Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

25941 - 25960 of 25970 Posts

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I change my oil every 5k. I feel bad if it hits 5100 or more between oil changes!

I do the oil at 5k maybe just a tad earlier or later depending weather or work. I used to change the fuel every 10k as on my 6.0l but the last 3 changes it has been great. so I went 12k this time and i'll try 15k next. I have the AIS severe duty intake so between 30-50k I change it depending on its weight and the restriction gauge. Everyone has their own maintenance intervals this just seemed to work with me very well. I have the Tcase/transmission service next summer and possibly rear dif. But the front dif hadn't been changed in probably 10+ yrs and it looked/smelled like the stuff right out of the new bottle I had lol.

Reactions: forthehalibut

·
Super Moderator
19,445 Posts
We have wild fires going on right now here in CA. Walked out this morning to go to work. My truck and my daughter's car was covered in ash. The sky looked like dawn instead of 7a. Going to have to check my air filter soon the way it's going.
Last night @ about 4:45p, it looked like 8:30p. Sometimes, it smells really smokey, sometimes you can hardly smell it. Smokey more than not.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
We have wild fires going on right now here in CA. Walked out this morning to go to work. My truck and my daughter's car was covered in ash. The sky looked like dawn instead of 7a. Going to have to check my air filter soon the way it's going.
Last night @ about 4:45p, it looked like 8:30p. Sometimes, it smells really smokey, sometimes you can hardly smell it. Smokey more than not.
Dang! Stay safe!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wasn't today, but a couple days ago I finally got some time to work on the doody! Was able to get the new headunit, headlights, clearance light LEDs, tonneau, and tailgate put on, also got a couple keyfobs programmed! I really can't wait to get the trans swapped out and have it back on the road. Also can't wait to give it a much needed bath...

Some pics of the goodies

·
Super Moderator
19,445 Posts
Dang! Stay safe!!
I don't want to mislead anyone. We aren't in any danger where we are. It's just with the fires that are going on, the skies are filled with smoke. Depending on the wind, we get ash here.
Take a look @ this: NOAA Satellite Images - Spin the world around to view the West coast. The West coast is covered in smoke. Fires in CA, OR & WA. Smoke is extending out into the Pacific.

Reactions: SparkyF250 and Vohs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't want to mislead anyone. We aren't in any danger where we are. It's just with the fires that are going on, the skies are filled with smoke. Depending on the wind, we get ash here.
Take a look @ this: NOAA Satellite Images - Spin the world around to view the West coast. The West coast is covered in smoke. Fires in CA, OR & WA. Smoke is extending out into the Pacific.
Good to hear. As a boy I had always heard about the Mt. St. Helen's potential to erupt and was told to wrap a wet towel over your face and air filter. When it gets plugged (with would-be concrete) you change it for a new one. Don't breathe what you don't need to. Turns to concrete in your lungs too. Cheers!

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Can't really call it a wash but... I swept and used compressed air to clean all the tree debris from the bed, got all the door seals, below windshield, all rubber where dirt/junk collected brushed and blew out. Watch out for the rear of the front fenders when you open the door. stuff builds up there and when I first bought the truck scooped a solid 2+ cps of needles/dirt. Hopefully this coming weekend i'll have some time to grease everything, and give her the good ole "once over" check for anything that looks like a leak, check all fluids, and just look at everything to see if something pops out at me. So far its helped me catch things. Caught the infamous dipstick adapter leak, turbo pedestal o ring, and even discovered the drain tube was not connected to the fuel bowl drain lol...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Can't really call it a wash but... I swept and used compressed air to clean all the tree debris from the bed, got all the door seals, below windshield, all rubber where dirt/junk collected brushed and blew out. Watch out for the rear of the front fenders when you open the door. stuff builds up there and when I first bought the truck scooped a solid 2+ cps of needles/dirt. Hopefully this coming weekend i'll have some time to grease everything, and give her the good ole "once over" check for anything that looks like a leak, check all fluids, and just look at everything to see if something pops out at me. So far its helped me catch things. Caught the infamous dipstick adapter leak, turbo pedestal o ring, and even discovered the drain tube was not connected to the fuel bowl drain lol...
"Watch out for the rear of the front fenders when you open the door. stuff builds up there and when I first bought the truck scooped a solid 2+ cps of needles/dirt."

I don't understand what you mean. Do you have a pic? I don't want stuff causing rust

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got home from the marina this afternoon and thought I was going to wash the Typhoon. Got distracted and ended up changing the coolant and AIS filter, and installing a new serpentine belt. All parts that have been sitting around, like the truck itself is doing this year.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
"Watch out for the rear of the front fenders when you open the door. stuff builds up there and when I first bought the truck scooped a solid 2+ cps of needles/dirt."

I don't understand what you mean. Do you have a pic? I don't want stuff causing rust

-open front door
-Look at the bottom of the front fender while looking under the bottom hinge of the front door
-where the back of the front fender curves inward towards the center of the truck there is an open space where stuff gets stuck. You can see it when you open the door. See the little photo I edited.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
-open front door
-Look at the bottom of the front fender while looking under the bottom hinge of the front door
-where the back of the front fender curves inward towards the center of the truck there is an open space where stuff gets stuck. You can see it when you open the door. See the little photo I edited.
I see what you are talking about. I don't have anything in there and I've never cleaned it before. I wonder how you're getting junk in there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For things like that I have a new favorite tool, an air comb. Works even better than a standard air gun and can get into hard to reach spots in engine bay and between fenders.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
For things like that I have a new favorite tool, an air comb. Works even better than a standard air gun and can get into hard to reach spots in engine bay and between fenders. View attachment 769713
I feel ya. I have all sorts of 45/90 degree and extensions lol.

Reactions: ames485

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Got home after a 4,100+ mile trip from Georgia to the Grand Canyon, then a stop off in Hot Springs Arkansas. Wish I could say it was smooth but 100 miles east of Flagstaff the battery symbol started flickering, I change my Edge CTS2 to see voltage and was getting 12.1 volts, it hung in there until we reach Williams Arizona, so the next morning I replaced it. For anyone that has or will be traveling I-40 going through Oklahoma beware the road SUCKS!!!! It was so bad on a routine check under the hood at a truck stop when fueling the air filter had been knocked off.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Looking for a "throw it behind the back seat" general home and truck toolkit recommendation. Best I've found so far is something like this -

Any suggestions?
get a 99% sure 7/16s 6 point deep socket for the intercooler boots and that should be plenty...

unless you are going out to the boonies the majority of the time AAA and any basic tool set is usually enough. I’ve been down the carry tools road and whether I carried a 500+ piece kit or a little 150ish kit it was 99% more than enough.

just my thoughts if they are worth 2cents.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Looking for a "throw it behind the back seat" general home and truck toolkit recommendation. Best I've found so far is something like this -

Any suggestions?
THAT KIT HAS A LOT OF BIT SETS AND SMALL PARTS IN IT TO GET THE TOTAL PIECE COUNT UP.....IF I COUNT CORRECTLY.....THERE IS ABOUT 150 BITS AND SMALL PIECES.....WHICH MEANS THAT ABOUT HALF OF THIS SET IS NOT SOCKETS AND WRENCHES.....

YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASSEMBLE YOUR OWN SELECTION OF TOOLS.....GET A BAG OR A BOX AND ADD THE SOCKETS AND PLIERS AND SCREWDRIVERS AND WRENCHES THAT YOU WILL NEED.....SO THAT THE TOOLS YOU CARRY ARE USEFUL AND NOT JUST TAKING UP SPACE IN THE KIT.....ALSO.....DON'T FORGET THE FLASHLIGHT.....

Reactions: ames485

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm looking to buy (or assemble) a set that will cover basic truck stuff when "in the boonies" and just away from home, plus we just bought a little place a few hours away from home and I'd like whatever set I build/buy to cover the majority of non-power took honey-do tasks my wife comes up with (that don't involve hauling the table saw up there. ;) I know that kobalt set has a lot of bullshit in it, they all seem to - counting individual Allen wrenches, or screwdriver bits is just lies but they all do it.

What I probably need is a good basic home-focused set plus certain specific tools, sockets and such, for the truck.

·
Registered
897 Posts
SINCE YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN THE BOONIES.....DON'T FORGET A SMALL AIR PUMP AND TIRE PLUGGING SET FOR THE EARLY MORNING.....UNEXPECTED FLAT TIRE.....

Reactions: oilcan1001
25941 - 25960 of 25970 Posts