Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1396 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
To be fair, it's not hard at all, just a lot of unfamiliar stuff to look at. There's a google docs spreadsheet here, it has a tab with basic but good instructions. Essentially download and install software on laptop or phone, hook up cable, back up the "as-built" settings for your vehicle, then make a one or two byte change and write it back. Worked flawlessly.

Since I've never seen the data in the truck computer at this level, I wanted to double- and triple-check locations even though I had a backup. :)

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
To be fair, it's not hard at all, just a lot of unfamiliar stuff to look at. There's a google docs spreadsheet here, it has a tab with basic but good instructions. Essentially download and install software on laptop or phone, hook up cable, back up the "as-built" settings for your vehicle, then make a one or two byte change and write it back. Worked flawlessly.

Since I've never seen the data in the truck computer at this level, I wanted to double- and triple-check locations even though I had a backup. :)
Yep,,, I'll just watch!
I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on here yet.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ordered Firestone Ride Rite airbags for the rear and the Firestone Wireless Air Command F3. Should arrive before the weekend to give me some truck/shop time!

Reactions: PawPaw

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ordered Firestone Ride Rite airbags for the rear and the Firestone Wireless Air Command F3. Should arrive before the weekend to give me some truck/shop time!
Any need to add airbags to your DRW...the 17's don't squat down as much as the 16's. Mine leveled out nicely with over 3K pounds pin weight on the 5th wheel.

Reactions: 2rr2nv2018

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well nothing I did to the truck but rather what the truck did. I think it went thru its first regen and man.....that thing must cook! I watched my MPGs drop as I was driving it. Parked it in the shop and heat was radiating from under that truck like crazy.

Note to self.....don't park that rig near the straw barn!

·
Registered
231 Posts

Here is my new piglet. Absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice...congrats!! How about some more pics and specs on that Black Beauty.

Reactions: gypsees

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice...congrats!! How about some more pics and specs on that Black Beauty.

2017 350 Lariat. Has the optional 4.10 gears. I've been without a Diesel for 10 years and hated every minute of it... this one is not a highly optioned lariat. I am really missing my A/C seats that I had in my 12 F-150. I have a 33ft travel trailer that I will start pulling with this once I hit 1000 miles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The same with my Lariat...went to look at a leftover '16 Lariat DRW and then looked at the two '17's they had..one Black and one Gold that were lightly optioned. Once I drove the '17 I was hooked...went with the White Gold because I'm too old and lazy to keep up the Black!! My truck pulls our 14K pound toyhauler easily. Gets 10.4 @60 mph doing it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Any need to add airbags to your DRW...the 17's don't squat down as much as the 16's. Mine leveled out nicely with over 3K pounds pin weight on the 5th wheel.

We have the same camper as you, a 15 371???

Why is it I read in some places you should wait for 1000 miles before hauling? I was talking to the dealer, he said he has contractors that come and drive out with 10 to 15 K of loads, no problem....? Is there something I should know?

Mine is being built as we speak, I ordered the SRW Lariat with every option and black. We pull 4 to 6 times a year, that is why we use a SRW, cant fit the DRW in my garage.

Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We have the same camper as you, a 15 371???

Why is it I read in some places you should wait for 1000 miles before hauling? I was talking to the dealer, he said he has contractors that come and drive out with 10 to 15 K of loads, no problem....? Is there something I should know?

Mine is being built as we speak, I ordered the SRW Lariat with every option and black. We pull 4 to 6 times a year, that is why we use a SRW, cant fit the DRW in my garage.

Thanks.
My dealers service manager told me to wait until a thousand miles also. Just probably wanted to see if anything would fall apart before putting a load on!! 2K miles on mine now without any problems...I plan on towing the trailer a lot more with the dually. Every time we pulled with the F-250 I was waiting for something to break. Big difference in stability with the DRW vs the SRW but sometimes you have to look at the practical side. Really like the Fuzion so far and its great for taking the grandkids. 1-1/2 baths are nice and the wife loves the king size bed. Looking for a spot to go this upcoming weekend!!

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I've read that the reason that they want us to wait 1000 miles is so that the ring and pinion gear set in the rear end can seat together without a load on the truck. That said, I've heard of guys hooking up a large camper on the first day and taking off for vacation without a problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It used to be to allow the piston rings and piston walls to seat without a load. My dealer suggested that with newer manufacturing techniques it isn't as important as the engines are machined to near perfection.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I've heard all kinds of reasons to not tow within the first 1k miles. Some say it's for the differential other say the engine and then other say brakes. Regardless, it's in the manual and it wouldn't surprise me with these trucks and their computer sophistication that they can can record when a trailer was hooked up. That would give Ford grounds to deny claims. Not saying they would....but they could. So I just enjoyed the first 1000 miles of driving w/o a trailer (gave me a chance to take some day and weekend trips!).

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've heard all kinds of reasons to not tow within the first 1k miles. Some say it's for the differential other say the engine and then other say brakes. Regardless, it's in the manual and it wouldn't surprise me with these trucks and their computer sophistication that they can can record when a trailer was hooked up. That would give Ford grounds to deny claims. Not saying they would....but they could. So I just enjoyed the first 1000 miles of driving w/o a trailer (gave me a chance to take some day and weekend trips!).

I think I will just drive the 1000 and be safe.

Thanks all

201 - 220 of 1396 Posts