Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

63301 - 63320 of 63332 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Too hot/humid this time of year here for tent camping. Looks like a great time out there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Partly cloudy and 65 on the Oregon coast. Pretty darn good weather!

-jokester

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Just got off of the phone with a friend who lives in West Linn south of Portland. He said it is going to be 100° there today!
BTL

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
840 Posts
93 and 50% sticky here today... great day to work outside

·
Registered
840 Posts
New starter and fired up like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
My son is getting things ready to move into his new house and the 'ol 6.0's A/C had stopped working, so I've been letting him use my Ranger the past few days. I figured I'd help him out and charge the system and see if I could find the leak. No luck there, but there's definitely a leak, I'll need to get some dye. After that I figured I'd pull the coolant filter and clean it, because I was curious and because I was pretty sure he hadn't done it since he started driving it.

I'm now eating crow I guess. The filter was coated with sooty coolant, quite a bit of magnetic material and something that appeared to be sand. I didn't take pictures because I don't want to remember it.

It looks like my KDD heads, Fel-pro gaskets and ARP studs couldn't handle it long term. At least not with a 22 year old behind the wheel. It hasn't puked, but it was about a 1/2 gallon low on coolant. Unless someone can come up with a better reason for the soot in the coolant, I have to go with leaky gaskets.

Still runs great, so we'll see how long it lasts with the leaks. I'm not doing gaskets on it next time. It'll either be someone else or it'll be sold as-is.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Danm studs , orings , and new gaskets and she blows how much miles since the upgrades ?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
My son is getting things ready to move into his new house and the 'ol 6.0's A/C had stopped working, so I've been letting him use my Ranger the past few days. I figured I'd help him out and charge the system and see if I could find the leak. No luck there, but there's definitely a leak, I'll need to get some dye. After that I figured I'd pull the coolant filter and clean it, because I was curious and because I was pretty sure he hadn't done it since he started driving it.

I'm now eating crow I guess. The filter was coated with sooty coolant, quite a bit of magnetic material and something that appeared to be sand. I didn't take pictures because I don't want to remember it.

It looks like my KDD heads, Fel-pro gaskets and ARP studs couldn't handle it long term. At least not with a 22 year old behind the wheel. It hasn't puked, but it was about a 1/2 gallon low on coolant. Unless someone can come up with a better reason for the soot in the coolant, I have to go with leaky gaskets.

Still runs great, so we'll see how long it lasts with the leaks. I'm not doing gaskets on it next time. It'll either be someone else or it'll be sold as-is.
I sure dont have a better reason for it but that sucks. I think that is the first case of failed/failing gaskets I have heard of after KDD heads. Hopefully it doesnt get worse anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
Danm studs , orings , and new gaskets and she blows how much miles since the upgrades ?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Really unknown. With the amount of soot I cleaned out of the IPR filter, it's been a little while. It's got almost 80k on it since the heads and studs were done. Guessing, I'd say they started giving up at least 10k ago.

All I can assume is that the deck was not as true as I thought and hoped for. Since I didn't do the bottom end, all I could do was clean and prep the surface and check it manually.

Maybe a re-torque after 10k or something might have helped, IDK.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
I sure dont have a better reason for it but that sucks. I think that is the first case of failed/failing gaskets I have heard of after KDD heads. Hopefully it doesnt get worse anytime soon.

Well, I was a very early adopter, but I am not blaming this on the heads. They were very high quality peices. Not blaming the gaskets either. I think they were just about as good as any you can get. I have to assume the block needed decking.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
I added some matt black bling
And replaced the brake light switch
Now i get to replace the brake light switch pigtail because apparently 16 year old plastic gets a tad brittle

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts

Unless you're building pressure in the system, I wouldn't automatically jump to failed HGs. Pulled plenty of dark looking chit out of coolant filters over the years in my own and other's vehicles and never had any HG problems. The leak would have to be substantially larger to get particulate (soot) from the combustion side into the coolant, and that wouldn't come without a whole lot of pressure pushing behind it. You'd notice it puking long before you got actual "soot" into a coolant filter.

Now, overheated/broken down coolant, debris in the coolant jackets, etc....that stuff sure, but I would do some diagnostics before jumping. Just my $0.02.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
Unless you're building pressure in the system, I wouldn't automatically jump to failed HGs. Pulled plenty of dark looking chit out of coolant filters over the years in my own and other's vehicles and never had any HG problems. The leak would have to be substantially larger to get particulate (soot) from the combustion side into the coolant, and that wouldn't come without a whole lot of pressure pushing behind it. You'd notice it puking long before you got actual "soot" into a coolant filter.

Now, overheated/broken down coolant, debris in the coolant jackets, etc....that stuff sure, but I would do some diagnostics before jumping. Just my $0.02.
Oh, I agree. I haven't stuck a gauge on it yet. Just assuming the worst I suppose. I'll definitely do so more digging before condemning anything just yet, but on the surface, it appears to be a combustion leak into the system. I'll probably drain the system and run some distilled and Cascade through it to see if I can clean it up a bit too.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Sheesh didn't know you were still around here Chris. Glad to see you still have that beast.
Quarantine has me coming back to old forums, hell - I didn't even know PSO was still around! The layout has changed a bit, but it's not too hard to get used to. I've been out of the powerstroke game for so long, I don't know what's what anymore!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bumper w/lights, steering stabilizer and some AMP steps

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wish I had that kind of change... I just picked up a Ranch Hand rear bumper that just came into a local junker on a busted F350 for $50. But I've got to sandblast it, then get it powder coated. Needs a little TLF.

That junk that looks like rust on the center plate is actually just some or rubber crap and dirt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Swapped in my EGR valve since it's time to be compliant with the smog nazis demands for another 2 years
$479/year for a 16 year old truck is flat out theft

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Swapped in my EGR valve since it's time to be compliant with the smog nazis demands for another 2 years

WOW!! Ours just went up to $185 for 2 years, and I thought THAT was bad...geez!

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

Ya thats ridiculous, that would pay for almost 9 years worth at the current rate here in Idaho.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

63301 - 63320 of 63332 Posts