Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the intake on my truck I am not happy with. So i was wondering if there were any inakes worth a damn that are $200 or less? I went to napa and priced out how much all the tubing and cuplers and with a filter. it would be $160 to build my own so i figured might as well buy one that will forsure work and fit.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I built mine cheaper than that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did you get the parts and all? and what did you use?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I used the stock rubber boot that goes to the housing and a 45* 4"od piece of pipe and the 6637. Cost me around $60. give or take.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
DIY

I made mine from parts I got from pep boys for 60 bucks, not fancy but it works. Im new to diesels so I dont know if this works any better then stock, but it did wake it up a little. Sorry I will take a better one later
intAKE.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
got to fleet filters.com order the wix 6637, then i went on ebay and searched 4 inch intercooler elbow and looked till i found one at a 45 degree angle then i bought a 4 inch intercooler boot with some clamps, then to top it all off i bought one of these covers FilterCovers for like 30 bucks, ended up spending about 90-100 bucks total, had to shorten the elbow a little bit but it pretty much bolted right in. Much better than any of the intake systems offered by the companies out there in my opinion and the opinion of many others.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
got to fleet filters.com order the wix 6637, then i went on ebay and searched 4 inch intercooler elbow and looked till i found one at a 45 degree angle then i bought a 4 inch intercooler boot with some clamps, then to top it all off i bought one of these covers FilterCovers for like 30 bucks, ended up spending about 90-100 bucks total, had to shorten the elbow a little bit but it pretty much bolted right in. Much better than any of the intake systems offered by the companies out there in my opinion and the opinion of many others.
Nice find!:thumb: Im going to order one of those soon.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
worth it you should see what comes out of it when i blow it with an air compressor, greatly extends the life of the filter and it looks cool. ive just been nervous ever since i started hearing people "dusting" their engines running k and n and other oiled filters. I had a stock replacement k and n filter on my truck for about 30k miles, luckily i found out just in time

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I used to run K&N drop in filters and never had a problem but at the same time I am a freak about upkeep on a truck so it never really got dirty.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which filter from them are you running?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you just put that elbow from the turbo to the stock cast piece than to the stock intake tube than to that cone filter or did you make your own tube as well?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
did you just put that elbow from the turbo to the stock cast piece than to the stock intake tube than to that cone filter or did you make your own tube as well?
I used a 6637 with a 45* elbow off of it that goes into the stock rubber intake tube.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
i have an older obs powerstroek that has a red boot that goes into a mettal piece that has the crancase breather attached. I attached half of the intercooler boot to the metal piece and half to the elbow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts