Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4610 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Only took about 6 weeks but my SPE CCV reroute finally came in along with my AFE Bladerunner cold side pipe. Now just to find time for install. Got some questions for you more mechanically inclined guys. I can turn some wrench but alot of times am just a little skiddish, are these two additions as straight forward and easy as I think they are? I believe I have the ability for this but again just don't want to have the truck slightly tore down and find out I am way over my head.

Is there any extra tips anyone has for performing these two tasks? Is it still a practice of using hairspray on the boots to help them stick like on the old 6.0 or is that something I shouldn't worry about? With this CCV reroute does that eliminate the need for the vent filter? Also I got there internal catch can that looks kind of impressive but not sure about its effectiveness.

Thanks guys hoping to dive in to this project in a week or two.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
201 Posts
Only took about 6 weeks but my SPE CCV reroute finally came in along with my AFE Bladerunner cold side pipe. Now just to find time for install. Got some questions for you more mechanically inclined guys. I can turn some wrench but alot of times am just a little skiddish, are these two additions as straight forward and easy as I think they are? I believe I have the ability for this but again just don't want to have the truck slightly tore down and find out I am way over my head.

Is there any extra tips anyone has for performing these two tasks? Is it still a practice of using hairspray on the boots to help them stick like on the old 6.0 or is that something I shouldn't worry about? With this CCV reroute does that eliminate the need for the vent filter? Also I got there internal catch can that looks kind of impressive but not sure about its effectiveness.

Thanks guys hoping to dive in to this project in a week or two.
Both of those are straightforward. There are videos of both installs out there so I would take a look at Youtube videos before starting so you have a good idea of what you will be doing. You should be able to do both mods in a couple hours without too much cursing. Keep us posted on how the internal catch can works!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks Macd I intend to since it seems like that internal catch can is a newer thing. The way they explained it on the website is that it almost uses the pressure going out the vent to "catch" everything, then when the engine is turned off and the pressure is released it let's the oil and stuff drain back in? Not sure if that sounds right to anyone else or not. Like I said I know just enough mechanical things to break stuff lol.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,909 Posts
Cold side pipe is easy. No hair spray though. Make sure you have the pipe the correct way.

Never did the ccv reroute as its not needed on the 6.7s bit its pretty straight forward as well.

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
So I got under the truck and the hood today. Fresh oil, oil filter, fuel filters (OEM and Dieselsite Dahl twins), and intake air filter for the No Limit Stage 2. Since these air filters are AFE brand custom filters built to NL order specs I got the NL Pro 5 R with a red pre-filter. I run Dahl 30 micron fuel filters in the DieselSite kit. Runs like a champ on the test ride around the neighborhood. 175k miles....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Well I just renewed the tags again for another year, and tomorrow going to tear into doing that CCV reroute and Cold side pipe. Hoping this all goes well. Got me some brake and carb cleaner to freshen up anything I can find while doing this.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Put on the new pieces this past Saturday and logged some miles with a trip to the city to go Christmas shopping. To do the SPE CCV reroute and the AFE Bladerunner cold side pipe it took me about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to do both. I did alot of looking and thinking to figure everything out but got it done. If had to re do it on another truck I think I could cut it in half on install time. Still just waiting to make sure I don't have leaks with what I did but feel reasonably confident. My biggest concern right now is that I didn't get the cold side pipe in the lower boot quite far enough and it may be my new fail point. All in all I am happy so far with roughly 150 miles on the new setup lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Put on the new pieces this past Saturday and logged some miles with a trip to the city to go Christmas shopping. To do the SPE CCV reroute and the AFE Bladerunner cold side pipe it took me about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to do both. I did alot of looking and thinking to figure everything out but got it done. If had to re do it on another truck I think I could cut it in half on install time. Still just waiting to make sure I don't have leaks with what I did but feel reasonably confident. My biggest concern right now is that I didn't get the cold side pipe in the lower boot quite far enough and it may be my new fail point. All in all I am happy so far with roughly 150 miles on the new setup lol.
Where did you route the CCV vent to? Have you noticed any smoke/smell/steam coming from the reroute? Did you do the internal CCV baffle as well or just the reroute?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I did the internal baffle also but as the instructions they sent didn't say what way to install it I might have it installed "backwards". I have not noticed any smoke or steam but I did get smell. At almost any light where I had to come to a complete stop and sit for even just a couple seconds upon take off it would smell like hot or burning oil, but would clear up within a couple seconds. I routed the hose over the brake booster and then down along side the inner fender so it is exiting along the bell housing. (I believe that it is the bell housing, I'm not super great on the mechanical terms all the time.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for the info! The bellhousing is the big "bowl" looking part of the transmission that bolts to the engine block. It seems as though the only ways to get rid of the smell is to either stick a venturi in the exhaust and run the vent to that, or plumb it back into your intake pipe. Some people have extended the line so it's all the way back near the spare tire. Have to be careful to maintain slope on the hose if going that route though...

