Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is “Fleet pricing”?

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 · (Edited)
So my father in law goes down to local dealer to get an order sorted for a new KR F350.

Dealer spits out $78K to him. Now he just bought his brother in last year for $71K and reminds them.

They go “oh yeah we forgot to put your fleet number in” and truck goes down to $71k

How big does your “fleet” need to be? He buys 1 truck a year and it’s a “fleet”?

Can I piggy back on his fleet or is just for the dealer blowing smoke?

#3 ·
Yeah, but so do I, two in fact. Is that all it takes?

#4 ·
I think you use your Tax ID to give proof. It might require the business name be on the paperwork. I'm not speaking from experience, just throwing ideas out there.

There's some dealers that have a specific fleet sales team, I'd find one and ask questions.

#5 ·
Have to have an EIN tax number if i remember correctly.

#6 ·
I do have a tax ID. The IRS squeezes everyone at my biz

So it is “cheaper” than X plan or invoice? I guess I’ll just have to go and find out

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#8 ·
This is what I’m trying to understand

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#11 ·
They lose money on every sale but make it up on volume...

I think everyone gets fleet if they push it but as was said earlier, there are other discounts available that may be more significant than fleet. I've always found it better to do the homework and then go to the dealer with that number (plus a a bit for negotiating) and they can use whatever discounts they want to in order to get down to your number. If you go this route, try to eliminate the lot salesman and directly to one of the managers. Inexperienced sales people can be dangerous to a deal sometimes.

#12 ·
How does one do homework for a starting point?

All I’ve ever found is build it at Ford.com and try and get anywhere from 8-12% off MSRP as the final price.

#13 ·
It's all a guessing game until you have the dealer paperwork in front of you. IF you are dealing with a decent dealer you can/will get a report that shows the MSRP pricing and Invoice Pricing on the same sheet in two columns. Along the bottom will be a bunch of other numbers that show ACD (??) Plan pricing, X-plan pricing, Z-plan pricing, and the dealer hold back.

If you build the truck on line it's not too far off to guess around 10-12% off MSRP is what you will see on paper for invoice pricing. The key is getting into their Hold Back money...about $2k. Some will let it go....others fight you. If you have access to some other incentives it helps them, as well as you. Don't expect an $84k truck to go out the door for $65k. It can happen, just not everyday. Timing is everything with rebates, old dealer stock, etc etc etc.

Considering the pricing of today: 2019 King Ranch F350 SRW MSRP shows $81265, Dealer ad shows $69896. That's about 14% off MSRP. I'm sure they have some other "factors" in there but I would expect that $69k to be pretty damn close to Invoice pricing on their reports.

Working backwards at $69896 plus $2k hold back= $71896....If that is what the paperwork shows for invoice then I would be pretty happy to see that number. Give to me the other incentives I qualify for I could get that $2k (if not more) dropped off AND if I play hardball....Maybe get $1500 of the hold back.

At best I'd say that truck could sell at $68k+...tack on tags, taxes....etc etc etc.

#14 ·
See attached .PDF: It's for a Raptor but I know it's done on most all their vehicles.

I'm not sure what all the bottom numbers represent (FPA, AA), but you get the picture on what they have to show you. Edit on above: It's A&Z Plan, D Plan, and X Plan. These are blank due to Raptor not being able to be sold within those "special plans" pricing structure.

To the far left side you see HB....Hold Back is $2213.00

So $70, 011.12 is invoice and IF they were hard pressed it could sell at $67,798.12 (invoice minus hold back)...plus all the other junk taxes, tags, etc etc etc.

From another site: "Dealer Floor Plan Assistance" Fee (FPA)

A.K.A. Wholesale Financial Reserves or Dealer Interest Fees

Some dealers charge this fee, which is icing on the cake. Have them remove this insult. Dealer Floor Plan Interest is the interest that dealers pay for loans to buy the cars on their lot. Usually the factory pays this as part of the holdback, itemized as a separate invoice item. Floor Plan interest can cost $150 per month for each car. On an Eclipse invoice I have, the factory gave the dealer $185 in floor plan assistance, and the dealer itemized it to the buyer as a fee, double collecting for $370! The factory gives the dealer 1-2 months of interest. The longer the car sits unsold on the lot, the more $150 interest checks the dealer pays. They want you to "assist" them in "paying it," which is the factory's expense, not yours. Dealers know we are on to them, so some have changed the name to a confusing term called "Wholesale Financial Reserves" or "Dealer Interest Fee."

I think AA might be Advertising Assessment.....

Attachments

#15 ·
I may be mistaken or it may have changed, but I recall seeing that you had to have 2-3 vehicles under your company prior to entering the fleet program. The ford fleet program isn't too great unless you are ordering a ton of vehicles.

#16 ·
Fleet, Invoice and Plan Pricing

I'm starting to shop for a new 350 SRW and what two dealers have shown me as X plan pricing has been disheartening. I am going to have to get into A/Z or D plan territory before I get excited. $4900 under MSRP isn't a deal.
What kind of pricing should i be looking for on a new order. The attached isn't it. lol

Attachments

#17 ·
I'm starting to shop for a new 350 SRW and what two dealers have shown me as X plan pricing has been disheartening. I am going to have to get into A/Z or D plan territory before I get excited. $4900 under MSRP isn't a deal.
What kind of pricing should i be looking for on a new order. The attached isn't it. lol
Ford pricing is nuts right now because they are selling so many. I get 11-12k off and I buy a truck every year (Canada) and this year I got offered $7800.

Next year I’m moving to dodge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.