer pickup, or were you contemplating a suspension upgrade?

·
Registered
501 Posts
It all sounds valid to me and is very subjective.

Have been told by some how great their empty 1 tons ride but they have installed different tires. Run much lower pressures for off road use(45-50lbs). Tires also could have less ply ratings to allow more tire flex to absorb the small concrete cracks and man hole cover type bumps.
My 2019 F350 driving down the street is not flexing the springs at all to even move my shocks.
That is why I think I noticed such a big improvement after adding the Sulastic rubber shackles.
Those small cracks and seams are taken care of by the rubber in the shackle and does not move the frame/body of the vehicle like it did with the stock Steel Shackle.

I am running the stock 20" tires the truck came with Michelin – LT275/65 R20e Load Range E at 60lbs front/rear.
Tires allow for 80lbs for max rating and if I tow or load up the rear I would put more air in to allow less heat in the tire from flexing. I am happy for my driving empty with 60lbs in the tires and getting a comfortable ride. My stock buckboard F350 when empty drives more like when it is loaded now. Love the ride that adding the Sulastics made to my truck.

Thanks for all the comments.
True, there is only so much you can do with, or maybe against a specific spring rate, but shocks can be a little magical in some instances.

I've been considering the sulastic shackles as a stopgap, but unless my wife starts complaining about the ride, I don't think I'll bother. How much better would you say your ride is? Again subjective, but if the stock ride was say, a 67 out of a 100, where is it now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2000 F350 so yeah it’s from way back then. Honestly I would like a newer pickup but everything has a trade-off that’s unacceptable for me.

I really like the new 6.7 Powerstroke, but as good as the 6R140 is I could never have an auto as my daily driver. I don’t see any other PSD as a reliable upgrade vs my 7.3. I even had a Ram at one point, but I found the interior really un-ergonomic and I do not like the G56 manual at all.

So really I’m thinking the best option is to upgrade the entire truck around my 7.3/ZF6 powertrain.

Oh dang, I didn't know how far back you were talking. Coils in the front was definitely a huge upgrade suspension wise.

Are you going to get a new/newer pickup, or were you contemplating a suspension upgrade?

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Cheapest way: Adjust tire pressure, New shocks (but never a guarantee)

Modest cost: Swapping from OEM 20" wheels/tires to 18" combo will help. See the above.....

Just plain expensive: Lift kit/ new springs all around can get expensive. Not to mention chasing the dragon with the best shock setup.....LOL

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Tires allow for 80lbs for max rating and if I tow or load up the rear I would put more air in to allow less heat in the tire from flexing. I am happy for my driving empty with 60lbs in the tires and getting a comfortable ride.
You would be surprised at how much they move the springs. Especially the front coils.
Drop down to 50 in the rear and 55 up front when empty. That was the sweet spot on my 275s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In regard to how much it changed the ride. My wife drives a 2013 Pilot and thinks my truck drives smoother than her Pilot now. She did not mind the trucks ride as she feels safe in it. My daily driver is a 2010 Jetta TDI and she dislikes being in the small vehicle. I love the car as I get 45mpg no matter how I drive it.
You will like how the Sulastics change the ride.

·
Motor Head.
1,742 Posts
I converted my 04 F350 DWR to front coil springs ,it was and improvement but I expected it to be better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I have front leaf springs on my F350, maybe the 2005+ coil springs make the difference!
I just bought a 2019 F350 CC with an aluminum bed, after having F450’s every couple years (except 6.0, bought last 03 7.3 and jumped to 08 6.4l pos) and I cannot believe the ride! The F450’s all rode like sleds, loaded made it bearable but you still took a beating. This 350 is like getting in a Lincoln Continental after driving a cabover L9000

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, this is what I’m talking about. They’ve definitely improved something is these newer trucks, rides much nicer, but without losing load capacity.

I just bought a 2019 F350 CC with an aluminum bed, after having F450’s every couple years (except 6.0, bought last 03 7.3 and jumped to 08 6.4l pos) and I cannot believe the ride! The F450’s all rode like sleds, loaded made it bearable but you still took a beating. This 350 is like getting in a Lincoln Continental after driving a cabover L9000

1 - 17 of 17 Posts