Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

62901 - 62920 of 62974 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
My wife shops at Aldi and they don't give you bags, they sell em or you can bring your own. So the back of her Explorer has 2 or 3 of the freezer bags stuffed with plastic and paper bags from all the other stores. She only goes to the store every few weeks so she can stuff the Explorer pretty full.
My parents shop at Aldi back in Illinois. They're always telling me all the good deals for the week :D LOL

-jokester

·
Premium Member
7,651 Posts
My parents shop at Aldi back in Illinois. They're always telling me all the good deals for the week :D LOL

-jokester
Their store brand cereal is better than brand name. And they do have pretty good prices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove it. I have a car that is broke down that is my daily, so I don't usually drive it. I'm also building a bed storage system out of plywood, kind of like a Decked system but I can take out the middle plywood to put the 5th wheel hitch in if I need to. And I can put a pad on it for camping.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Finally did I say finally got it back. My son picked it up from the shop today. He said it had 3 chafed wires. I'll find out the details tomorrow when I pay for the repair:grin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
New engine oil pan, All trans lines and Yukon aluminum rear diff cover. Yes I am in the rust belt more to come LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
Been getting a humming sound coming from the front end when doing 10 miles an hour, accelerating, decelerating, braking, or coasting. Couldn't find any shiny metal, all of my joints are fine, new hubs, axles are good, new brakes, front end is sound, new body mounts. Sometimes I would hear something bottom out when I hit a bump or torque the body. The sound was driving me crazy. Finally, I saw that the leaf spring bushings are shot. Need to replace them now, that's likely the sound. Anyone know what bushings would be best?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I liked polygraphite bushing in my trans am years ago.(hotchkiss Performance rear trailing arm kit)
Be suspicious of front wheel bearings for noise. Jack it up,remove the caliper and check for movement

·
Registered
276 Posts
I liked polygraphite bushing in my trans am years ago.(hotchkiss Performance rear trailing arm kit)

Be suspicious of front wheel bearings for noise. Jack it up,remove the caliper and check for movement
The bearings are all new, and I did check the caliper, all was clear there too. This has been a real PITA. I'm hopeful that there is extra vibration from my tires at 10 mph that is causing the leaf springs to vibrate and make the hum due to the worn/disintegrating bushings. It's just a guess at this point, because I don't know what else it could be.

Also, I installed the new Riff Raff hotside boots today, and boy are they tight and like 5x thicker than stock. Thanks for the suggestion on those, guys.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
A few years back we had to do a safety inspection on an avalanche my wife inherited. Took 2 or 3 front wheels bearing before we got a good one. No idea what the ones for a Ford are like

·
Registered
276 Posts
A few years back we had to do a safety inspection on an avalanche my wife inherited. Took 2 or 3 front wheels bearing before we got a good one. No idea what the ones for a Ford are like
Mine are whatever come packed in the timkens. I've spun them on the rack, rocked them, tried with different tires, tested them in every way I could think of, I don't think they're the problem.

They were bad originally, and I could see where they scalded the inside of the hub when I replaced them; they were making a loud roaring sound at that point.

Now, they roll smooth as glass, don't rock, and don't make any noise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bearings are all new, and I did check the caliper, all was clear there too. This has been a real PITA. I'm hopeful that there is extra vibration from my tires at 10 mph that is causing the leaf springs to vibrate and make the hum due to the worn/disintegrating bushings. It's just a guess at this point, because I don't know what else it could be.

Also, I installed the new Riff Raff hotside boots today, and boy are they tight and like 5x thicker than stock. Thanks for the suggestion on those, guys.

