Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
64041 - 64060 of 64084 Posts

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
223 Posts
Unless the shocks have springs attached, I doubt it messed with the load capacity of the truck. For lighter trucks I've used spring assisted shocks to help push the slouch out, but not necessarily to help with load.

I am interested in your thoughts of the es3000 shocks. I'm currently on some Bilstein 4600's and it's nice, but I wonder if I could've done better..
The 4600's are probably a step up. I was wanting to soften the rear and the es3000's accomplished that. I'm getting less bounce, but now I'm hitting the bump stops on the upper leaf a lot more.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I loosened my bd y pipes ad attempted to fix my pre turbo exhaust leak. Better, but not perfect. I will try again today or tomorrow before leave to Bishop.
@Flamed99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
562 Posts
I attempted MAP/Oxygen welding Saturday with very minimal success. The silver-colored stick that came with it cracked like it was nothing (probably meant for light gauge steel and not 1/8" diamond plate steel.). The bronze alloy stick that I got from a coworker seems to be holding. And then ran out of Oxygen.

But - gives me hope for a larger gas/torch setup. :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Oil change, 15W40 T6, motorcraft oil & fuel filters. Looks like another round trip to western Kansas coming up. The extra kid we brought back last time isn't working out at all so she's going back with her horse and we're bringing Hannah's other horse back. Not sure why my wife invited her in the first place but I hope she likes driving. I'm staying here to care for dogs and horses so she gets to do the 2400 mile round trip.
Sorry to hear that about the extra kid. Hope your wife has a safe journey there and back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Changed my oil this morning. Decided to try hot shot secrets stiction eliminator this go around. See if I notice a difference

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
562 Posts
Lost all power to the cab this morning on my way to work. Thankfully, it appears that not much of it affected the FICM, as far as I could tell. Stayed at 47-48volts. May have bounced at 46.5 once, but it didn't stay there and I can't remember if it went to 46 or not... I should probably make the torque gauge smaller so I can see it more accurately.

(I'd reload Forscan on my phone, but it gets annoying having to reload the PIDs everytime it decides to reset.)

Grabbed the company 6.7 at lunch, got stung by a wasp that was protecting it, and hooked up to my truck to jump it. Started fine and the positive cable going to the cab didn't appear to be the problem. No charge from the alternator. Installed the spare alternator that I had in the cab in about 20-30 minutes, put everything away, parked the company truck, and after finding a can of spray-killed the wasps.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Got off work and it was charging but lost all charging by the time I got to my destination. By the time I got finished looking at a side job my wife's hair appointment was over so she came over and I hooked the little HHR up the truck to start charging the batteries. A friend picked up a factory spare, and while he was doing that and the HHR was charging, I removed the new alternator.

Friend showed up with spare and I hooked it up. Before I was able to anchor the alt to the engine, and while the HHR was still hooked up, smoke started coming out of the spare alt. I then remembered it had been soaked in coolant because my friend has been driving with a bad head gasket for the past year.

Got it all reconnected, found a vacuum line disconnected, and fired it up. It's charging again and I have max a/c again!!

Checked temp of alt when I got home and it was 220. Checked online and found a post from '09 saying their alts were running at 250-260 for years... So, I guess I'll just take the 2 rebuilds back and see if he installed the 14.5v regulator...
Screenshot_20210720-174612_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20210720-201943_Torque.jpg 20210720_202051.jpg 20210720_202056.jpg 20210720_202110.jpg 20210720_202118.jpg Screenshot_20210720-211041_Brave.jpg

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'm interested to see if my truck will be dead again in a few days. All my readings looked normal while we were camping. Volts were 13.2 and above all trip and FICM was 49 or more the whole time. I know I have an issue with #7 glow plug. Wonder if it could be causing a draw somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Got my y-pipe sealed up. I had a gap at the turbo. Still a tiny bit laggier than it should be, with a bit of smoke at heavy throttle, but better. I checked manifold bolts. They were all tight, all 31 of them. Lower bolt on cyl. 2 is snapped off flush to the head. The one you can’t see, behind the coil spring bracket. Awesome, since I am just leaving for a 1,000 mile trip, pulling the dump trailer full of split oak for the father in law.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm interested to see if my truck will be dead again in a few days. All my readings looked normal while we were camping. Volts were 13.2 and above all trip and FICM was 49 or more the whole time. I know I have an issue with #7 glow plug. Wonder if it could be causing a draw somehow.