·
Registered
929 Posts
@Macd7919 I was 90% sure I was using the correct terminology there lol. I am curious about that exhaust routing way since it does seem like the best idea to me. Isn't the whole point of the reroute to NOT run that back to the intake? That's the impression I was under for doing the mod, or in my case I was wanting to get rid of that whole box and filter the have on there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
@Macd7919 I was 90% sure I was using the correct terminology there lol. I am curious about that exhaust routing way since it does seem like the best idea to me. Isn't the whole point of the reroute to NOT run that back to the intake? That's the impression I was under for doing the mod, or in my case I was wanting to get rid of that whole box and filter the have on there.
No worries! Yes, the advantage to the CCV reroute is getting the oil out of the air stream. If you replace your intercoolering piping (a full kit with the intake manifold replaced as well) you also have to do the CCV reroute as there are no longer provisions for it on the aftermarket piping. With that said, the OEM CCV filter is known to get filled with oil and not do a great job of filtering (hence the oil that gets all over everything in the engine with the factory CCV). Going to a catch can or the baffle version (which you have) is supposed to cut down on the liquid state oil being passed through the system, which is why CCV reroutes without a catch can or baffle tend to drip a little oil under the truck from the reroute hose. The catch cans/baffles don't necessarily help with the smoke/odor though. That's where piping the reroute into the exhaust or intake comes in. You get rid of the "liquid" state oil with the catch can/baffle, and then deal with the smoke/smell part of it by dumping the reroute hose into the intake or the exhaust. Dumping to the exhaust seems to be the more popular option of the two, on this forum at least. My personal hesitation on the exhaust method is that the venturi (the fitting you add to the exhaust pipe to put a small vacuum pull on the CCV hose) seems to be quite finicky on position and angle with no real data on what works best outside of trial and error. I guess you could install it and then just through a vacuum gauge on the hose to make sure it's pulling vacuum but I digress....On other forums, there are people with it piped to the intake, it seems to kind of flow with whatever the popular option for that particular vehicle was at the time people started delving into CCV mods for that model. Anyways, I'm waiting on the parts to arrive for my reroute but what I'd like to do is confirm that I'm eliminating the majority of the liquid state oil from the CCV airstream via the catch can/baffle (granted, there will always be some vapor in there, which I personally don't care about) and then plumb the "clean-ish" CCV back into the intake arm, or possibly just feed it to the airbox. I am slightly hesitant to go the airbox route as I would like to maintain some level of vacuum on the CCV and I don't think the airbox route will get me there, but, it should help with the smell as it would get sucked straight into the filter. I fully understand this will not keep 100% of the oil out of the intake tract (or potentially the filter) but if it reduces it by 75%+ over factory, and I don't have to deal with smell/smoke/dripping then I will consider that a win for what I am after. Anyways, once the parts come in I will post up more on how my proposed solution works, most likely I will start with the air box version and run that for a week or two to see how it goes and if that isn't fitting the bill then I'll tap a fitting into the intake arm and try that out.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If the way I understand that oil "dripping" out of these re route kits are very minimal and looking back on it I might have saved the $150ish dollars on the internal baffle (called internal catch can on the SPE site). I went ahead and bought it all just for the tax write off part and thinking that surely it wouldn't be detrimental to the function of the motor. If for some reason I don't think it's working it won't be that hard to remove now either. Getting rid of that factory box frees up a ton of space in that area.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Personally, I don't want even a single drip coming out (which may not be realistic but def. want to minimize it) so I will be running a catch can/baffle. If you've ever seen what oil does to a driveway it's not pretty. I think you went the best route by including an oil "retention" device in the line.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I got gravel pretty well everywhere I would be parking the truck except the handful of times it gets put in the garage/shed for weather so no biggie to me but I do understand some people prefer cleaner things than me lol. I will be keeping an eye on your tests for alternative routing for this though.

Reactions: Macd7919

·
Registered
201 Posts
Latest projects completed: No Limit Intercooler, SPE hot side pipe, replaced the factory 8” subwoofer with a Kicker RT and added a Rockford sub amp.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Latest projects completed: No Limit Intercooler, SPE hot side pipe, replaced the factory 8” subwoofer with a Kicker RT and added a Rockford sub amp.
How much is the No Limit Intercooler? And do you have pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got mine on Black Friday for a discount. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen the price change on them significantly. If you go non-polished they typically run about $950, up to $1050 for polished finish.

Here’s a pic of it next to the OEM intercooler.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,909 Posts
I am curious as to what improves with the fancy intercooler.

4561 - 4580 of 4610 Posts