Just my opinion but worn leaf spring bushings usually dont make a hum, the would bang or clunk from my experience.
Wheel bearings usually start out at a speed and get louder the faster you go and may change the noise if you try going side to side while driving.
Tires ar similar to wheel bearing noise but dont change usually when you swerve left or right lightly.
Lock outs you seem to hear more often at slower speeds and get quieter above a certain speed.
Just FYI from what I normally see, but there are always exceptions or special cases that drive you half nuts
Good luck finding your noise

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I intermittently have a lot of front end whining and screeching noises, sometimes it is accompanied by rear end grumbling, grating and howling noises. It happens on turns, straightaways, hilly and flat terrain, does not seem to matter what type of road. When it is happening it seems that longer drives make it more pronounced. I have discovered that the awful sounds do not occur when I am driving solo, they only show up when my family is accompanying me......;-)
BTL

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just my opinion but worn leaf spring bushings usually dont make a hum, the would bang or clunk from my experience.

Wheel bearings usually start out at a speed and get louder the faster you go and may change the noise if you try going side to side while driving.

Tires ar similar to wheel bearing noise but dont change usually when you swerve left or right lightly.

Lock outs you seem to hear more often at slower speeds and get quieter above a certain speed.

Just FYI from what I normally see, but there are always exceptions or special cases that drive you half nuts

Good luck finding your noise
I know the tires are making some noise because they are cupped, I think that was from the old hubs and bearings, plus the leaf spring bushings. What I think I'm experiencing now is the reverberation from the tires is causing chatter from those bushings because of the metal spacer inside of them is making contact with the leaf spring, because the bushings are so warn. They definitely pop when I rolled the body.

I think the fact that I have aggressive tread definitely causing more aggressive vibrations than normal street tires, which puts me ride in that sound window. As I get closer to 10 miles an hour is when it really starts to clatter. Either way oh, I've got to change those bushings. If I still have the sound after that, I won't be surprised, but I'll definitely be stumped at this point.

The auto lockers are new, too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could always try rotating the tires to the rear if they are better and see if the noise changes or moves
Cross the front tires to the rear and rear straight forward if they are fairly evenly worn, if not cross them also
it will help flatten out the cupped tires if they are still worth trying to save, but if its the tires the noise should move or change
Just something to try that doesn't cost anything but time and effort

·
Registered
276 Posts
You could always try rotating the tires to the rear if they are better and see if the noise changes or moves

Cross the front tires to the rear and rear straight forward if they are fairly evenly worn, if not cross them also

it will help flatten out the cupped tires if they are still worth trying to save, but if its the tires the noise should move or change

Just something to try that doesn't cost anything but time and effort
Just did that last week, the tire noise reduced, but there is still some sound there. If the sound is still there after the bushings, I guess I'll have to put stock tires on and drive and put back on the rack to try to re-diagnose.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I intermittently have a lot of front end whining and screeching noises, sometimes it is accompanied by rear end grumbling, grating and howling noises. It happens on turns, straightaways, hilly and flat terrain, does not seem to matter what type of road. When it is happening it seems that longer drives make it more pronounced. I have discovered that the awful sounds do not occur when I am driving solo, they only show up when my family is accompanying me......;-)

BTL
Sounds like the hub is going out. I had some "whining" sounds from front end for about a year but only heard when running and slight turns. Can home from a christmas party for about two hours in heavy snow and slush in 4wd. Next day driving through town felt the front grinding and pulling like my left front was tied down on a bungee. Found the hub was bad. Hate tonday it took me about 6 months to actually fix it as I was super busy. Not saying it's your issue but something to look at.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
How difficult is it to remove the turbo on these trucks and "clean" them if possible? Thinking I got "sticky" vanes.

·
Premium Member
7,651 Posts
How difficult is it to remove the turbo on these trucks and "clean" them if possible? Thinking I got "sticky" vanes.
Not that hard, you'll like that new topside creeper you bought!, a couple bolts are a pita to get loose, think I used a u-joint and a wobble extension. Getting the up-pipe resealed is prolly the hardest part, at least it was for me. Get the install kit and if you don't have the updated oil feed get that and the updated drain tube.

62901 - 62920 of 62974 Posts