Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
that cannot be optioned from the Lariat trim?

I have an ‘18 F350 6.7 Lariat that I might be selling later this year after it’s paid off. We bought it to pull a 5th wheel but have since ruled that out. I think I still want a SD for the safety factor of driving a big truck but don’t feel the complexities of a diesel is worth using for short runs to the market. I may be still in need of some towing but not often enough to warrant a diesel. So I’m looking for a gas SD. And I will have a lot of equity in this truck to trade in.
It’s still 7-8 months away but I have been on the Ford site constructing some highly optioned Lariat builds as well as some Platinum builds trying to match the options as evenly as possible. Obviously items such as LED lights come standard on the Platinum but you have to pay extra on the Lariat. So it seems in every case I’m paying about $5k more for the Platinum. I realize the leather is better on the Platinum. But not $5k better.
What else am I missing that makes the Platinum worth that much more. I’m ok with a Lariat but might be willing to pay the extra for a Platinum if there are amenities THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE TO ME that cannot be optioned on a Lariat. I just don’t know what they are— if any.
I thought the ‘18 F350 6.7 was my last truck.
But now at age 68, this next purchase will certainly be my last truck so I want to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,931 Posts
When I did this same type of comparison it all ended up being about the interior trim. For the seats it's not specifically based only in the leather in any way. I can't say if the leather is a different "grade". I do think you gain the multi-contour seats with the massaging feature.

Now when I was buying my 2015 Platinum....the seat foam was WAY different over a Lariat truck. SO much more comfortable for me and my driving. Now I can easily drive 7 hours, stop, refuel, go another 7 hours to get to my destination. No soreness, no leg pain, no cramping, no tightness. Wish I had the current seat messaging feature in these seats.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control with forward collision warning/braking, and Lane Departure Assist.

Adaptive cruise is pretty nice. Wife has it on her Jeep. I use it a lot.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
I hope your gonna get that big block 7.3.

The 6.2 is kinda under powered in these big trucks.

I think Ford is only going to offer this big block for 2-3 years and resale will be really high cause people will want it. If I didn't go diesel I would have for sure gotten that big block 7.3 and put a MBRP exhaust on it before it rolled off the semi.

.........................and yes this is off topic from the post but I don't care. A guy has just got to ask.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The 7.3 is going to be the only gas engine available.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
One of the main differences is the Platinum labeling (e.g. on the tailgate) and bragging rights! Priceless.... :grin:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adaptive Cruise can be added to the Lariat trucks. He's trying to figure out what differences are there besides the options one can select when building a truck.

This. Thank you.
And yes, with the 7.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
Heated steering wheel? Not sure if that changed in the current model, but when I bought mine the only way to get a heated wheel was in the Platinum. I decided that paying $4500 more for it wasn't worth it.
Edit- The Platinum I was looking at was $4500 more than the Lariat I bought with the same options minus the heated wheel. Not saying the Platinum is a $4500 package.

·
Premium Member
11,502 Posts
My '17 Lariat has the heated steering wheel. I guess they could have removed it as an option in the later years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My '17 Lariat has the heated steering wheel. I guess they could have removed it as an option in the later years.
My 19 Lariat also has the heated steering wheel. Would be nice if I lived in a cold climate. I also use it to hook in my dashcam to the fuse with a add a fuse.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Platinum has better leather (I believe full leather seats vs trimmed leather) tailgate appliqué, multi contour seats and a little different wood grain and colour scheme. Maybe the picture I attached will help you narrow down what type of owner you want to be. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Platinum grille and tailgate appliqué are different than a Lariat. As well, the bottom of the windows have a chrome trim around them on the Platinum. Mirror caps are chrome and bumpers are paint matched versus paint matched mirror caps and chrome bumpers on the Lariat. Rims are different too. Massaging seats in the interior/multi contour seats. Also, the Platinum stitching on the seats/center console and color of the leather, either black or a burgundy color. The big thing is the massaging seats that only come on Platinum, KR, and Limited trucks.

·
Premium Member
11,502 Posts
My Lariat mirrors have chrome caps.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My Lariat mirrors have chrome caps.
Sounds like you have the chrome package on your truck which is an option on the Lariat. Do you also have chrome on the bottom of the windows?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like you have the chrome package on your truck which is an option on the Lariat. Do you also have chrome on the bottom of the windows?
I know I have the chrome package with the special 20 inch wheels, running board (would have loved the power folding ones) and chrome mirror caps and I do not have chrome on the bottom of the windows (looking at a picture right now)

·
Premium Member
11,502 Posts
I know I have the chrome package with the special 20 inch wheels, running board (would have loved the power folding ones) and chrome mirror caps and I do not have chrome on the bottom of the windows (looking at a picture right now)
No, I don't have the chrome strip either. Actually, I'm kinda glad I don't. I like chrome as a general rule, but I'm not really a fan of that strip on the Platinum.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Just had a guy jump all over me the other day when I said fully loaded Lariat. He said Lariat was “middle” of the road because there were 3 trims above a Lariat. I have built these trucks on Ford 3 ways to Mars at each trim level.

Massage seats, different colors inside, badging are about the only differences.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
For the 17-19, it seemed like a Platinum was cheaper to build than a fully loaded Lariat with all the options that a Platinum came with standard. I understand you can’t get the multi-contour seats in a Lariat. When I went to build a 2020, I was surprised that a moon roof is now an option on a Platinum and isn’t standard or at least, the build site gave me an option to add it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts