Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K. with prices going up it gives me a reason to start building my CJ :) i was just going to fix a few things and drive it around hoping for better fuel milaege but that big 258 6cyl isn't gonna give me any better than my truck. so the search is on for a small diesel engine to put into her. my original plan (years ago) was to buy a 4cyl Cummins and put it in the jeep but the budget will not allow for a new engine like that.

i know some of you will suggest to put a 7.3L or a 6.0L but im looking to put a smaller engine than that for the best fuel economy. what kind of engine do you think i can transplant into my 85CJ7? i am open to suggestions. i want to start building her this summer so i got some time to think over what all im going to need

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
5.9L cummins 12 valve

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
find an old Mercedes or bmw diesel they are older but bullet proof especial the older Mercedes ones they are cheap too when you find them

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
VW TDI? How can that message be too short?Farkin website.
Those 1.9L engines would be impossible to fit in a jeep and the jeep would only be front wheel drive. And the tranny and alxes wouldn't hold up moving his jeep for very long...

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I completely agree. 1970's Mercedes diesel's are easy/cheap to come by.
Even the early 80s mercedes are cheap. In NY my dad bought an 82 340 turbo for $750, and a 83 turbo diesel for 1500, and body wouldnt even matter to you if all you want is the motor, which are dead easy to work on.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
3.9L cummins 4cyl engine !!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
What about the Jeep diesel that came in the Liberty??? Newer design and you could have an easier time with parts support. It's already beefy enough to be put in a 4x4 application. The aftermarket segment is also working on hop-ups for theses motors so a bit more power could be easily had.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about the Jeep diesel that came in the Liberty??? Newer design and you could have an easier time with parts support. It's already beefy enough to be put in a 4x4 application. The aftermarket segment is also working on hop-ups for theses motors so a bit more power could be easily had.
that would be a good choice but they are very expensive and hard to find out here in cali.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
how about a used 4bt cummins engine?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Or a Cummins 3BT

·
Registered
145 Posts
How about either a Isuzu 4BD1Tor 4BD2T.

Overview

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
4BD1, I can vouch for how long thay last. I have 2 as gensets, 1 of them has 47K hrs, and some of those hrs are not easy. They don't build them any more though, Emitions B.S.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The guy from the link I have posted swapped one into a Chevy 1500 and is getting 24/32 mpg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts