Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

26281 - 26300 of 26325 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, with a lot of stuff on this truck, whether it needs replacement or not, it's probably just time to replace. Talk me out of getting the cheapest ones I can get with lifetime warranty?
hard to beat the price of Bilstein 5100's. They last a long time, they aren't the cheapest but to me seem to be the best value shock you can get.

·
Registered
2002 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed
12 Posts
I bought it. Well, a few weeks ago anyway. The list of repairs is starting to mount up.

Right front wheel bearing
Clock Spring
Ball Joints
Oil & Filter
Fuel filter
Tires
LED headlights
LED dome lights
Intercooler hoses
Coolant reservoir
I color matched the grill. Now I want to do the mirrors and that faded black trim piece that runs the length of the cab and bed above the step tubes. I had a bed tool box given to me, but not sure I want it in there with the 5th wheel. That prime bed real estate is disappearing fast. If I decide to keep the box, I'll color match that too.

This weekend it will be getting the Wicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel, Glowshift 3 in 1 gauge, and front brake lines installed.

I also bought the new trailer for it to pull around. A 2021 Dutchman Yukon 400. Hopefully I can get the last few things done this weekend before I go pick up the trailer on Monday.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I gave the old girl some love today. Washed and wiped it down with polishing compound to get the roughness off. Cleaned the seats. got the mud out of the wheel wells from the Colorado trip 3 weeks ago. I'm headed to Tucson tomorrow to get it smogged for its annual renewal and a visit with friends I haven't seen in awhile because of covidhoax. (Registered in AZ).
Looks pretty good for original paint:

I also have been collecting parts. I recently did the rear diff and posi clutches. I noticed the brake lines on the diff need to be replaced. The material for that project is here. Ordered a Ford adapter for my Motive pressure bleeder. Ordered park brake shoes and hardware (PB does not work, got left on too many times...) And I ordered all 3 rear brake hoses. I replaced the fronts a few years ago, I'll to the rears now with the other work and not have to worry about it again.

This project has been on the "need to get this done" list since I acquired the truck. It's not getting worse, but it needs to be fixed. I can do the work myself, But the prep involved with masking both the interior AND exterior against over-spray is a huge job. Reason I've put it off. Perhaps writing about it here, like I did for the diff, will get me to get it done. One door isn't bad at all, but all 4 need to be addressed.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, I gave the old girl some love today. Washed and wiped it down with polishing compound to get the roughness off. Cleaned the seats. got the mud out of the wheel wells from the Colorado trip 3 weeks ago. I'm headed to Tucson tomorrow to get it smogged for its annual renewal and a visit with friends I haven't seen in awhile because of covidhoax. (Registered in AZ).
Looks pretty good for original paint:
View attachment 774566

I also have been collecting parts. I recently did the rear diff and posi clutches. I noticed the brake lines on the diff need to be replaced. The material for that project is here. Ordered a Ford adapter for my Motive pressure bleeder. Ordered park brake shoes and hardware (PB does not work, got left on too many times...) And I ordered all 3 rear brake hoses. I replaced the fronts a few years ago, I'll to the rears now with the other work and not have to worry about it again.

This project has been on the "need to get this done" list since I acquired the truck. It's not getting worse, but it needs to be fixed. I can do the work myself, But the prep involved with masking both the interior AND exterior against over-spray is a huge job. Reason I've put it off. Perhaps writing about it here, like I did for the diff, will get me to get it done. One door isn't bad at all, but all 4 need to be addressed.

View attachment 774567 View attachment 774568

Thanks for reading
my drivers door looks like that, maybe not quite as bad. Mine's garaged and I don't drive it in the rain so it's low on the priority list to get resolved. I was going to take to a body shop to have them repaint the whole front cab and fix any rust issues, that's my dream fix. In reality, I can't seem to want to cough up that kind of cash for a 20 year old truck LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm still in Tucson, I've been doing some projects with my friend here. I've been in and out of the bed of the truck for stuff for two days. i noticed that the bottom of my tailgate is worse than the doors in the pics. I'll probably get on the tailgate fairly soon, as I can remove the gate to work on it, and don't have to mask off the entire truck to paint the repair area. I'll perfect my repair technique on the tail gate. Then move on to the doors.

My truck lives outside covered, but rainwater accumulates in the bed and douches the tailgate pinch weld when I move it. I don't want to have to buy a tailgate for it. I'll get on it this summer. Thanks for the interest.

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
FINALLY removed the canopy/shell.... Truck looks like a truck again just in time for summer. I have two giant custom made saw horses and I back my truck up in between and use a little T shaped 2x4 to hold on end up. I slide the 2x4 cross bars under and do it to the front and then I drive off. The wood looks little weathered but its tarped in the winter. I love the security and dryness with the canopy/shell but the truck does look so much better without it lol.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,523 Posts
Haven't found myself here in a while.

Decided to upgrade the hitch and ordered a tow bar attachment so I can haul via pintle or farm implements.

This new site layout appears to be harder for me to navigate (yeah I've been gone that long).

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Haven't found myself here in a while.

Decided to upgrade the hitch and ordered a tow bar attachment so I can haul via pintle or farm implements.

This new site layout appears to be harder for me to navigate (yeah I've been gone that long).
YEAH.....IT HAS BEEN AWHILE SINCE I HAVE SEEN A POST FROM YOU.....WELCOME BACK.....

ARE YOU STILL USING THOSE "BEHIND THE WHEEL".....WHEEL BALANCERS?....IF SO.....ANY ISSUES?....

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,523 Posts
Sure am! Centramatics. They're live-balancing and worth every penny. Have had them for about 10 years or so and I'm still on the same Mud Grapplers! Normally people chew Mud Grapplers down to nothing in 20-30k miles. I'm pushing 50k and there is still a lot of life left in them. I'm not worried about the tread so much as their age since they're 10 years old now. I feel like I'm pushing my luck with them since I tend to haul heavy and travel far whenever I do go anywhere.

Reactions: GETFURIOUS

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up a new toy to pull around. We had planned on getting one we could pull with the SUV, but couldn't find one that had everything we wanted that was light enough. Now I get to accelerate my plans for the 7.3. I ordered a CTS3 with EGT probe from CNCFab for monitoring to help me prioritize upgrades.

Camper.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Sure am! Centramatics. They're live-balancing and worth every penny. Have had them for about 10 years or so and I'm still on the same Mud Grapplers! Normally people chew Mud Grapplers down to nothing in 20-30k miles. I'm pushing 50k and there is still a lot of life left in them. I'm not worried about the tread so much as their age since they're 10 years old now. I feel like I'm pushing my luck with them since I tend to haul heavy and travel far whenever I do go anywhere.
YEAH.....GLAD TO HEAR THAT THEY ARE WORKING WELL.....I WILL BE GETTING A SET THIS FALL WHEN I GET MY NEW TIRES.....

B-T-W.....HOW IS YOUR SOLAR PANEL (SYSTEM) ON YOUR TOOL BOX DOING?....STILL WORKING WELL?....

THANKS.....

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,523 Posts
Absolutely. Zero problems and still on the same batteries. Adding the solar has prolonged battery life extensively. Hoping for 10+ years.

If I find a deal, I may upgrade to a larger and lighter solar panel, repurposing the current one to the boat or camper's system.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Absolutely. Zero problems and still on the same batteries. Adding the solar has prolonged battery life extensively. Hoping for 10+ years.

If I find a deal, I may upgrade to a larger and lighter solar panel, repurposing the current one to the boat or camper's system.
IT'S GREAT TO HEAR THAT.....

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE THIN SOLAR PANELS.....I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING IT ON THE ROOF OF MY TRUCK AND HAVING IT HOOKED TO A SEPARATE ADDITIONAL BATTERY.....

HAVE YOU GATHERED ANY INFORMATION ON THE THIN SOLAR PANELS?....AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT USING A SEPARATE BATTERY FOR SOLAR SYSTEM?....

THANKS.....

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,523 Posts
You could but I just run everything from my AGM batts.

My boat is a different story. I have a dedicated engine battery and a separate huge deep cycle for the trolling motors, lights, stereo, radio, etc. Solar runs to the deep cycle and when 13.5v is reached, I have a relay that kicks in and dumps additional voltage to the engine's battery. Whenever running the boat, the engine charges the battery and dumps anything above 13.5v into the deep cycle via that same relay.

