Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my son wants his first truck and I was going to give him mine but that’s my baby and he what’s a Cummins and I will only buy him a ford so what year do you think is the best

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Go ahead and buy him the Cummins, wish I hada done that 5 years ago before I got the Powerstroke and the powerstroke mod addiction, now I wouldn’t trade anything for my early 99.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
7.3 would be a good kids truck. the poor kid would go broke trying to maintain a 6 liter with a high schoolers right foot.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yes a 7.3L would be a great idea. Those last forever if they're taken care of. He may not be the quickest but he'll have a truck that will outlast the others. :icon_ford::icon_ford::icon_ford:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so 7.3L so what year is the best and what are the best mods for a 7.3 powerstroke but remember he is only 16 about to be 17 nothing crazy well maybe a little :)

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Considering his age, I’d say open exhaust and DIY open air intake and maybe a set of gauges. I wouldn’t let him have a chip unless it was custom tuned to hold max speed below 65 mph and had a rev limiter. But then again I’m planning to let my 16 year old drive my old 69 f-100 3-ON-THE-TREE until he earns enough to buy his own vehicle. That is if he ever learns how to drive it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
dont do your son like that..get him a 6.0..matter of fact get him an 03 6.0..hes young so hes gonna want power not reliability :hehe:

I got my first f250 when I was 18 and my 2nd one when I was 21 my present truck I have right now..03 6.0 wouldnt trade it for anything.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
dont do your son like that..get him a 6.0..matter of fact get him an 03 6.0..hes young so hes gonna want power not reliability :hehe:

I got my first f250 when I was 18 and my 2nd one when I was 21 my present truck I have right now..03 6.0 wouldnt trade it for anything.
I agree... im 18 and im glad i have a 6.0 the power is awesome, and they are reliable too.. my brothers 03 6.0 has 225,000 miles still running strong..

·
Desert Storm Vet
638 Posts
I would have to say the 7.3, yes I can understand younger guys wanting the power/quickness, but i know my truck is very fast, and I have hardly had to do anything to it. I have done some mods, but as of yet, have not had to do any repairs. I have had it for 35K+ miles it currently has over 107k on it. it is an 02, love the truck, plus the engine seems to have no issues with power and pulling a load.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'd get him an OBS 7.3...
As previously mentioned I would maybe open the exhaust, gauges, 6637 intake and maybe a chip but I wouldn't have real hot tunes...maybe a smoke tune...

That's all most young boys want anyway: noise and of course a diesel has to smoke...or it's a joke :p

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
the 6.4 is the best so far...uncorked with minor mods it pushed 500hp and so far is reliable. next to that the 99-00 7.3..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so how much hp does a 6.0 have and is a good motor what would i have to worry about

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i say buy him what he wants otherwise he will not care about it and prob beat it to crap because it wasnt what he wanted ......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well first off am not going to buy him a 06 dodge 2500 he said he if I was going to get him a ford it better have a powerstroke so am looking and so far the 7.3l 6.0l and the 6.4 sound great and this will be a hard chose

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
so how much hp does a 6.0 have and is a good motor what would i have to worry about
fordmugg is right ... and no unfortunately. read up on the 6.0's if that is what you're considering. The 6.0 has about 100 more hp stock than a 7.3 BUT, it has all the emissions crap to deal with, EGR's, Catalytic Converters, etc. Which is imo what hindered its reliability in the earlier years. Straight up, they're a fine engine, but they had a ton more problems than the 7.3's. The biggest reason they quit making them was for the EPA.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
6.4??

I wouldn't buy my kid a brand spankin new 07-08 with a 6.4 those are like 40k-60k on the sticker that's nuts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a 2008 ford f250 crew cab with a toolbox as a bed for 28000$ so I was thinking of buying the bed but he does not like it so I said f it and found a 2003 all black crew cab 6.0L with 178000 for 15000$ so is that a good find

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Does the 03 have a 6.0 or 7.3? If it is a 6.0 make sure to look at an OASIS report before even considering it :thumb:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts