Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 18' dovetail steel open deck car hauler to replace my used uhaul trailer i was using. the uhaul had tire straps that went over the tire to hold the car down.

Hauled a Fullsize Bronco last night and had 2 of my ratchet straps break on me, luckily the truck stayed put, but I don't want to chance this ever happening again.

what do you guys used/ recommend to secure cars to trailers? also my brake controller needs to be replaced, any suggestions on whats good for the money out there?

any other essentials i should have for towing/hauling in general?

·
Registered
957 Posts
We've been installing the Tekonsha Prodogy brake controller for about three years. haven't replaced any and customers like the fool proof function.

ratchet straps work great but should be replaced when worn. should be stored out of the weather. I use one safety chain front and rear as well for peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Tekonsha prodigy or P3 for the brake controller. What you use to tie it down can vary. Its now illegal in some states to use chain and binders. I use good heavy axle straps and ratchets on cars. On my off road truck I use chain and binders

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
E-Track and Straps

Etrack makes some pretty versatile stuff. you can bolt the track to the floor, and get the tire over straps. I have the tracks on the walls of my cargo trailer so I can strap stuff to the walls.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Just realized it was an open deck trailer...... For hauling straight axle'd vehicles you can't go wrong with a chain around the axle and a chain binder. :thumb:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tekonsha prodigy or P3 for the brake controller. What you use to tie it down can vary. Its now illegal in some states to use chain and binders. I use good heavy axle straps and ratchets on cars. On my off road truck I use chain and binders
Why is that? It's most commonly used for tying down equipment and materials on flatbeds. I even have a set for chains and binders as well as scraps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used to run axle straps and ratcheting tie downs. If you swing over to Summit they probably still have the same setup, rated to 10,000 pounds, you can get a set for the front and a set for the rear for about $100. Very high quality and the axle straps make it real easy to tie down anything.

Adam

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Prodigy Brake Controller for sure and we haul cars daily and use the ratchet straps with the locking hook on each end and axle straps. You can get them at TSC or on ebay pretty easy!

·
Registered
295 Posts
home depot for about $15-20 you can get 20' yellow straps rated for 10k. I think they even have them now in camo pattern. Four of those and youll be fine, or two with a chail in the back, at least I havent had any problems... good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts