Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temp gauge never moved today. It was 75* i only drove like 6 miles so i didn't think it would move, then the other day i drove 8 miles pulling 7,000 pounds, and drove a total of 25 miles. it was around 72* out, it never moved. my pyro runs good and cool at 60 mph today it was 600

·
Registered
84 Posts
6 to 8 miles isnt enough to make your tranny gauge rise, You want that gauge to stay as low as possible... just my thought

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
To get your trans temp gauge to move you need to work the truck hard. You should have some type of reading around 100 degrees though at least. If your gauge is not reading anything then you may want to check the wiring and the sending unit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To get your trans temp gauge to move you need to work the truck hard. You should have some type of reading around 100 degrees though at least. If your gauge is not reading anything then you may want to check the wiring and the sending unit.

the gauge starts at 100 degrees.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
the gauge starts at 100 degrees.
I understand that. But like on my gauges the needle stays below 100, it eventually moves up to one hundred and then stays there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You tranny gauge should read about 70 degrees above outside air temp - not towing. Towing is a different story. Towing my 10K 5th wheeler at 100 degrees OAT the tranny temps where around 190.

You can check you tranny temps also by hooking up a scanner like AE or a programmer like the predator. They will read the temp that the PCM is reciving from the stock tranny temp sensor. If you hit 225 degrees you should pull over and let her cool down, above those temps dino trans fluid will start to break down quickly and you will get that burnt tranny fluid smell. Does you tranny fluid have that burnt smell to it when you see the gauge hitting 250? You should, because that is too hot. The fluid in the torque converter can be even hotter than what the trans temp gauge reads. Definitley need to determine wether this is a gauge or tranny issue - IIRC 238 degrees is what sets the in dash trans temp gauge on the newer models up to H

Synthetic tranny fluid will hold up to higher temps much better than the dino fluid.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Big nasty,

You for sure have a problem. For the OP, your trans cooling system has over 4 1/2 gal of fluid in it. It is going to warm up in 6 miles. The more of a load you are hauling the quicker it will warm up. You don't have to "work it hard" to get it to register either. Average trans temp is 70-90 over ambient, after 20 min or so of warm up, 70 for unloaded and 90 for loaded. Although anything below 200 is just fine ( 230 according to Ford) if you have sustained temps over 200 you need more cooling IMHO. So go out for a 20 min drive and it should move. If it doesn't check your ground. If you used Isspro gauges the threads on the sensor need to make contact with the casing to properly ground.
Big nasty, I doubt your gauge is bad, but it could be, I would bet your bypass line may be bad. Especially if you are seeing gauge movement that high after 5 min. Drive the truck for 20 min, crawl under the pass side and grab the bypass line. If it is warm or hot, your bypass is shot, and you need to get it fixed, pronto. For more ? PM me.

NCH

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The fluid in the torque converter can be even hotter that what the trans temp gauge reads.

I hope you meant to say " than what the trans gauge reads" because your trans gauge ain't reading the TC fluid.

NCH

·
Registered
366 Posts
The temp gauge never moved today. It was 75* i only drove like 6 miles so i didn't think it would move, then the other day i drove 8 miles pulling 7,000 pounds, and drove a total of 25 miles. it was around 72* out, it never moved. my pyro runs good and cool at 60 mph today it was 600

My ISSPRO tranny gauge has done something similiar to me a couple of times in the past:

Disconnect the wire harness connection from the sending unit in the tranny test port hole and clean it out. Occassioinal moisture will collect in there and not allow a good connection. I sprayed a little WD40 in there then blew it out with an air hose. Also check the wire connections that lead to the tranny temp box under the dash. I believe there are 4 wires that connect into that unit. Unscrew the connections then reinstall, I have had a wire come loose from there before also. Did you use any teflon tape or sealant when you installed the sending unit into the tranny test port? Like NCHornet said, threads on the sensor need to make contact with the casing .

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I hope you meant to say " than what the trans gauge reads" because your trans gauge ain't reading the TC fluid.

NCH
Yep, that's what I meant....

·
Registered
366 Posts

NCH
Yep, that's what I meant.... I need more cofee! Thanks for the catch man.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My ISSPRO tranny gauge has done something similiar to me a couple of times in the past:

Disconnect the wire harness connection from the sending unit in the tranny test port hole and clean it out. Occassioinal moisture will collect in there and not allow a good connection. I sprayed a little WD40 in there then blew it out with an air hose. Also check the wire connections that lead to the tranny temp box under the dash. I believe there are 4 wires that connect into that unit. Unscrew the connections then reinstall, I have had a wire come loose from there before also. Did you use any teflon tape or sealant when you installed the sending unit into the tranny test port? Like NCHornet said, threads on the sensor need to make contact with the casing .

Hope this helps.....

I just put the gauges in. yes i used teflon tape. today it was 73* i drove only like 15 miles and it never moved off 100

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I drove mine almost an hour mostly on the highway on cruise at about 70mph and it read 110. Once I slowed down back to 55 and lower speed roads it sat on the 100 where it starts. That seem normal?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Driving around empty it'll go to 105 or so if I'm real heavy on the pedal and city driving. Towing a big camper it's at around 180. Mostly highway 75mph

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just put the gauges in. yes i used teflon tape. today it was 73* i drove only like 15 miles and it never moved off 100
15 miles should be long enough considering it was over 70 degrees outside but you might want to drive it a little further to make sure. If the needlle doesn't budge try removing the sensor and clean off the teflon tape then reinstall. You could try only putting the tape only on the last few threads if you need to, so the sensor can still be grounded to the casing. IIRC I didn't need to use any tape or sealant on the sensor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts