Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be sending my ECM and my 6 position chip to [email protected] tuner in a couple of days. Sending the ECM in so I can get rid of the crappy e99 shifting strategy. My only mods are t500, exhaust, and air intake. My gauges should be here next week. The truck pulls a 10k trailer most weekends. So what tunes should I get?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I guess its all up to user preference, I ordered my DP tuner this week and bought stock, 80 tow, 80 econo,120 race. Being an early 99 you should have forged rods, and may be able to make use of the 140 extreme. My 90cc singles probably will fall on their face with my 120 race tune.

Other popular tunes people choose are 40 or 60 tow depending on load weight, high idle, drive through "whisper" tune (I believe its of more use on single shots) etc. I say read through the list and figure out what suits your fancy :)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I had the 80e and switched it for the 60e. I like the 60e way better for just cruisin around. No smoke, good power.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking stock, high idle, 40e, 60e, 80t, and 140 race. Still not sure though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nothing sounds wrong with that setup at all :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
i just bought a tuner from dp! i love it, really woke the truck up!!! i did
1 stock
2 high idle
3 40hp tow
4 80 econ
5 120 race
6 140 race
i leave it on 4 90% of the time

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Seems silly to waste time and space using all those 20hp incremental positions...

I'd do something like stock, hi idle, whisper idle, tow mode, and a hot setting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well high idle i use, and tow i use! drive around on the 80e. 120 or 140 just to play around i rarely use these ones! cant really notice a difference between 120 and 140 without injectors and such!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Seems silly to waste time and space using all those 20hp incremental positions...

I'd do something like stock, hi idle, whisper idle, tow mode, and a hot setting.
I tend to agree, only thing I would add is the eco tune because my hot tun shifts way to agressive for daily driving

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 80 econ is great, your going to be in that most of the time, the 60 Tow will be good for what your pulling, and you know when your in the tow tune, it really makes it nice.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
well high idle i use, and tow i use! drive around on the 80e. 120 or 140 just to play around i rarely use these ones! cant really notice a difference between 120 and 140 without injectors and such!
Depending on the tuner, they will tune the hot setting according to your truck (ie icp, hpop pressure, etc etc..). Driving around in the hottest setting is where mpg is best achieved also.

I tend to agree, only thing I would add is the eco tune because my hot tun shifts way to agressive for daily driving
Thats tuner dependent. Some will shift softer than others. Usually the tuner can soften up the shifts some, though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For your 10k trailer weight, I'd recommend the 60hp Tow tune for towing situations. Most ucstomers prefer the 80hp Economy for their daily driver, and our 120 Race will offer the best performance in an otherwise stock truck. The 140hp tunes don't usually make more power, with your T500 HPOP, they may, but they will smoke more.

Let us know how we can help :icon_ford:

·
Registered
574 Posts
May I suggest the no start in the 0 position. Great theft deterrent.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys

Ordering my dp tuner soon. Just have one burning question..... Since my truck is a Manuel would that mean I can save on tunes i.e. use 80 Econ and 80 tow as the same tune. Because from what I understand the differance in many of these tunes in shift points and firmness. So thus because of the fact that I'm doing the shifting would it make the tunes basically the same??

Thanks

·
Registered
805 Posts
hey guys

Ordering my dp tuner soon. Just have one burning question..... Since my truck is a Manuel would that mean I can save on tunes i.e. use 80 Econ and 80 tow as the same tune. Because from what I understand the differance in many of these tunes in shift points and firmness. So thus because of the fact that I'm doing the shifting would it make the tunes basically the same??

Thanks
Yes you are correct. I have PHP tunes but same difference and that is how they explained it to me.

I got:
stock
high idle
40 HP
80 HP
100 HP
140 HP

I tow in my 100 HP 95% of the time and never have any issues. Only tow about 7K lbs though. Use my high idle almost every time i start the truck to get it up to temp quicker. And i drive in stock till its warmed up, also fun to see how much of a difference the chip makes if you ever get bored of your tunes. I DD in the 140 tune more now since i upgraded the turbo, before i could not tell a difference between 100 and 140, now i feel a big bottom end difference. Both get me the same fuel economy if i keep my foot out of it.

I never use the 40 HP tune, and rarely use the 80 HP tune unless im pulling a steep grade and start pushin 1250 EGT's.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Skip the DP tuner... Why "buy" a chip you are only renting from DP? You do understand you can not put anyone elses tunes on a DP chip...

Get a Power Hungry Performance Hydra chip. You OWN the chip, you can put whom evers tunes you want on it. If someone will send you a tune, you can install it on YOUR chip.

Also with the PHP Hydra you can throw ANY of there tunes on your chip... ANY. So load it up with 17 tunes if you want...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have any of you ran dp? How do you like it compared to php. I understand the whole chip thing, just talking tunes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I can let you know in a week or so.

My hydra is on its way...

I was happy with my DP, great customer service, tunes seemed fine, not overly smokey, reasonable EGT's, definitely helped fuel mileage.

I want the variety, and to be able to add tunes myself without sending the chip away.... the DP f6 has that ability but compare the cost of that to the Hydra and now 50$ a tune for stock stuff from DP... I switched.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts