Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
We are a**/u/ming that the IPR is actually closing off and building pressure -- and that there are no injector oring leaks
As many times as he has tried to start it if there were a injector o-ring leaking oil he would have pumped a quart or 2 into the fuel tanks and engine oil dipstick would show low oil level. In my experience even with a leaking o-ring the high pressure system still builds some pressure. I wonder if someone failed to remove the plastic port plug from shipping when the hpop was installed

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Lots of things to go wrong in that pump -- when you get to searching vids, there are a few that show carnage when the swash plate decides to rotate in the housing -- the other failure is usually a scored valve plate

The pump design is a very "inexpensive" build -- tried to say that nice for , cheap

We are a**/u/ming that the IPR is actually closing off and building pressure -- and that there are no injector oring leaks
I'll be connecting to ForScan tomorrow so will get some numbers to you then. Will monitor

CPS status
ICP pressure
ICP voltage
IRP%
cranking volts
fuel pulse width

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
As many times as he has tried to start it if there were a injector o-ring leaking oil he would have pumped a quart or 2 into the fuel tanks and engine oil dipstick would show low oil level. In my experience even with a leaking o-ring the high pressure system still builds some pressure. I wonder if someone failed to remove the plastic port plug from shipping when the hpop was installed
I will defiantly check that in the morning

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
Good point on the port plug -- I actually have seen that very thing on a few hydraulic pumps in my career

Upper oring leaking would just pump back into the crankcase -- lower (middle) would pump into the fuel

Maybe remove the gauge hose and crank crank to see if any oil pumps out -- Hmm, maybe the low pressure pump would affect that, so not a good test

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Upper oring leaking would just pump back into the crankcase -- lower (middle) would pump into the fuel
True, but unless someone was very careless or forgot to install the upper o-ring I've never seen one get tore up when installing. He should still see a little pressure, at least really good flow with the gauge removed

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
This may seem like a silly question but does the key need to be on in order to get a pressure reading? I did it with the key off using a remote starter switch.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yes. I've never tried to get a reading with the key off but if I remember correctly with key off and no power to the icp and ipr the ipr will not close and build pressure

Reactions: timlsalem

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
This may seem like a silly question but does the key need to be on in order to get a pressure reading? I did it with the key off using a remote starter switch.
Um yeah, ...testing that pressure , just start the engine normally (or turn the key on and use the jumper)
Using the starter jumper with the key off does not power the IPR at all -- need the IPR valve to close so pressure will build

Reactions: timlsalem

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Ya, I was thinking about it, last night, lying in bed. If no power is getting to the IPR how would it build pressure. I really feel like a newbie. Thanks for setting me straight guys. Will be doing the gauge test again after I see what ForScan is bringing up. The guy that checked out my PCM said I need to crank the motor for 30 - 45 seconds and then let it cool down for 2 -3 minutes and do it again. Does that seem right or should I crank it less time than that? A lot of places on You Tube says 15 seconds with cool down 2 minutes. I've never heard anyone suggest 30 - 45 seconds.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Your pcm guy is correct. If you have a nippondenso superduty start you could crank a little longer

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I ran ForScan three times, and I'm confused. Where do I get my readings at? The numbers I'm getting are jumping all over. For instance, I'm in the ForScan gauges and at the bottom of the screen there are 1 arrow and a double arrow and on the other side there are the same arrows. The readings I have are fuel PW 2.36--ICP 14246.1 kpa--ICPV 252.1 kpa---IPR 18,75%---RPM 181. Then I click on the double arrows and the numbers begin to change. Now I get Fuel PW---0.42---ICP 152.3---ICPV 252.1---IPR 93.75%---RPM 173. How do I get numbers that I can depend on if they are always jumping around?

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
Laptop or Lite version ?

The arrows at the bottom of the window cause the data to scroll thru history, so you can go back and see -- usually do not use these unless there is a need to look back -- there should also be a little box that slides in that same track

Usually just click the Go and Stop buttons just below
Go into options and change that chit to Imperial -- makes it easier on my old brain
You need to get a baseline of those readings at key on (Table tab) -- then look again at cranking
the oscilloscope tab is handy for watching trends in the readings -- you can switch back and forth between tabs
Then use the History buttons or slider to view what has happened

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I'm using a laptop. So, when I first connect the OBD2 up to my laptop and open ForScan and connect I should turn the key on but don't crank and open the table tab and see if there is anything there? Out of the gauges I'm monitoring what should the readings be, do you know? I do get a 14.8% on the IPR but other than that I don't remember anything else coming up. Just 0.0
I did hook up the pressure gauge again for the HPOP and with key on this time I still got zillch, nadah. Didn't even try to move. I did get a blast of oil when I pulled the plug out though, like it was under pressure. I think 500 psi or more would cause it to shoot next door to my neighbor's house, wouldn't it? It's getting too hot out there now, so I'll mess with it some more in the morning. I will take the lines off the HPOP slowly, one at a time, to see if I get oil coming out of them. I think if oil comes out, it should mean there is no obstructions. I'm trying everything not to have to take the HPOP off but it's looking more and more like that's what I'm going to end up doing. I'll have to ship it back to Corey so he can find out what's going on with it.

