Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crawling around underneath looking at suspension parts since I have the so called Death Wobble and seen this set up in the rear. Can someone explain to me? Looks like some kind of bags or bumpers? Maybe additional weight set-up? So many things on the truck are way different then my previous 2002. Thanks for all your help :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I will look closer.... I do hear what sounds like air compressor or fuel pump running for a short time after I park the truck. The previous owner towed a 5th wheel RV. I am wondering if I really need them or if they actually work right. Does this increase the harshness of the ride? I don’t see anything in the truck to control them

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
The sound you hear after you park your truck and shut it off is most likely the DEF pump pumping the DEF out of the dosing line/tube.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep there are air lines.... so if I leave no air in them then the ride will be normal? Is this a Ford option? I wonder why the would have had these..... It has the #10,000 GVWR package already. If I run air I have no idea who mage them of what pressures there should be in them

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
from past experience, I always kept a few pounds 10-15 in them to keep them inflated when not towing or hauling; I ran mine completely empty and it ruined the bags.

I used to run mine between 50-70LBs depending on what I was hauling and where the truck would sit. If you aren't hauling anything heavy, you can remove them and just sell them too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks nd4speed. I will leave them and make sure there is some plow pressure air in them is they even work now. If not I might remove them but if I can keep them in and functional that might be better for the future. i will bust out an air gauge and see what is in them and lower it and check the ride

You guys are great! I have so many questions with this newer style truck as I find little things that are different or not working right

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant see who the manufacturer is but the look like air lift so I looked it up and it says run a min of 5psi. They had 0psi so I put 5 in and will see if they hold. If not I am removing them and all the brackets. Are these normal for peeps running 5th wheels on std bed trucks with a #10,000 rating?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I cant see who the manufacturer is but the look like air lift so I looked it up and it says run a min of 5psi. They had 0psi so I put 5 in and will see if they hold. If not I am removing them and all the brackets. Are these normal for peeps running 5th wheels on std bed trucks with a #10,000 rating?
Yes a lot of people use them, especially on F250s that don't have enough rake to keep the rear end from squatting when loaded. These bags will help keep your ride level when towing/hauling, and should improve the ride/control as well. Of all the things to discover under your truck, I'd say this is a good one for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, these are Air Bags for leveling the back of the truck when towing heavy loads. I just installed a set on my 2005 F250 this summer and they are great. The manufacturer does state you need to keep a low amount of pressure, can't remember if it was 10 psi, so look it up. I'd keep these on the truck as they cost $200-400 depending on the truck. Mine was a pain to install, yours looks simpler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same ones on my6.7. Just to help relieve pressure on leaf springs when carrying a large load. Mine have a gauge and a pair of switches to inflate or deflate depending on the size of the load. My camper in 13000 lbs empty and it has been very helpful. I keep them lightly inflated without any towing. But they do make the ride slightly stiffer

·
Registered
4 Posts
See if they hold the 5 psi pressure after a few weeks. Many air bags leak, so if yours leak annoyingly fast, I would remove them and trash them not sell them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See if they hold the 5 psi pressure after a few weeks. Many air bags leak, so if yours leak annoyingly fast, I would remove them and trash them not sell them.
My plan exactly...I will check and see if there is a p/n on the bag just in case it has the internal bumper like ZMANN said

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those are assist air bags. Possibly made by Air Lift or a competitor. I have a set on my 15 F250. I was hauling CNC machines back to my machine shop and each weighs about 10K. I drove one time from PA back to TN squatted horrible, so the next time we purchased a machine, I installed an air lift kit. Truck was fully loaded and sat completely level thanks to the air bags. Keep in mind that there is suppose to be a minimum amount of air pressure in them at all times to prevent bottoming out where you once had bump stops there. I think its 15-25psi. Find out if those are good and if they are, get that pressure up a little to prevent the possibility of damage. I love mine and its much better than having to add overloads for trucks like mine that only had a few leafs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are assist air bags. Possibly made by Air Lift or a competitor. I have a set on my 15 F250. I was hauling CNC machines back to my machine shop and each weighs about 10K. I drove one time from PA back to TN squatted horrible, so the next time we purchased a machine, I installed an air lift kit. Truck was fully loaded and sat completely level thanks to the air bags. Keep in mind that there is suppose to be a minimum amount of air pressure in them at all times to prevent bottoming out where you once had bump stops there. I think its 15-25psi. Find out if those are good and if they are, get that pressure up a little to prevent the possibility of damage. I love mine and its much better than having to add overloads for trucks like mine that only had a few leafs.
Yea since I don't have an RZV or carry heavy rear loads I with I had the bump stops back. I been putting air in them and one seems to leak slightly but not too bad. There is a air valve in each fender well. They are air lift I am pretty sure. Sure are a lot of parts in the set up :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ran a set in my last F150 screw, they work great for assisting load carrying, like everyone has said I ran about 5-8 Lbs in mine when empty any more than that and they would start to raise the a**end. If they are leaking, before you pitch the system inspect the tubing and connections. I believe it will leak there before the bags. I'm sure someone will want to take them off your hands if you don't need them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts