Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i have an opportunity to buy a 10in. lift with nearly brand new 40 in. ground hawgs only got 3000 miles on them on 16.5x12 weld typhoons for 1500 bucks is this a good deal.

also for you guys with bigger lifts like this what is you fuel mileage just curious

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i figured that i can it up to about 18 right now but im do for new tires real soon and i figure i would have 1000 to 100 in just tires the same ones i got now

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
DO NOT USE 16.5" WHEELS...THEY ARE SUICIDE WHEELS. First time you get low on air you will wish you hadn't bought them. There is no Bead Seat for the tires so when you are low on air you can lose your tire all together. The 16.5 was designed for offroad and military applications only so you can change a tire on the trail. They are Horrible for street applications..and unsafe, hence suicide wheel. Other than that, it sounds good.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i ment 1000 to 1100 in just tires

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but i real like the groung hawgs they seem to last forever and they look awsome i not a real fan of the 20inch plus wheels as long as i maintain my tire pressures i should be fine with 16.5 wheels they dont make 40 ground hawgs in other rim sizes beside 15in.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
to each his own...the big tire small rim look went out with the leisure suit, lol. Im not into the big rims rubber band tire either, a good balance though is needed to make the truck look tip top. Just throwing in my .02 to help out.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i here you thanks for the input what kind of fuel milage are you getting

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
With my set-up, I am averaging about 13 mpg's, I can get to 15 or 16 if I knock down my program from Performance to tow safe.

·
Registered
771 Posts
... on the other hand, your truck would look sweet.

·
Registered
738 Posts
its a good deal i guess, but those bias plys are going to suck with an 8000lb+ truck. Those tires arent meant for a rim wider than 9.75 according to interco. They're 6plys, 30psi max, 2700lb load rating.......hope you dont want to tow anything. You're not gonna get better than 15mpg unless you're coasting downhill for hours.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
when ya lift a truck and do stuff like that, fuel mileage becomes less of a concern. I have 40" boggers on my ol' K-5 Blazer, I have no idea what mileage it gets, spends more time in low range in the woods than on the road... doesn't even have the odo still in the dash!

As to the value of the lift, rims, and tires, yeah, sounds like a good price, are all the little goodies there for the lift, shocks, brackets, etc? I've run 16.5" tires/rims for a while, a narrower rim with a wider tire helps keep the bead on the rim, but keep 'em aired up and you'll be ok. Been runnin' the 40" boggers on 10" wide rims at about 15 psi on an 8000 lb 1 ton blazer, no beads off the rim yet... it's had it's share of side wall pressure, and so far.... no major problems. Just be careful and the can be ok... not great, but ok.

For the money, it sounds like a good deal to me. It's up to you if you wanna do that to your truck... each person has their own critria for what they want... We all wanna see pictures when you're done!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes its off my buddies truck i helped put the lift on and its come with a the little parts and i know the tires have really low miles on them cuase i was there when we put them on i know the fuel milage will go down and the only trailer ill be pulling is my fourwheeler trailer PLUS I THINK MY TRUCK WOULD LOOK AWSOME

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Dont do it... Your milage will be gone, your tranny will go bye bye, good luck taking it on trips anymore...

Your truck looks great now, and short box trucks lifted that high look gay IMHO...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear you i really dont know what i want to do i know how much he paid for everything exactly and i know its a good deal. what about something like a 6in. lift and 36-37 tires how bad would that be

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Thats about the MAX I would go. I have a buddy that has a short box with a 8" and 37's, and it looks as long as it is high.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts