Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
4701 - 4718 of 4718 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
What tools did you need? Any specialty tools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Torch, Sawzall, metal cutting blades, torque wrench, breaker bar, 15mm socket and extensions, ratchet, pry bar, floor jack, short 4”x4” wood chunk to lift body with jack.

Muscles and patience. I wanted to get the impact out many times, but didn’t want to repair the cage nuts ...

I did one side at a time. Hand snugged bolts. Then torque wrench on all at the end.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Today and yesterday did a brake flush, power steering flush, trans fluid/filter, oil change/filter and tire rotation.

I bought this truck with its current tires that clearly have not been rotated consistently. I feel strongly it’s contributing a lot to my steering pull and shaking (not death wobble). I’ve already done the front end joints, besides the track bar because I didn’t have the tools. I think once I’ve killed these tires a bit more I’ll also have a shop do the TB joint and with new fresh tires I’m hoping it will feel much better. New shocks are in my not too distant future as well.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Transmission Drain and Fill with filter change.

Your dpf looks shinier than mine

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
2 new rear tires. Both rear tires started to separate and at 40mph it felt like the truck was in self destruction mode. Was going to get something different but put ridge grapplers back on because nothing is available and everything is way overpriced right now

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Installed the S&S CP4 Gen 2 DPK.

Took me about 4 hours to install both block off and return filter. Pretty straight forward. Took an hour to disassemble everything. Kit install portion was pretty easy and quick. The tight quarters for the upper intake is a time limiting factor.
Really helpful tools: Electric 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" universal joint sockets, topside creeper (a must for me, would have taken another hour+ without this)

Also, watch your fuel line routing, if the radius is too tight they will kink/ collapse a bit.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment

I made too small mistakes: 1) snapped off an EGR tube bolt because my 'inch/Lb' wrench has minimal feedback when it clicks, so I went too far. Fortunately is was the front bolt on the upper flange to the lower intake, so removal of the broken part was easy. The rest I tightened by hand.

2) This is the interesting one: On the first test drive, the truck had markedly lower power. My thought was 'oh no, this kit is junk and not getting enough fuel to the injectors, now I'll have to take it off...'
Yeh, not so much. It was tired mechanic syndrome... :rolleyes:
Gadget Font Audio equipment Finger Entertainment
Note: the MIL/ CEL light never came on, even with power de-rate.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Tints and shades
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper

I missed reconnecting the throttle body plug.

Plugged back in and reset the code. All is well now!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
After doing this project, I thought: "What's the point of all this intake crap?" A plastic box, on top of a metal box, all convoluted etc. It is seemingly just too much/ over engineered. Some of those shiny aftermarket pipe kits look really nice... and simple!

·
Registered
80 Posts
After doing this project, I thought: "What's the point of all this intake crap?" A plastic box, on top of a metal box, all convoluted etc. It is seemingly just too much/ over engineered. Some of those shiny aftermarket pipe kits look really nice... and simple!
I thought the exact same thing. Sadly it seems the only piping kit for the dual-intake turbo on my '11 is the SPE kit at $1300...which is a liiiiiiitle bit more than I want to spend.

Also, your routing job on the lines to the return filter is cleaner looking than mine. I was exhausted by that point (no top creeper...) so I just got it not-kinked and moved on. I really need to go back and re-route them better.

Reactions: TKR

·
Registered
2012 F-250 CCSB 4x4 El Kingo Rancho
39 Posts
Finally got around to fixing my front bumper. Fixed a sizable dent and painted. Sitting next to my dad’s 02 7.3.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts

Took me about 4 hours to install both block off and return filter. Pretty straight forward. Took an hour to disassemble everything. Kit install portion was pretty easy and quick. The tight quarters for the upper intake is a time limiting factor.
Really helpful tools: Electric 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" universal joint sockets, topside creeper (a must for me, would have taken another hour+ without this)

Also, watch your fuel line routing, if the radius is too tight they will kink/ collapse a bit.

View attachment 777849 View attachment 777850

I made too small mistakes: 1) snapped off an EGR tube bolt because my 'inch/Lb' wrench has minimal feedback when it clicks, so I went too far. Fortunately is was the front bolt on the upper flange to the lower intake, so removal of the broken part was easy. The rest I tightened by hand.

2) This is the interesting one: On the first test drive, the truck had markedly lower power. My thought was 'oh no, this kit is junk and not getting enough fuel to the injectors, now I'll have to take it off...'
View attachment 777851 Note: the MIL/ CEL light never came on, even with power de-rate.
View attachment 777852 View attachment 777853

I hope to benefit from your research. Where did you buy the kit? Does anyone have better pricing than others?

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts

View attachment 777849 View attachment 777850

View attachment 777851 Note: the MIL/ CEL light never came on, even with power de-rate.
View attachment 777852 View attachment 777853

I hope to benefit from your research. Where did you buy the kit? Does anyone have better pricing than others?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts

No difference in price; S&S has minimum sales price terms with their distributors.
I bought from Thoroughbred Diesel in LVL KY but it shipped from Texas in a couple days.

4701 - 4718 of 4718 Posts