Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bored today and wanted to know what my truck would sound like with no muffler so I looked under the truck and it looked like I could just unbolt everything from the cat back and take it off. I was able to, turned out to be more labor intensive than I bargained for so I really don't want to go through all the work again to have no gain lol.

I like the deep sound it has at idle, but I hate the raspyness it gets if I get on it. I don't know which route to go for exhaust since I have a lot of options from continuing a 3.5" straight pipe from the cat back, starting a 4" straight pipe from the cat back, deleting the cat and doing a full 3.5" straight pipe, or doing a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back (or other location?)

And as always I'm on a budget where cheap is good so what would you recommend? Any links? I'm not opposed to just bolting the stock unit back on, I just don't want to go through that mess again, it was a PITA!

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,571 Posts
MBRP 4" straight pipe with a 3.5" downpipe is a little less than $300. Great kit for the price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mhatlen

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I would go with aluminized steel and not SS because it sounds better. Down pipe is your call 3-1/2 will spool up a little bit better then 4". I put 4" on my cat and knocked it out wide open and put it into my exhaust. Reason was it smooths out exhaust at mid to high RPM's. The open can acts a bit like a resonator giving some cushion to exhaust pulses. Then a Donaldson 4" muffler sounds the best. It will tame the raspy growl at higher RPM's.

As far as the best quality for price: Diamond Eye CANNOT be beat. Best bends are gentle and flow much better than MBRP. I have had both, have MBRP now with a Diamond Eye 4" down pipe. I also have a Corsa SS 4" muffler but liked my old Donaldson better that was on my old truck.

So thats what I know about the exhaust. The empty CAT will help with that raspy growl, I have messed with lots of options in my two F250's. You can keep the cat with the honeycomb in it if you like and just weld on 4" to the rear pipe off of it. That will also tame the growl as well as lower the dB output overall. But will also raise EGT 100*.

The Donaldson muffler is the straight through model in 4". They cost about $80.00 or so.

I'm like you I liked the deep tone at idle and mid throttle. But my heart sunk at WOT, sounded so rough and raspy I hated it. So the empty cat and Donaldson brought it in right where I was happy.

Good Luck with it. Can all be done well under $400.00

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,571 Posts
Also, ive installed a few with 0 clearance issues on any of them. You do have to go back and readjust/tighten clamps back up after a week or 2.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
4" turbo back and leave the muffler and cat off if you dont need to get smogged

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
MBRP 4", that's what I have on the my truck on love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts