Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just wonderin what fuel additives u use around the course of one year. i currently use powerservice, but i was told it is hard on injectors because it is alcohol based, so i am looking to switch to a different brand. I have heard of Lucas for powerstrokes, and QMI, which is an additive used in the airline industry and is a high quality lubricator. i understand it only takes 1 oz of QMI to treat a tank of fuel. My ag teacher told me he uses it in his duramax, and that he saw a demonstration where the guy treated the fuel in a small gas engine, then drained the oil out of the motor and the motor ran for another hour before dying; because it was so well lubricated by the fuel. Also, you can only get this product from a dealer, not at a store. I also have been told to use Stanadyne, but it too is hard for me to get ahold of. Any comments would be great:thumb:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have used Powerservice, but I prefer Stanadyne and I have tried the Diesel Additive from Amsoil and I like it a lot. I am not aware of the problems that could be due to Powerservice but to be honest, I have not done a lot of research on it, it is just readily available.

·
Registered
725 Posts
White Bottle. Most Common one. I forget what it is since I live in FL now....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use either the White or Grey Powerservice then on occasion the Ford additive which oddly seemed to give me the biggest mpg boost.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See i use powerservice, and i think that when i use it, it makes my motor "knock" when it gets hot. my buddy said it was because the powerservice is alcohol based, so it combusts at a higher temp or something than diesel fuel.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think your truckmay be knockin for another reason. I never had a knock And I dump some sludge in my tank. Powerservice, Sulfer additive, acouple quarts of used motor oil.... If its black or gresy it's been through my tank. Truck still ran and sounded like new!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use diesel kleen in the grey bottle.

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
I use diesel kleen in the grey bottle.
I used to use the white bottle but have switched to the gray bottle of deisel kleen. I really like it and I think I am getting better fuel mileage. I would switch to Stanadyn but cant get it around here

·
Registered
437 Posts
Some have said FPPF from O'Reilly is good for mpg boost. I have a bottle i'm going to put in my next tank when i fill up on the way home from work today.

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
I normally use powerservice. The only difference in the color bottles is different formulas for different weather. The white bottle is for winter use and the grey is for mostly summer use and the red is the 911 for thawing out fuel lines etc... My 01 7.3 would knock more after a long trip while i was using the grey bottle. It was an injector knock up top, something to do with the injector cackle in the #8 cyl.

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
The way I look at it is if there is something, anything out there to help this extremely crappy diesel we have to run perform better, I will buy it to protect the internals of my engine. when ULSD started at the pumps I lost 2-4 mpg right off the bat. With additives and other trials I have gained some of that back

·
Registered
396 Posts
FPPF for me, its whats for sale at my local auto parts store!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Anyone ever used redlines or rbp's diesel addictives? They sale them at 4wheelparts and pep boys auto. They both promise big gains

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone ever used Syntec? I have used it for over a year and had good results on my 6.o liter. Afriend of mine got me going on it cause he had an 02 7.3 and it smoothed it right out and his mileage went up almost 3 mpg. His truck had over 150000 miles. Seems to be really good stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its easy to use and you only have to use one fourth of an ounce per 20 gallons of fuel

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
Wow nice, whats the full name of it? Is it a ULSD formula to fix what this rotten diesel is lacking?

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
i'll say it once and i'll say it again, 2stroke oil!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts