Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a modified E350 7.3 Diesel van with lift and 4x4 installed from Advanced 4x4 in Utah. It has 4" exhaust, 4:10 gears and the edge tuner on it. I notice that when I'm towing my 23' camping trailer around 60 MPH the van constantly pops back and forth between OD and 3rd gear. And the odd time out of nowhere when I'm going up an incline the van falls flat on its face and won't accelerate at all. with Wide open throttle it just slows down as I go up the incline. I don't feel any shift points and I don't feel the engine try and compensate. I had a quick look at the settings for my edge towing tune and it looks like they are all set to stock. Is there something I should be adjusting or trying to make it tow nicer? I can take OD off which prevents the constant shifting but then I run around 2400 RPM instead of 1600-1700 RPM, the van doesn't seem to struggle in OD it just keeps jumping back and forth between OD 4th and 3rd.

What setting are you using in your tuner?

THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
Well you're not going to like this... The edge tuner is seen as a plague for the powerstroke generation diesels. Especially on the 7.3ls 4r100s and E4RODS. Essentially they had a tendency to really hurt the transmissions and people didn't listen and then got a new transmission./major work sooner than later. Personally I would put the truck in stock and get the transmission looked at.

The only semi reputable tuner for the 7.3l made by edge is the super old gameboy looking one. After that the transmission tuning was very bad and engine power meh at best. Get the transmission looked at asap and sell the edge or keep it on stock and use it as a monitor if it has the screen and egt probe kit. The tuner you want if you have funds leftover is the php hydra. 90% use the tunes that come for your trucks specific computer code (hex code) but the instructions are easy and the tuning is leaps and bounds ahead. Ps if you have the edge tuner with the monitor. Run the edge on stock and use the gauge features and the php hydra plugs into your ecm directly. Many edge tuner owners end up doing it that way to save money.

Reactions: 7.3_TurboDiesel

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree. The best setting on the edge is when it’s in the trash. Get yourself a Hydra chip with some tunes from a reputable place; jelibuilt, 1023, gearhead, swamps, PHP, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K thanks, I'll look at the Hydra. The edge tuner I have is the old style "game boy" looking tuner but I do like the extra gauges it gives me.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It is useful to monitor temperatures and such, just the tuning is terrible. You can run a hydra and keep the edge just for gauges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts