Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

26441 - 26460 of 26536 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well ****. Got my alignment done finally, and all the numbers are dead on where they should be. Four miles from the Firestone it starts thumping, I pulled off and saw this. I assume the rim is trashed. Waiting for a tow truck now.

·
Registered
826 Posts

All my new pigtails are here, this is the quality of solder joints I’m working with. So far it’s going well

Does anyone know if you can clean wires with CRC electrical cleaner and then solder? I know exposing chlorinated brake clean to high heat is extremely dangerous. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3
6 Posts
I installed the heater control valve. No leaks I used the norma hose clamps.
I also repaired the dipstick oil leak this morning, we won’t know until tomorrow if we have leaks until after the 24 drying period fir the permatex sealant.Thanks for the insight on the heater control valve.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well ****. Got my alignment done finally, and all the numbers are dead on where they should be. Four miles from the Firestone it starts thumping, I pulled off and saw this. I assume the rim is trashed. Waiting for a tow truck now.

Wow that blows! The clowns working at firestone suck, I avoid that place like the plague. I'm surprised they could even align a solid front axle vehicle. I hope they'll be covering the cost of that wheel and associated tire swap.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow that blows! The clowns working at firestone suck, I avoid that place like the plague. I'm surprised they could even align a solid front axle vehicle. I hope they'll be covering the cost of that wheel and associated tire swap.
Yeah, they're going to fix it all. I may have to source the rim and get paid back, but at least they didn't push back. They wouldn't have much to stand on, but that doesn't stop a lot of people.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, they're going to fix it all. I may have to source the rim and get paid back, but at least they didn't push back. They wouldn't have much to stand on, but that doesn't stop a lot of people.
I'd insist on having another shop fix it, and Firestone pays for it. When Firestone says "We'll do the repair ourselves..." Respond with "You guys can't even remember to tighten the freaking lug nuts! Do you think I should trust you to get the front bearings and locking hubs right? I'll take it to another shop, and you'll reimburse me."

At least you heard and caught it before the wheel came off and did a few thousand of body damage.

·
Premium Member
7,967 Posts

Wow, that sucks, good thing you felt it before the wheel came off.
I had to buy a set of tires while on a road trip pulling the horse trailer with my 6.0 I told them 65 psi and 150 ft lbs. then stayed out in the shop winching my spare back up and watching them torque all 4 corners. Drove 70 miles back to the trailer and broke out my torque wrench and retorqued em before the 1200 mile trip home.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd insist on having another shop fix it, and Firestone pays for it. When Firestone says "We'll do the repair ourselves..." Respond with "You guys can't even remember to tighten the freaking lug nuts! Do you think I should trust you to get the front bearings and locking hubs right? I'll take it to another shop, and you'll reimburse me."

At least you heard and caught it before the wheel came off and did a few thousand of body damage.
It was a little more complicated than I laid it out - I took the truck to Firestone #1, they did the alignment but couldn't correct the camber. I installed an adjustable shim (drivers side, the wheel I lost was passenger side) and took it back, they still couldn't do it, and suggested a specific tech at Firestone #2. Took it there yesterday morning and he did the alignment but only pulled the drivers side wheel off to adjust the shim; he never pulled the passenger side off. The guy at #2 seems very competent, and I believe him. Shop #2 says it was shop #1's fault, is fixing it and billing shop #1 for the repair.

When I pull wheels at home, one lug nut from each wheel goes in the case for the torque wrench, that's my method for making sure I checked them all when putting wheels back on. I just didn't think to check after the shops worked on it, and I should have.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's important to have confidence in the reliability of your truck. We have to be able to trust our trucks to do the work we task them to do. While certainly an inconvenience, it sounds like you have it under control and are comfortable with the people that will be doing the work.

I'm interested in hearing how the re-check on the alignment went after you installed the adjustable insert "by eyeball". I'm noticing some inside edge-wear on one of my fronts that wasn't happening awhile back. I think I may need ball joints again (I've mentioned this before) and will have to have a trusted friend do it for me as I am litterally now a little old and weak to be pulling on things as hard as it takes to do the ball joints in these trucks. But I can be involved, and will be, and want to address alignment if I need to. Hence the inquiry regarding the universal inserts. Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's important to have confidence in the reliability of your truck. We have to be able to trust our trucks to do the work we task them to do. While certainly an inconvenience, it sounds like you have it under control and are comfortable with the people that will be doing the work.

I'm interested in hearing how the re-check on the alignment went after you installed the adjustable insert "by eyeball". I'm noticing some inside edge-wear on one of my fronts that wasn't happening awhile back. I think I may need ball joints again (I've mentioned this before) and will have to have a trusted friend do it for me as I am litterally now a little old and weak to be pulling on things as hard as it takes to do the ball joints in these trucks. But I can be involved, and will be, and want to address alignment if I need to. Hence the inquiry regarding the universal inserts. Thanks.

This was the result of having the second shop (with the guy who knows what he's doing) do the alignment, before my wheel tried to fall off. :) He said the first shop installed the adjustable outer sleeve backwards - I don't know for certain if they turned it around after I installed it first at home, so that could have either been them or me.

Also - specifically on the ball joints, I had those pressed into the knuckles, I don't own the tool for that and I don't do this nearly often enough to justify it. I did buy the tool to install the knuckle seal though.

·
Registered
931 Posts

This was the result of having the second shop (with the guy who knows what he's doing) do the alignment, before my wheel tried to fall off. :) He said the first shop installed the adjustable outer sleeve backwards - I don't know for certain if they turned it around after I installed it first at home, so that could have either been them or me.

Also - specifically on the ball joints, I had those pressed into the knuckles, I don't own the tool for that and I don't do this nearly often enough to justify it. I did buy the tool to install the knuckle seal though.
Can't you borrow the tool from AutoZone? I thought one of the stores had a ball joint tool on loan a tool

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
The harbor freight ball joint press should do that, it works great and is budget friendly. Moreover, you can press all kinds of things with it. Axle u joints, drive line u joints, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put my intercooler pipe back on after blowing it out of boot on Tuesday. Used hair spray on it and hoping it holds now.

I have two questions.

My steering wheel is terrible. Is there someplace I can send it and have the old cover taken off and replaced?

My left hub to lock in 4x4 won’t turn. What is the recommended replacement manufacturer? We don’t use 4x4 much but when I need it I sure would like it to work. I may replace the front wheel bearings/ hub assemblies too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can't you borrow the tool from AutoZone? I thought one of the stores had a ball joint tool on loan a tool

I asked and they told me they didn't have that - now I wonder if the person I talked to knew what they were talking about.

On a different note, it looks like the wheel I'm going to have to track down is an Eagle Alloys 0589-7887. Any suggestions on where to find this? I'm starting to search but hoping someone might have a great resource.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Almost done, just have to put some fresh wire loom on. Ended up deleting 7 wires, new UVCH plugs, and ICP & IPR pigtails. All connections soldered, double shrink tube, staggered joints

Pretty pleased with how things are shaping up

What wires can you just delete? I don't remember seeing extra wires hanging around.

Looks like a new wire harness.

26441 - 26460 of 26536 Posts