Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck 04 fx4 has now turned 75K and I want to change all the fluids I don't know what viscositys and quantities to use in the tcase, tranny, front & rear diffs and also what makes do you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I recommend mobil1 for the diff fluids. 75-w90 front 75w-145 rear. Valvoline is good for mercon V.

Use mercon V for the Transfercase.

Mercon SP or LV for the transmission.

Mercon V for the power steering.

Dot 3 or 4 for the Brake fulid. I use DOT 4.

I and many get filters from here. I buy the bulk discount and sell the extras for my 2 next door neighbors that have 6.0's
www.dieselfiltersonline.com

When have you changed the
trans fluid, external filter, and internal filter?
the air filter?
Powersteering fluid?
Brake fluid?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that haven't done any up untill now all it has had done to date is EO and filters evry 10k and fuel filters every 15k

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
that seems a bit long on the EO. 6.0's are sensitive you might cut those intervals down a bit.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
For standard engine oil, go between 5,000 to 6,000 miles. Syn go 6,000 to 7,000. syn with a bypass I have gone up to 9,500 miles, that was my last oil change. this one I will be going 11,000 miles. I test the oil and I keep getting good results.

Transmission is 30,000 miles depending on how you change the fluid, then i will be shorter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen any problems going 10k on sythentic oil but I guess we will see when my next sample comes back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The last time I had my standard oil tested (Blackstone), they recommended that I push it out to 9k miles ... I have not been brave enough to let it go that long though.

I will probably switch over to a synthetic on the next change.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used amsoil in all of my fluids. You can go to there website and it will tell you what to use and how much it holds as well i like amsoil product but that is my .2 cents

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys I realy do aperciate the input.

I think on the next EO I will pull a sample at 5k and see what that says and go from there. I don't know if it's comeing form Europe or not but I have a realy hard time buying in the h 3k oil change interval. Maybe it's becuew I'm usto Changeing oil anywhere between 15- 25k

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up a blue spring from international on the way home :) still trying to find someone that sells mercon lv around here. Looks like it might be a trip to the stealership

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, the only thing that I could find that was lv compable was valvoline, i got mobil 1 dif oils and tcase oil and t6 5w40 EO
picked up $350 worth of oil good job she don't need this all the time!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So tonight I got the EO, tcase and trans done I haven't flushed it I just draind 8qts then I am going to drain again change the filters and fill back up again then run it for 1000miles pull another sample just out of intrest and compare it to the one I have just taken to see how much doing it this was cleans up.
But just as you get frustrated is nice to look up and find inspararion :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
amsoil?

i really like amsoil never used it in a diesel. mobil 1 is good i was wondering if u guys ever done royal purple all the way through the drivetrain and motor. i have done that oil change through four wheelers and bikes but not really a crew cab dually diesel lol.:taze:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts