Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

25741 - 25752 of 25752 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Took off my R17 KO2's and put on my R20 all season tires for the summer. Might as well wear them out since I haven't sold the rims yet and save my KO2's for winter/hunting.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
One of the downfalls when people know you have a truck... They are good friends at least but I really need to paint the canopy black and the grey lower body black too lol. Tired of the redneck look.

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
One of the downfalls when people know you have a truck... They are good friends at least but I really need to paint the canopy black and the grey lower body black too lol. Tired of the redneck look.
HAHA.....YOU GOT TRAPPED IN A MOVING JOB.....BUT WHAT ARE FRIENDS FOR..... :D

HELPING YOUR FRIEND IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING.....WHAT GOES AROUND.....COMES AROUND.....IT MAY BE SLOW.....IT MAY TAKE AWHILE.....BUT YOUR TURN IS COMING.....

AND THE TRUCK LOOKS NICE.....NO MATTER WHAT COLORS IT IS.....

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
Remember the saying, "Yes, it's my truck - no, I won't help you move!" :unsure::unsure: Definitely, not applicable to friends / family.

-------
Yesterday, I went to my Mom's house to take care of some stuff she needed done. I put it off for awhile due to the [email protected] stuff and her being about a week shy of 89. One thing she needed is a new American flag (the one she had looked like it was the one flying the night the Star Spangled Banner was written). Part of the neighbor's tree had grown over her driveway and part of her back porch. So...got to play lumberjack. Being out of shape that I am, I loaded up the green bin for pick up and ended up hauling a lot of the tree trimmings home in the bed. I'll cut 'em up here to get rid of it. Unloaded the truck this morning. But...Mom is happy so all good!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not going to start a thread. Justin will see this. He's the answer-man.

I see "Leece Neville" alternator mentioned from time to time for our trucks. I was researching alternators for a C7 Cat install, and ran across the AVI160T-2002-2 in the Prestolite / Leece Neville cataloge. It is a 210 Amp, Black epoxy coated, high output at idle, T-Mount (what the Ford mount is called) machine. The lowest price I found online is $301.00.

Here's a link to the AVI160 (the T-Mount is not pictured, but the pad and spool mounts are the same basic machine).

Is this what ya'll mean when you say "Leece Neville"? Is there a better source for it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
So I’ve only seen the 230amp Leece for the 7.3ls and some DCs with 185amp and up. Unfortunately I stuck with oem on my truck as I don’t have a lot of accessories to run.

I used this old catalog pdf for the part number though. You’ll be hard pressed to find a true Leece for under $380ish and then sometimes the pulley for your unit. DC power is cheaper but many had bad dealing with customer service/quality.
Ficm repair, xdp diesel,

this thread had some good info on the pulleys and wires with pics too but I just never got around to this upgrade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that.

It looks like the same machine is rated at 210 or 230 Amps, depending on the age of the literature. I also see in the link I put up that the 215 rating is at 6,000 alternator RPM at a temp of 25 deg C 77 deg F. The output drops to 166 Amps at 125C or 257 deg F. Perhaps the "210" rating is more conservative, and more apt to be achievable than the "230" rating which requires higher alternator speed or cooler alternator temperature. Ie, a balls-out, tough to get rating, and if so, not for long because the temp compensation will dial it back.

I've had good luck with most small frame Prestolites in the yachts as long as they don't run full output for so long that they get super-hot and destroy themselves. Modern voltage regulators for big battery bank charging where the alternator may be damaged by over-temp have temperature sensors on the alternator that dial-back the field current to keep alt temp within safe limits.

I'm a little concerned about glow plug life with high voltage. I know my current system runs at minus 75 Amps while the glow plugs are on. I have several of these marine regulators in my stash. They can be programmed to delay start-of-charge for up to 3 minutes after engine-start. They also have temperature probe compensation/protection for both the alternator and the batteries. These would be easy to adapt to this alternator. I'd set the delay to 90 seconds. Be a really nice charging system.

So that's "what I've done to my 7.3 today". Thought about a charging system improvement. I don't have heavy electrical demands either. (On my trips if I'm sleeping in the truck, I park for the night with the running lights on. After 8 hours, the batteries take a good charge for a few hours.) I have an 18 month old all-new Chinee Delco on the engine, and the take off OEM which still works, behind the seat. I'm probably just fine with what I have. Charging systems are a special interest of mine, I've been doing them on the off shore sail boats for decades. It would be nice to do a clean robust system on the truck..... We'll see.

Thanks again, Justin.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know that feeling! Had to go pick up a zero turn for a buddy this weekend, finally put old blue to use after sitting in the garage for a bit.

25741 - 25752 of 25752 Posts