Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been reading and reading for days! What dp is the best for the obs? What is the easy one to install? What is the whole deal with the firewall issue? Also heard one guy say he cut a chunk out of his trans for it to fit and it was a five like mine?

Let me know your thoughts! Truck its goin on is in the sig!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got the dymond eye Two peice down pipe and very east to install since it is in two peices and after you beat the crease in on the firewall

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else?

Also does anyone have any pictures of there dp before and after install and one of the area of the firewall they had to fix?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Did Diamond eye also. Had to massage firewall

·
Registered
214 Posts
the ez think is installing the new one the hard thing is to get the old one out a big pain in the butt you have to cut it in three places up by the turbo ,in the middle and at the cat make a big dif in power use a bfh and a 2x4 to beat the firewall back two pc is the only way to go

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
My OBS had a 3" DP on it, from the previous owner. It seems standard the only way you are going to get a DP on a OBS is it to be a 2 piece 3" pipe and have to beat the crease in the firewall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bully Dog.....Just had to bend the pinch weld a little but fits nicely.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bully Dog.....Just had to bend the pinch weld a little but fits nicely.
What about the firewall? Did you have to mess with it?

Also is everyone having to mess with the firewall to get the oem pipe out or to make room for the new pipe?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You will have to make some adjustments to the firewall regardless of which downpipe / exhaust you choose. That would be on the install of the new downpipe. I've heard the install with a manual is a little tougher than an automatic. Look at the Gail Banks site. IIFC there are some good illustrations in the install pdf files there.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will have to make some adjustments to the firewall regardless of which downpipe / exhaust you choose. That would be on the install of the new downpipe. I've heard the install with a manual is a little tougher than an automatic. Look at the Gail Banks site. IIFC there are some good illustrations in the install pdf files there.
What is IIFC?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is the pince weld you have to beat up to the fire wall for it not to rub. It doesnt look bad at alll once you beat it. I thought it was going to look bad but it doesnt at all and the stock down pipe you have t cut out of there.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Personally I like Hypermaxes down pipe. It has a 3.5" slip at the bottom so you don't reuse the facory flange which makes it easier to adapt to a 4" system the rest of the way back. And they are one of the cheapest at $130ish last I checked.

You only have to cut the stock down pipe once maybe twice on teh 5 speed. Unbolt it and push it up as high as you can. I usually use a strap to hold it there. Then cut it as low as you can from the top. I think the 5 speed's cross member is in a little different position so you may need to cut a chunk off the bottom of it too. It should slide right out the bottom.

A long 2X4 and/or a big prybar should be all you need to massage the firewall seam back. The 5speeds have a flange that sticks out that makes it harder to get the pipe in so you have to massage the firewall a little extra. It's not in the way at all once it's in but just for getting it in.

I was kind of wondering what IIFC stood for myself. IIRC is typically If I Recall Correctly but not sure about the F. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts