Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

25861 - 25880 of 25914 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got in tonight from a 8 day water ski, boating, and get-together with friends. We've been doing this trip since 2005. Always the same core 8 families, but sometimes there are hangers-on and other guests. This year we had 11 boats, over 20 rigs, and right around 100 people for Saturday night's pig-roast and pot-luck dinner. It was a big, but great group.

Truck ran great the way it always does. It hardly knows the little boat is behind it. To hell with covid. We had a great time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just got in tonight from a 8 day water ski, boating, and get-together with friends. We've been doing this trip since 2005. Always the same core 8 families, but sometimes there are hangers-on and other guests. This year we had 11 boats, over 20 rigs, and right around 100 people for Saturday night's pig-roast and pot-luck dinner. It was a big, but great group.
I don't see even 20 people anywhere near you, LOL. Sounds like a great annual outing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok. My new cooler should be here tomorrow, I will check for the filter when I'm under there.
Got the 6.0 transmission cooler installed today. No filter, so I'll get one ordered and add it. Swap was pretty much cake, we didn't pull the bumper, just loosened the AC condenser and removed the hood latch and pulled the old cooler from the top, new one in the same way. Finished around 3pm with the outside temperature around 108°, so for a test we hooked up the 5th wheel (somewhere between 14-15K, it's a heavy sucker) and went for a ride up 87/Beeline. Temps never went over 170° or so, around 160° most of the hour-long drive, and I pushed it hard up the hills. Completely happy with the upgrade. This is the part I used.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Also, while I'm thinking about it, anyone have experience with a prodigy p2 brake controller? I had it set too light the last time, it was set at 6.0 with boost 2. Today I tried it at 10, boost 3, and it was shuddering so I dropped it to B2 and it was better but not perfect. If I understand correctly, bounciness/push-pulling when stopping is either too much brake or not enough, is it just a matter of messing with it a bit at a time to get it balanced, or is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good to hear you have your transmission overheating issue fixed. Did you go with the 26 row or 32 row cooler, just curious?

For my prodigy I run with boost set on 2 then roll up about 1/2 to 3/4. I check it by rolling down the street at about 10-15 mph, then activate the manual override, if the whole rig comes to a stop I’m set.
Note: under certain circumstances there are times I roll up full to assist in a quick braking situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good to hear you have your transmission overheating issue fixed. Did you go with the 26 row or 32 row cooler, just curious?

For my prodigy I run with boost set on 2 then roll up about 1/2 to 3/4. I check it by rolling down the street at about 10-15 mph, then activate the manual override, if the whole rig comes to a stop I’m set.
Note: under certain circumstances there are times I roll up full to assist in a quick braking situation.

It's a 26 row.

Not sure what you mean by "roll up 1/2 to 3/4" - I have been setting it by stopping, then moving the lever to the left (manual override?) and moving the wheel to whatever number. Do you start with it at 6?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's a 26 row.

Not sure what you mean by "roll up 1/2 to 3/4" - I have been setting it by stopping, then moving the lever to the left (manual override?) and moving the wheel to whatever number. Do you start with it at 6?
IIRC mine is a P3. It has a small wheel type dial that increases or decrease the amount of power to the brakes.
I have never took notice if it displays a number on the digital readout.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IIRC mine is a P3. It has a small wheel type dial that increases or decrease the amount of power to the brakes.
I have never took notice if it displays a number on the digital readout.

Ok. I think I'm focusing too much on the numbers and I need to just experiment more and understand what it's actually doing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I go by the amount of braking during a slow speed per my prodigy instructions.

The numbers will not be the same between 2 rigs unless all fatcors are identical.
imo

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok. I think I'm focusing too much on the numbers and I need to just experiment more and understand what it's actually doing.
Correction.... I just checked and have a P2

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
Got the 440 gallon water tank in the back of mine. It got pretty dry here in July so I've been hauling water for the cattle. Spring usually doesn't dry up till August so I know it's dry. 3500 lbs of water makes the old girl ride pretty good.

·
Registered
174 Posts

While I have my bumper off (adding a front hitch) I'd like to replace this torn up splash guard/rock guard thing. I'm not sure if I can find this part anywhere, if not what would be a good material to use to cut a new one?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Truck has been attached to a 4.9k empty Gooseneck wedge since the 10th. She doesn't like it when shes loaded but she does alright. Around Sept my miles should line up for my next pre winter service. Fuel, Oil/filter, Air, Tire rotate, brake check, my do power steering but it looked great before summer hit. I did notice the rears on the truck were noticeably worn even though I never burn out. I may look at my last rotation miles and check the tread depth to see if these new blend bfgs are really wearing fast or if it was just my eyes.

The first 25k has been amazing and they did great this last winter though. I may grab a newer set early just in case though. Been considering the Falken wildpeak ATs. MAY be the first time in a long time i strayed away from BFG lol...

·
Registered
474 Posts

While I have my bumper off (adding a front hitch) I'd like to replace this torn up splash guard/rock guard thing. I'm not sure if I can find this part anywhere, if not what would be a good material to use to cut a new one?

Are you doing a bolt on front hitch or making your own? Got any pics? Wanting to do the same to mine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you doing a bolt on front hitch or making your own? Got any pics? Wanting to do the same to mine.

Bolt on. This is the part I ordered. Installation seems to be really straightforward, drill a couple 5/8" holes in the bumper plate, and bolt it in place. I also ordered a drop adapter, I'm going to use this to put a bike rack on the front and I suspect they'll be in the way visually without the drop adapter. It'll be here on Thursday, I'll post some pics of the installed part.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bolt on. This is the part I ordered. Installation seems to be really straightforward, drill a couple 5/8" holes in the bumper plate, and bolt it in place. I also ordered a drop adapter, I'm going to use this to put a bike rack on the front and I suspect they'll be in the way visually without the drop adapter. It'll be here on Thursday, I'll post some pics of the installed part.

Ya that's a nice piece for sure. My truck has an after marker front bumper on it so doubt it would work on mine, don't think it comes out far enough. I think it will be cool for a bike rack. I saw a couple on YouTube doing a cross country slide in camper living adventure and they had an almost identical truck to mine (single cab 7.3 6 speed, mild lift, 35s,) and they actually used a front mount receiver hitch to mount a truck bed tool box for extra storage. I thought it was super cool. I also have a need to park my trailers in an awkward spot and think the front mount hitch will help a lot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ya that's a nice piece for sure. My truck has an after marker front bumper on it so doubt it would work on mine, don't think it comes out far enough. I think it will be cool for a bike rack. I saw a couple on YouTube doing a cross country slide in camper living adventure and they had an almost identical truck to mine (single cab 7.3 6 speed, mild lift, 35s,) and they actually used a front mount receiver hitch to mount a truck bed tool box for extra storage. I thought it was super cool. I also have a need to park my trailers in an awkward spot and think the front mount hitch will help a lot.

I was considering adding a hitch to the back of my 5th wheel, but it looks like they'd have to relocate an ac unit and it'd be a couple grand at least to do everything. This puts the bikes where I can see them, gives me more flexibility (like the hitch tray I already own), and a tenth the price or less.

You could use an extender with it perhaps?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

curt and drawtite, and warn make a front hitch for the oem bumpers but with yours you'll want to see a welding shop. I would have them look at the bumper. Most aftermarkets are only still using the 4 oem bolt holes. Vs Warn and their hidden winch mount uses a couple of no-drill brackets to re-enforce.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So apparently that piece I'm needing to replace is a "lower bumper splash shield". Anyone have a part number I can chase?

Edit - looks like it's a F81Z-8327-AA for reference.

25861 - 25880 of 25914 Posts