Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

26301 - 26320 of 26325 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
Well this is from yesterday but I resealed the oil cooler using a new cooler and new o rings.
Changed oil of course and I need to continue flushing system today.

Where is the best place to order a steering gearbox from? This thing has lots of play but the truck has 405,000 on it and who knows if it’s ever been replaced.

Also the bottom radiator hose seems kinda soft. I wonder if they should be changed after having oil in them for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many powerstroke owners will get the redhead or bluetop steering box. A significant upgrade from oem with not much of a cost hike. However depending on your time needs OEM would be third best.

REPLACE THE RADIATOR HOSES. Coolant hoses are not rated to handle oil so replace them. I have honestly had luck with either oem or gates brand for hoses since well its just a hose and I can't remember the last time I had one just fail for no reason. But in general for powerstrokes you want to stay with oem for o rings, sensors, injectors, hpop, things of that nature. Many tried and failed using aftermarket for more particular stuff with poor results.

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
Man I must have been lucky... I cheaped out and ordered a Dorman vac pump for my 1999 when the ac quit working and found it failed mid 2016. The vac pump lasted maybe 4 months but i still had the box. I was able to call and get a return label shipped. They sent me a replacement free and it failed after a year. they emailed me a return label and then I bought oem like 5 years ago.

I did just look at their website though and it changed a ton!!! But....

RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376

Just in case. Also Rockauto is a forum vendor so maybe try reaching out to them there just in case. But yes last couple times I had to go to O'rileys (hairs raise on the back of my neck saying that name) lol.

Also Anyone order a oem track bar or different brand with success? I have a $$$ PMF E-99 one with hiem joints on each end but it clunks after about 4 yrs so I am thinking of going back to old style with the rubber bushing...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well this is from yesterday but I resealed the oil cooler using a new cooler and new o rings.
Changed oil of course and I need to continue flushing system today.

Where is the best place to order a steering gearbox from? This thing has lots of play but the truck has 405,000 on it and who knows if it’s ever been replaced.

Also the bottom radiator hose seems kinda soft. I wonder if they should be changed after having oil in them for awhile.

I have a Blue Top in mine and love it, hands down one of the best things I did for my truck

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
Anyone use this company?

They make an E99 o-6in lift adjustable track bar.. WITH RUBBER Bushings... I have been considering changing my level kit to a 4in with 35s for a year or so now and I am looking to change out my pem E99 track bar as its got heim joints on each end.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ordered a red top and gates hoses earlier this morning. My ac clutch was intermittent and then it started smoking. So looks like time for an ac system.

I wasn’t able to really drive this truck before I purchased it because of oil cooler issue. After I got it changed I took it for a drive. It evidently is programmed or chipped as it has way too much power it seems and will blow black smoke. I hope it’s a chip cause otherwise I guess I may have to get it reprogrammed so I can use my php.

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
I ordered a red top and gates hoses earlier this morning. My ac clutch was intermittent and then it started smoking. So looks like time for an ac system.

I wasn’t able to really drive this truck before I purchased it because of oil cooler issue. After I got it changed I took it for a drive. It evidently is programmed or chipped as it has way too much power it seems and will blow black smoke. I hope it’s a chip cause otherwise I guess I may have to get it reprogrammed so I can use my php.

when you plug in the php hydra chip it will overide whatever program is on it. Are you sure the truck has stock injectors though? Aftermarket larger ones require custom tuneing and provie a NOTICEABLE power increase even with stock power setting etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I really don’t know... the man I bought it from wouldn’t have gone for any power increases I don’t believe.

Thinking about ac....
Are these junk or a bad idea?

A/C Kit w/AC Compressor Condenser & Drier For Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel 1999-2003 - BuyAutoParts 60-89451CK New Amazon.com: A/C Kit w/AC Compressor Condenser & Drier For Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel 1999-2003 - BuyAutoParts 60-89451CK New: Automotive

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
@nsfr1206

Seems a little too good for me. I would try for something like ACDelco or a more well known aftermarket. I usually avoided Dorman but I have had their 6.0l transmission cooler since 2016 problem free. Check 1aauto, rockauto they are forum sponsors.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I DID THIS A FEW DAYS AGO.....

THE INSTALLATION OF THE MISSING "LEFT" GRAB HANDLE.....

Reactions: ames485

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
That's a cool upgrade if you don't have gauges!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
How it should have been from the factory
I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU.....

That's a cool upgrade if you don't have gauges!
I NEED THE HANDLE WAY MORE THAN THE GAUGES IN THAT SPOT.....I CAN PUT THE GAUGES ANYWHERE IN MY LINE OF SIGHT.....BUT I CAN'T SEE THEM IF I CAN'T GET INTO THE TRUCK..... :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started it!! LOL:funny:
Well I know the 6.4 guys have a thread like this but I've never seen one for us 7.3 guys, so I figured I would start one.

So like the title says what did you do to you 7.3 today? Maintenance, performance, washed the windows, whatever.

I tested the coolant and found that it was in need of a DCA additive in the coolant. So I went to the truck stop and got a pint of DCA and a 5" band clamp. Put about half the pint in the resivor and I'll see if its any better tomorow. As far as the band clamp goes, I finally got around to fixing my tip that was held on with 3 tack welds and got a good clean clamp on it.

So what did yall do?
I let my "Freddy Ford", (2002 super duty xl, rack body w/a liftgate),rest from a hard week of work!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sat and looked at mine all weekend, but will get a workout next weekend when I hook up the 5'er to go camping

Reactions: HMS

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Where do I get one ?
I BOUGHT MY USED SET OF GRAB HANDLES FROM A GUY PARTING OUT A WRECKED TRUCK.....

YOU CAN FIND THEM IN JUNK YARDS.....AND FROM PRIVATE SELLERS PARTING OUT DAMAGED TRUCKS.....

YOU MAY HAVE TO DO A LITTLE LOOKING TO GET THE RIGHT COLOR.....BUT THEY ARE OUT THERE.....

Reactions: oilcan1001

·
Registered
158 Posts
Helped a buddy install a new shift kit and rebuilt the clutch packs on his 4r100, I would not suggest tackling this on your own, man that sucked LOL! Drilling into the accumulator and all those plates was a little nerve wracking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finished flushing coolant system (hope it’s good enough) and installed new upper and lower hoses. Refilled with coolant and water and started the steering gear box swap. I am changing to a Redhead. The old one is loose and laying down by floor but I didn’t have a fork to remove pitman arm ball joint so it’s still attached. While I had the wheel and tire off I pulled on the brake rotor and it appears I have couple more ball joints out. No wonder this truck wandered so badly.

26301 - 26320 of 26325 Posts