If the sun goes down and the engine isn't charging the batteries, the relay disconnects both batteries at 12.8v so one doesnt drag down the other.

It's a nifty system and could absolute be used in our trucks for anything.

Reactions: GETFURIOUS

·
Registered
276 Posts
Last week I reported that I ordered the rear brake hoses as part of an order to do the rear axle brake lines and park brake shoes...... Just before I left for Tucson, the center hose came in and it didn't seem right. It wasn't, it was a 2WD, so I ordered the 4X4 hose. It along with the other hoses came in while I was out of town. Today I inspected the outer hoses. The RH was correct, the LH was too short. This stuff came from Rock Auto, I wasn't going to bother to return just one $12 hose with $7 shipping, but two $12 hoses would be worth the hassle. They gave me TWO different return-to addresses, they are both DELCO parts. WTF? I ordered the correct hose from my local NAPA, $27, it will be here tomorrow. So a lot of hassle and a wasted $45 on wrong hoses that are going to get pitched because I wasn't careful enough ordering.

I've ordered thousands of dollars of stuff from Rock Auto over the 9 years I've been a customer. Their customer service is simple: They have no way to contact them. No email, no phones, no nothing. I'm just going to begin going to NAPA. Minimum Shipping is about $8 per warehouse, This order had over $50 of shipping charges for $75 of parts, perhaps $100 at NAPA.

/RANT=OFF.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Last week I reported that I ordered the rear brake hoses as part of an order to do the rear axle brake lines and park brake shoes...... Just before I left for Tucson, the center hose came in and it didn't seem right. It wasn't, it was a 2WD, so I ordered the 4X4 hose. It along with the other hoses came in while I was out of town. Today I inspected the outer hoses. The RH was correct, the LH was too short. This stuff came from Rock Auto, I wasn't going to bother to return just one $12 hose with $7 shipping, but two $12 hoses would be worth the hassle. They gave me TWO different return-to addresses, they are both DELCO parts. WTF? I ordered the correct hose from my local NAPA, $27, it will be here tomorrow. So a lot of hassle and a wasted $45 on wrong hoses that are going to get pitched because I wasn't careful enough ordering.

I've ordered thousands of dollars of stuff from Rock Auto over the 9 years I've been a customer. Their customer service is simple: They have no way to contact them. No email, no phones, no nothing. I'm just going to begin going to NAPA. Minimum Shipping is about $8 per warehouse, This order had over $50 of shipping charges for $75 of parts, perhaps $100 at NAPA.

/RANT=OFF.
I just ordered all 5 brake lines for my truck from rockauto. Hopefully I got the right ones. I was going to buy at NAPA but Rockauto + shipping was considerably cheaper still.

Looked up by serial number on raybestos' website, part numbers I ended up getting were:

BH381186
BH381185
BH381164
BH382891
BH382892

Didn't bother with the vacuum tubes on the 4x4.

Also, got my new bumper & grill the other day, bumper needs to be powdercoated black

20210421_183144.jpg

And the transmission flush a couple days ago:

20210423_104945.jpg
20210423_104945.jpg

·
Registered
890 Posts

/RANT=OFF.
I gave up on rock pretty quickly. I got the wrong thing once and realizes that it seems their strategy is to make returns so inconvenient that no one returns. I have to add admit, it's freaking genius.

I usually use amazon. You can enter in your truck in the amazon garage and it'll help you find the correct parts kinda like china-zone or advanced-vato website but at rock auto prices.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I find if I go to the local autozone, advance auto or any of the other parts houses.( We don’t have a Napa) they will price match rock auto and I can have in my hand now with out paying shipping.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I find if I go to the local autozone, advance auto or any of the other parts houses.( We don’t have a Napa) they will price match rock auto and I can have in my hand now with out paying shipping.
I've had the local ford dealer match amazon prices but never tried those auto stores. If so, that's genius

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well this is from yesterday but I resealed the oil cooler using a new cooler and new o rings.
Changed oil of course and I need to continue flushing system today.

Where is the best place to order a steering gearbox from? This thing has lots of play but the truck has 405,000 on it and who knows if it’s ever been replaced.

Also the bottom radiator hose seems kinda soft. I wonder if they should be changed after having oil in them for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26281 - 26300 of 26325 Posts