There's a thread somewhere talking about making sure the alternators have a 14.5v regulator, or else they prematurely die. That's what I'll be checking with the guy that built both that failed.

Clipped my terminal end so that the alt wires sat flat on the battery terminal, maximizing surface contact. Drove to work with excellent numbers. And the temp of the alt was less than 200. But I wasn't running anything more than headlights and ambient temp was less than 80. I'll be taking the alts to the repair shop at lunch and will check before and after temps than as well.

Screenshot_20210721-081033_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20210721-081044_Torque.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I know they're spendy, but IMO, it's sooooo worth saving up the money and buying a DC Power or Leece Neville HP alternator!!

I used to worry about my voltages with the stock setup and watch them like a hawk, but now with the DC Power 180A, (even at 100°+ ambient temps with the AC going full blast) the lowest I see is 13.9v. Even more important now that I'm going to be out and about pulling our travel trailer.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Well, got my new tow tune loaded this morning. Will test it out with the trailer tomorrow, but it feels good just driving around! Tomorrow is oil change & fuel filters...

-jokester

·
Registered
17 Posts
I decided to clean my A/C Condenser (the fin radiator closest to the grill) last nite. I used a 4 to 1 mix of Nu-Brite Consenser Coil Cleaner which is used in the commercial HVAC industry to clean coils. I loosened the top two bolts to move the condenser out for more room during cleaning. I poured about a gallon on the condenser fins and let it sit 10 mins. OMG the stuff foamed up to a black foam with the grime and bugs just streaming off. Next, I took a hose and sprayed forward. It was unbelievable the grime and crap that came out of the condenser. I need to take it on a drive and see if it has improved the A/C cabin temps--can't imagine it not helping. After seeing all the grime I think I'll clean the Evaporator (in front of the heater core - pax side) next.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I decided to clean my A/C Condenser (the fin radiator closest to the grill) last nite. I used a 4 to 1 mix of Nu-Brite Consenser Coil Cleaner which is used in the commercial HVAC industry to clean coils. I loosened the top two bolts to move the condenser out for more room during cleaning. I poured about a gallon on the condenser fins and let it sit 10 mins. OMG the stuff foamed up to a black foam with the grime and bugs just streaming off. Next, I took a hose and sprayed forward. It was unbelievable the grime and crap that came out of the condenser. I need to take it on a drive and see if it has improved the A/C cabin temps--can't imagine it not helping. After seeing all the grime I think I'll clean the Evaporator (in front of the heater core - pax side) next.
[/QUOTE

Might try that on my ex. It’s cold but not as cold as I would like

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
First time driving hills with it pulling my 9klbs fiver when it tow haul mode and it down shifted and i saw the needle jump past 3800 rpm i taught it was going to blow it self up , scared the crap out of me .

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
First time driving hills with it pulling my 9klbs fiver when it tow haul mode and it down shifted and i saw the needle jump past 3800 rpm i taught it was going to blow it self up , scared the crap out of me .

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Tow haul is awesome once you get used to it - helps save on brakes.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Some plumbers were looking for a place to haul dirt so I told them to pile it on. Made it a quarter mile before detuning my FICM and when I got home I reduced the ecm tune
20210723_223832.jpg

Reactions: TwinExcursions

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
My truck is very much not liking the altitude. We are camping at 8,900’. I switched to stock tuning in town at 5k elevation to check. It just smokes and will hardly move. When I get home the exhaust leaks are getting fixed, and possibly new ebp sensor just because.

64041 - 64060 of 64084 Posts