Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was notified yesterday my new PCM has shipped so I should have it by the end of the week. I'm just wondering about hooking it up. Now, It does come with a two year warranty on it except it states if I break the security tape it will void the warranty. I have to break the tape to clean the J3 port and connect the Hydra. I'm not sure how to do this part. Should I connect the PCM first and make sure the truck will start or do the modification on the PCM and then connect it? Won't I just flood the cylinders with fuel if I don't load the Hydra onto the PCM with the 160/30 program or will it be fine without? I'm not shy about voiding the warranty but, the truck hasn't been started since the upgraded injectors and stage 2 HPOP was installed, so I don't know if I'll have trouble starting it without loading the Hydra first. I'm leaning towards just doing the mod. on the J3 port and then putting the PCM back where it goes in the firewall. Do you think I will have trouble doing it that way? Thanks

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the right tunes? yes I won't know what the hex code is until I have the PCM in my hands. It was flashed using my year and VIN so I'm thinking it will be the same code as the fried one.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I think go stock until you see that the new PCM and engine are working as intended first -- then install the Hydra

The amount of fuel in the cylinder is what affects the RPM of the engine -- the PCM will control that fuel just fine for normal running

Reactions: Josh317

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think go stock until you see that the new PCM and engine are working as intended first -- then install the Hydra

The amount of fuel in the cylinder is what affects the RPM of the engine -- the PCM will control that fuel just fine for normal running
If I'm correct, you're saying the 160/30 hybrids will work correctly with just the stock PCM?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Ayup, ...normal driving will be no difference over stock
you will only notice any difference at high load or wot
the injectors will behave much like stock
the tips have a greater flow capability, but only if the pcm knows to push them

What I was getting at , is to make sure all the problems are fixed before voiding the warranty

Reactions: White95f250

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ayup, ...normal driving will be no difference over stock
you will only notice any difference at high load or wot
the injectors will behave much like stock
the tips have a greater flow capability, but only if the pcm knows to push them

What I was getting at , is to make sure all the problems are fixed before voiding the warranty
Got you. Thank you so much for the advice and the schooling about the PCM, which I didn't know.

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no start. No codes showing up. Just cranks and cranks and cranks. Got the charger on it now. Can someone explain to me why, when I got my Hydra, it was sealed in a pouch with a warning on it that said "engine will not start without this" meaning the chip?

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Still no start. No codes showing up. Just cranks and cranks and cranks. Got the charger on it now. Can someone explain to me why, when I got my Hydra, it was sealed in a pouch with a warning on it that said "engine will not start without this" meaning the chip?
Probably means you need the tunes that are on there. I'd get clarification from the vendor.

Have you checked all the pressures and make sure the injectors are firing?

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a buzz test and all 8 fired. I have 60+ fuel pressure and 41 psi oil pressure when cranking. HPOP full and I have 12.6 volts showing at the GPR with key off and 0 with key on.

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a buzz test and all 8 fired. I have 60+ fuel pressure and 41 psi oil pressure when cranking. HPOP full and I have 12.6 volts showing at the GPR with key off and 0 with key on.
Scratch that GPR test. I didn't do it correctly. Doing it the right way I get battery volts on one big lug and with the key on I checked the other big lug and got about 11.7.

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do I go about finding the HPOP pressure? Is there any youtube videos on how to use Forscan? I'm using it but don't really know what I'm doing. In Forscan under the wrench I get the message PCM: reset all adaptations. Do I or don't I? I did the buzz test with the old PCM installed but now with this new one installed I can't find where to look to do it again.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
So, ...go into why you are installing a new PCM in the first place -- is the PCM and the Hydra from the same vendor ?

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, ...go into why you are installing a new PCM in the first place -- is the PCM and the Hydra from the same vendor ?
Well, long story short, after trying to start the truck for 5 days with no luck I decided to get the new one. The old PCM was pretty torn up on the J3 port by someone else. It looked like it could be shorting out. I got the PCM from Flagship One Inc. and the Hydra came from Irate Diesel. Tomorrow, if I'm not so depressed still, I'll try to get under and take the new Motorcraft CPS out that I just installed and see if Ford has one in stock. I've read where even new ones are sometimes bad. From everything I've read if the tach moves when trying to start the truck it means the CPS is good and mine doesn't. It didn't before I replaced it with this new one either. I've checked all fuses, replaced the #1 relay (under hood) just incase. I don't know what else to do.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Just trying to understand why the Hydra had that warning note, since they would not have known anything about your PCM

Tach does not move on all models, use ForScan to see if there is an RPM reading

Anyways:
need to post the critical parameters for the engine KOEO and cranking
IPR %
ICP voltage and pressure
Fuel Pulse Width
System voltage
RPM
Fuel Pressure would be a bonus

Hmm, what else on a 7.3, have to think about it more ...

EDIT: Just noticed the year range 94-98 that will make some difference in what I asked for

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't been able to find any information on how to use ForScan yet. I plug in to laptop and then open ForScan. It loads a lot of information up on the first screen you come to after opening Forscan. everything has checks by them. Then on the left side of the screen I go down to the wrench icon and click it. Only thing in there is this. (PCM: Reset all adaptations) I click on that, and a window opens that asks if I want to continue and there is a yes and no button in that window. I looked all over the internet, and I can't find anything that explains what, Reset all adaptations, means or what it will do if I proceed to continue and do it. As far as what you are wanting to know, I don't know how to get those figures. I sure would like to know how to get that RPM reading using ForScan before having to wrestle with the CPS again. I still have cuts on my arm from replacing the old one two weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Desktop or Lite version ?
you said "click" so guessing desktop

On the left side of the main window see the yellow triangle with DTC?
that will give a list of faults - and at the bottom allow you to clear those faults

Also on the left side
the Scope (box with squiggle lines) is where you can setup gauges -- three tabs at the top let you see different vlews
basically DBL click and pick the PID you want to monitor from the list

The Clip Board - vehicle tests
will vary with the truck model year -- later models will have more capabilities

Don't mess with the other buttons at this time -- we can get into their use later

Look at the Settings and change those to Imperial

Reactions: timlsalem

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll see if I can pull up these numbers and post them here later this morning.

IPR %
ICP voltage and pressure
Fuel Pulse Width
System voltage
RPM
Fuel Pressure would be a bonus

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did the KOEO on demand test and got a DTC P0475. Nothing was coming up on the scope. I clicked on the one just below the scope and that's where the tests that I could do with KOEO showed up. I was monitoring the scope while cranking but like I said, nothing was coming up there.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts