Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize that 7.3's (as is the case with any diesel) are not made for 0-60 or 1/4 time slips, but from a roll and even launching hard w/ boosted 4x4 runs you can pull some good times down.

What hp/tq do you consider a super duty (not talking about an OBS, since they are a different animal) quick?

Super Duty's are heavier than OBS trucks, but have better fueling, hpop, trannies etc than OBS trucks. So what hp/tq is considered quick?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
500-550whp? That strikes me as being plain FAST :rofl:

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Lol. I know your talking about 7.3s but hp is hp... I have 400 hp and it's fast! (Probably the number that mostly applies)
But its not enough anymore :evillol:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Lol. I know your talking about 7.3s but hp is hp... I have 400 hp and it's fast! (Probably the number that mostly applies)

Drive stock for a week, then load the tunes back up. Then you'll realize how fast it is :hehe:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm basically just trying to find out what the board thinks a "fun" 7.3 is that will **** n git. 400hp would make for a fun truck, for sure.

Drive stock for a week, then load the tunes back up. Then you'll realize how fast it is :hehe:
haha

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
With the mods in my sig, and my chip set to 120 race, I pulled a 16.2 in the 1/4 launching off 9 psi in 4x4. Fast by any means? Not really, but I think it's good for a 7.3 and such a heavy truck. I was definitely put back in my seat. I don't know what i'm making numbers wise, but it'll be going on the dyno soon. Then comes turbo and injectors.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Like I said, these trucks aren't 1/4 rapers, but once the mass is already in motion they can rip along quite nicely. For ONLY a chip and some VERY basic mods, thats a decent 1/4 time :thumb:

·
Registered
609 Posts
From dead stop no boosting or 4x4 I could do a 1/4 in just a hair over 16 seconds. Only tunes I got is an old edge evo. Was running the Extreme tune of 140hp. Oh and I'd say if you can beat out a ricer with your truck it is pretty quick. Stupid honda civics anyway lol

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
400hp was fun for about a week..... 550-600hp is a lot more fun but thats certainly not enough lol

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Honestly, just a chip and a few mods and go that route. Dependable and drives great. 400, 500 is all fun, but comes with a hefty price tag to do it correct. Honestly after going through that phase I don't know if it is really worth it.

Either way your still going to get spanked by most of everything out there... LOL

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
400hp was fun of about a week..... 550-600hp is a lot more fun but thats certainly not enough lol
600hp:tard::respekt:

Either way your still going to get spanked by most of everything out there... LOL
Isn't that the truth. I'm just curious how much it takes for you guys to feel your trucks as being fun.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I'm guessing I'm just over 300. 247 not chipped, and while I want just a little more, it's fun where it's at. I think a fun 7.3 is simply a chipped stock. Now, a fun diesel is a different story. From what I hear from the 6.0 guys, more is always better. I'd say if you want a fast diesel, you'll want to trade in the 7.3 for something else.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not looking for a fast diesel, lol. I'm just asking what the forums opinions are in terms of what THEY believe a quick, fun truck is in regards to a 7.3

·
Registered
338 Posts
I mad a dyno run and got 342 to the gound and to me it's plenty fun. When you consider the weight of these things and that it's a 4x4 running around on 35" tires it's even more fun.

To get into the 400+ range I think you would need to spend more than it's worth on a 7.3. Plus you run the risk of tearing things up. None of that is fun.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
it's all compromise...

To me, after running my red truck stock for over a year, it's a whole new animal now that its got a DP Tuner... with a 6sp, I roll smoke every time I take off unless I really ease on the go-pedal, and that's only on the 80 econo tune... step up to the 120 race tune, and more smoke and more go! So it's 'fun' to me. Is it putting out 500 HP? Nope. Do I like it? YEP! And it's nice to know that it's going to hold together for years to come, and I don't have every penny I earn invested in it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good answers so far guys.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My truck has 312/750 and for a truck on 37's, I think its a blast to drive. I can spin the tires if I want to, even though I really don't do it much because they cost to much. Maybe within the year it will have a new turbo and some hybrids!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
My truck has 312/750 and for a truck on 37's, I think its a blast to drive. I can spin the tires if I want to, even though I really don't do it much because they cost to much. Maybe within the year it will have a new turbo and some hybrids!
LOL... I hear ya! I pulled off a nice one-wheel-peel this afternoon while taking my wife on some errends in the red truck, of course I have a goofy grin on my face when she looked over at me, just shaking her head. Glad the tires on it are used may-pops!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
4-450 you beat a lot of stuff on the street, it's pretty fun and it's quick. To me it won't be fun until I'm in the 12s haha. Like I told you in another thread, it becomes an addiction very quick.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts