Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

25881 - 25900 of 25914 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I was considering adding a hitch to the back of my 5th wheel, but it looks like they'd have to relocate an ac unit and it'd be a couple grand at least to do everything. This puts the bikes where I can see them, gives me more flexibility (like the hitch tray I already own), and a tenth the price or less.

You could use an extender with it perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was considering an extension, but at 500 lb vertical load rating, if I need to push my trailer with my truck on it in the awkward spot in the back yard, I'm worried that will be a little much for that with an extension.
curt and drawtite, and warn make a front hitch for the oem bumpers but with yours you'll want to see a welding shop. I would have them look at the bumper. Most aftermarkets are only still using the 4 oem bolt holes. Vs Warn and their hidden winch mount uses a couple of no-drill brackets to re-enforce.
By welding shop you mean the garage? Lol. I have the tools to make my own and was most likely going that way, just hard when bolt on ones are close to the price of steel. I wouldn't want a bumper mounted one, it needs to be to the frame. It's a toss up between buying one and modifying it or making my own. With the aftermarket bumper, I don't have the tow hooks so it's less important to have the clearance that bolt on one provides. But it appears to be thick steel which is what I would be building it out of. I have thought about going back to a stock bumper, but mine has a perfect platform for working off of, so I kinda don't want to get rid of it for that reason lol.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was considering an extension, but at 500 lb vertical load rating, if I need to push my trailer with my truck on it in the awkward spot in the back yard, I'm worried that will be a little much for that with an extension. By welding shop you mean the garage? Lol. I have the tools to make my own and was most likely going that way, just hard when bolt on ones are close to the price of steel. I wouldn't want a bumper mounted one, it needs to be to the frame. It's a toss up between buying one and modifying it or making my own. With the aftermarket bumper, I don't have the tow hooks so it's less important to have the clearance that bolt on one provides. But it appears to be thick steel which is what I would be building it out of. I have thought about going back to a stock bumper, but mine has a perfect platform for working off of, so I kinda don't want to get rid of it for that reason lol.

Nice looking truck!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice looking truck!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks! That is the good side though lol.

What do you guys think about just welding a receiver to the crash bar thing? It's low enough to clear my bumper, could easily be removed later, cheap, and it should be strong enough I would imagine?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Thanks! That is the good side though lol.

What do you guys think about just welding a receiver to the crash bar thing? It's low enough to clear my bumper, could easily be removed later, cheap, and it should be strong enough I would imagine?

Since you have the crashbar there is another style of front receiver hitch you can buy. There are two styles for our trucks: https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Receiver-Hitch/Ford/F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty/1999/C31014.html?VehicleID=19997330

This one only fits the style with the blocker beam you have.

Here is a link to both styles and the link above is the one you need. 1999 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Front Mount Hitch | etrailer.com

They are the same for the 1999-2003 and i think all the way up to 2007 for the style that doesnt have blocker beams

·
Registered
474 Posts
Since you have the crashbar there is another style of front receiver hitch you can buy. There are two styles for our trucks: https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Receiver-Hitch/Ford/F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty/1999/C31014.html?VehicleID=19997330

This one only fits the style with the blocker beam you have.

Here is a link to both styles and the link above is the one you need. 1999 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Front Mount Hitch | etrailer.com

They are the same for the 1999-2003 and i think all the way up to 2007 for the style that doesnt have blocker beams
Thanks! I came across that last night, it probably makes those most sense to go that way, I just wish it was 70 ish cheaper. I want to get the hellwig rear sway bar to help with the camper, I still need better front camper mounts, and this front receiver hitch. If I buy all that and don't make the receiver hitch and front camper mounts, that's like 1200 worth of stuff lol. Trying to figure out where I want to spend the cash! I want to do a tubro wheel too, so trying to save a buck where I can

·
Registered
66 Posts
^^ This truck looks like it does NOT have the "crash bar". ^^

^^ This truck DOES have the "crash bar". ^^

I looked at my April 99 built 4X4 and it does NOT have this bar. I'm curious. Does anyone know if this is a 2WD / 4X4, or early/late, or just a random has it or not thing?

I too saw the reference to the crash bar in the e-trailer front hitch listings. I was contemplating adding a hitch mostly for a pit-bike rack for when I take my car to shows. The trailer is too short to put it inside, and with the bed cover it isn't practical to put it there either. A front hitch would be easier with the bar. I don't have it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts

I looked at my April 99 built 4X4 and it does NOT have this bar. I'm curious. Does anyone know if this is a 2WD / 4X4, or early/late, or just a random has it or not thing?

I too saw the reference to the crash bar in the e-trailer front hitch listings. I was contemplating adding a hitch mostly for a pit-bike rack for when I take my car to shows. The trailer is too short to put it inside, and with the bed cover it isn't practical to put it there either. A front hitch would be easier with the bar. I don't have it.

Thanks.
My research shows sometime in 01 they started adding the crash bar, or blocker beam I think is it's real name.

A front hitch makes sense no question. Cool thing about the blocker beam front hitch that e trailer sells is for you stock bumper guys, you retain your fog lights. Downside is the hitch will be Lower.

Reactions: DaveP's Ghost

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Thanks.
My research shows sometime in 01 they started adding the crash bar, or blocker beam I think is it's real name.

A front hitch makes sense no question. Cool thing about the blocker beam front hitch that e trailer sells is for you stock bumper guys, you retain your fog lights. Downside is the hitch will be Lower.

So the blocker beam is interesting. I can’t confirm as I can’t find anything but some folks from Ford said new crash test ratings requirements required the crash bar Be added because all the newer model smaller cars got sucked under the truck in most instances and would kill the car drivers according to their test. Again can’t confirm but it’s what some folks from Ford told me years ago. It was added to meet new specs.

Also bri man, you can’t run the hitch that sits lower on a truck that did not come with the crash bar. The frame and spring perch mounts are different between the crash/non crash bar truck. So you have to order the one specific to your truck. The crash bar one mounts very uniquely while the non crash bar just sits between the bumper and frame like it was made for it etc.

I wanted the one that sat lower but it would not work unless I wanted some serious fab work for nothing.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Well, it works. however, my bike carrier is designed to be mounted quite a bit lower on the back, so it's way too high in the front. With the way it's built though I should be able to get a piece of 1 3/4" tubing and slide it into the frame of the mount, then cut, bend, and weld it to drop the mount rather than raise it. It should be pretty easy to just bolt that piece I'll make into the bike mount, and take it out when I don't need it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd like to fab something up, but I don't see a great solution that would let me retain factory fog lights, if I add them when I have to replace my original 99 bumper which doesn't have mounting provisions.

Here's a pic I just took of my 1st Gen S-10 DD that I use to position my enclosed trailer in the back yard. Like BriMan, I have special maneuvering requirements. I can't sell this truck as long as I live in this house and have this trailer. I fabbed this up about 15 years ago, and it has been fine. It incorporates the bolts that retain the tow hooks and tow-bar mounts, and has to be removable to remove the skid plate for access to steering components, but I've only had the thing off twice since it went on. I could do something similar on the Super Duty, but the receiver and crossbar would be pretty low, visible, and reduce front ramp-heights. On the other hand, it would give a place to mount a work platform. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I have the non crash bar truck and the drawtite front receiver that puts the receiver at fog light height. Approx 26in off the ground to the bottom of the receiver tube. I use it for a winch during camping and nasty road season. It’s not ideal but I don’t burry my truck in swamps either. I was very surprised how heavy duty it was. Nearly 1/2in metal all around. The design allows bracing to be added very easily too. I want to fab a little platform to sit on/set stuff on for camping but if I fold it up it would block the grill So been thinking of a way to make it collapse in it self but it gets complicated and $ at that point lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I want to fab a little platform to sit on/set stuff on for camping but if I fold it up it would block the grill
Make it out of expanded metal so it doesn't block air-flow very much. It will be hard on the butt to sit on without a cushion, but that shouldn't be a biggie. Not like you have to leave it in when you're not going camping or need it. Expanded metal would be fine.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The F-250 turned 311K today

Reactions: oilcan1001

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Make it out of expanded metal so it doesn't block air-flow very much. It will be hard on the butt to sit on without a cushion, but that shouldn't be a biggie. Not like you have to leave it in when you're not going camping or need it. Expanded metal would be fine.
I found some folding hitch cargo carriers that would be cheaper to buy and strengthen them building my own but like other things in life other priorities haha. But I’ll probably end up that route sooner

·
Registered
474 Posts
So the blocker beam is interesting. I can’t confirm as I can’t find anything but some folks from Ford said new crash test ratings requirements required the crash bar Be added because all the newer model smaller cars got sucked under the truck in most instances and would kill the car drivers according to their test. Again can’t confirm but it’s what some folks from Ford told me years ago. It was added to meet new specs.

Also bri man, you can’t run the hitch that sits lower on a truck that did not come with the crash bar. The frame and spring perch mounts are different between the crash/non crash bar truck. So you have to order the one specific to your truck. The crash bar one mounts very uniquely while the non crash bar just sits between the bumper and frame like it was made for it etc.

I wanted the one that sat lower but it would not work unless I wanted some serious fab work for nothing.
So since I have the crash bar/blocker beam deal, I have to run the one meant for the blocker beam? I figured since the normal one (like yours) just sandwiches between the frame and bumper, it would still be fine?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
So since I have the crash bar/blocker beam deal, I have to run the one meant for the blocker beam? I figured since the normal one (like yours) just sandwiches between the frame and bumper, it would still be fine?

Sorry yes. Crash bar trucks can run both types of the front receivers but non crash bar trucks can only run the kind that sandwhiches between your bumper/frame. I don't know why I didn't type that in the last post sorry. One thing to remember. You have to take your tow hooks off to get the front receiver on but when you put the tow hooks back on leave the receiver loose. Other wise the lip on the bottom of the receiver doesn't let you get a wrench,sockets in. The directions didn't mention and I wasn't paying attention so I had to loosen the front receiver to tighten all the tow hook bolts etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry yes. Crash bar trucks can run both types of the front receivers but non crash bar trucks can only run the kind that sandwhiches between your bumper/frame. I don't know why I didn't type that in the last post sorry. One thing to remember. You have to take your tow hooks off to get the front receiver on but when you put the tow hooks back on leave the receiver loose. Other wise the lip on the bottom of the receiver doesn't let you get a wrench,sockets in. The directions didn't mention and I wasn't paying attention so I had to loosen the front receiver to tighten all the tow hook bolts etc.
I did essentially the same thing, had to take the bumper back off. That's what I get for not reading directions thoroughly - it was in mine I just didn't follow it :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ha ha ha!

So since my truck has the after market bumper, there are unfortunately no front tow hooks. Maybe the move for me is to just get the blocker beam replacement one, and have a tow hooks insert for it, or weld some tow hooks to the blocker beam replacement hitch?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Repositioned carrier, much better. It does hang down kinda low in the front, but I'll only use it this way when pulling the trailer so I shouldn't be hitting anything all that steep anyway.

25881 - 25900 of 25914 Posts