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
Yup, turn the key On -- Start ForScan and click the connect button (looks like an extension cord plug) -- wait until the connection is finished
Check DTC's using the next button down the left side -- write them down, then clear the codes (second yellow triangle at the bottom of the window)
Next button the left - oscilloscope - Dashboard tab - double click or use the gear icon at the bottom of the window
Choose which PID's you want by double clicking the name or highlighting and using the arrow icon
When done click the Check Mark

Back at the Dashboard tab you should see the PID's you have chosen -- it makes no difference which tab you choose, use the one that is easiest to see the readings (table has the best descriptions)
Now, click the Start Live Data button (arrow at the bottom of the screen)
Data will start recording -- you can see the timer running and the slider at the bottom of the window moving -- take your key on readings
When done, start the truck (if it will) and watch the readings for weirdness
When you are done, click the Stop button and review the readings -- you can use the little arrows or the slider to scroll back thru the data -- pretty nifty so far, Eh

ICP voltage -- 0.19
ICP pressure -- 0
IPR % -- 14
RPM -- 0
Fuel PW -- 0

Cranking
ICP voltage -- 0.8 - 1.2
ICP pressure -- 500 - 1600
IPR % -- 30 ish
RPM -- greater than > 100
Fuel PW -- not sure on a 7.3 but 2.00 ish

Lemme know if this stuff is as clear as mud

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Yup, turn the key On -- Start ForScan and click the connect button (looks like an extension cord plug) -- wait until the connection is finished
Check DTC's using the next button down the left side -- write them down, then clear the codes (second yellow triangle at the bottom of the window)
Next button the left - oscilloscope - Dashboard tab - double click or use the gear icon at the bottom of the window
Choose which PID's you want by double clicking the name or highlighting and using the arrow icon
When done click the Check Mark

Back at the Dashboard tab you should see the PID's you have chosen -- it makes no difference which tab you choose, use the one that is easiest to see the readings (table has the best descriptions)
Now, click the Start Live Data button (arrow at the bottom of the screen)
Data will start recording -- you can see the timer running and the slider at the bottom of the window moving -- take your key on readings
When done, start the truck (if it will) and watch the readings for weirdness
When you are done, click the Stop button and review the readings -- you can use the little arrows or the slider to scroll back thru the data -- pretty nifty so far, Eh

ICP voltage -- 0.19
ICP pressure -- 0
IPR % -- 14
RPM -- 0
Fuel PW -- 0

Cranking
ICP voltage -- 0.8 - 1.2
ICP pressure -- 500 - 1600
IPR % -- 30 ish
RPM -- greater than > 100
Fuel PW -- not sure on a 7.3 but 2.00 ish

Lemme know if this stuff is as clear as mud
Ya, I'm doing all this. Only thing is when I start live data with KOEO the numbers jump around except IPR% which stays at 14.8%. When cranking the numbers still jump all over the place. Do I try to find the lowest and highest numbers and than average them to get the reading? When I'm cranking, the ICP pressure is low then about 10 - 12 seconds of cranking the CEL comes on and the ICP pressure shoots up to 2465 psi and holds there. I did go in and change the readings to imperial but it's still reading in kpa so I uploaded a conversion program on the innerweb to change the readings from kpa to psi.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
What is the CPS reading for RPM when cranking? I'm having a hard time figuring out why the IPR% is just staying at a KOEO value of 14.8% while cranking. If there's no/low ICP, the IPR% should be up over 50%. Does the PCM know that the engine is cranking? Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
After changing to imperial, restart ForScan and it should take
That pressure shooting up may only mean the PCM is using the inferred numbers -- the ICP sensor voltage would also have to shoot up for the pressure reading the be real

@Patrick Feeley if there is an RPM reading, the cam position sensor should be working -- thought the OP mentioned having RPM ?

The numbers should not jumping all over the place at key on -- maybe the last digit, but not any of the whole numbers , only the last place on the decimal

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back. Here is what I've got.

KOEO----ICP, 21.5 TO 22, ICPV 20.3 TO 24.3 IPR% 14.8 "This is what I mean by bouncing all over. it does it whether I'm cranking or not."

ENGINE CRANKING---FPW 0.42, ICP, 17 TO 32.2, ICPV, 16.8 TO 34.5, IPR%, 85.55 TO 93.75, RPM, 182 steady

Then CEL comes on and these are the readings I get.
FPW, 2.28, ICP 2465.6, ICPV 31.1, IPR%, 39.06, RPM, 182.

Then I stop cranking and these are the final numbers FPW,2.28, ICP, 3.9, ICPV, 26.3, RPM, 0. When the CEL comes on it throws the code P1212. so, I check the level in the res and notice bubbles like about every 15 seconds one comes up to the top of the fill hole. I've left the plug out for now to see if the level changes with time. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
ICP volts, do you have the point in the wrong position ? Should be 0.16 - .023 volts KOEO

Some of the voltages break on the half volt, so the reading may jump between say 12 and 12.5 -- this is normal -- same for pressures

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Those numbers are just as they come off ForScan. I checked the res and the level hasn't dropped but the bubble is still there. Is that normal? I'm thinking that can't be good. There is no oil anywhere in the valley or anywhere else for that matter. Is it possible for air to get by the o ring on the IPR and not have any oil escaping? It is a new motorcraft and the ICP is also. I replaced both pig tail connectors at the same time.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts