Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is driving me crazy :censored:I am geting ready to go on a long trip with my truck. I dont know if it has ever been changed, and i want to buy a replacement Crank Position Sensor to keep on hand just to be safe. I have been reading for a couple hours and i cant seem to find an answer on which CPS is best :doh: I want to know which color/number to buy and where to get it from.
:help::thankyou2:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump..... come on guys someone has to have some experience with this

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
As a spare? I'd just get the cheapest one you can find...

That's gonna be a Grey one for sure. What color do you have in there now? If you're still running on your Original Black CPS you're right, don't leave without a spare (+ the tools to change it).

I think All Too Much has been made of the whole "Good/Bad CPS" thing. The VAST majority of trucks out there are running on Grey ones. They seem to be Just Fine for most people.

At one time, it was worth finding a Black one maybe... BUT today, forget it! They're just all gone (unless you spend stupid $$ for one, and the value of that is pretty questionable ;) )

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Go too Ford and buy a spare CPS, it's a grey colored one. Stay away from the parts store crap especially the black one, I made that mistake and the problem I had was when it rains the windshield wiper's interfer with the CPS and the truck stuff off, which suck's when your pulling a 9,000lb camper:doh:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Im running the IH blue/purple one. It smoothed out a rough idle my grey one was causing. I keep the grey one in the glove box, just in case.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I still have the factory black one, so it needs to be changed I'm sure. I herd rumors on other forums that certain ones were ruining their mileage. Anyone have any info on that?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im running the IH blue/purple one. It smoothed out a rough idle my grey one was causing. I keep the grey one in the glove box, just in case.

I was actually thinking of going that route and keeping the one on my truck now as a spare. So if I still have the factory black one will I notice a difference in idle, or will it be the same with the IH one?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was actually thinking of going that route and keeping the one on my truck now as a spare. So if I still have the factory black one will I notice a difference in idle, or will it be the same with the IH one?
Mine had kind of a lope to it, but not like it was cammed, more sporadic.. it smoothing my idle is about the only difference I've noticed. Didn't change my mpg or power that I could tell.

Now I can't say it would do the same for your truck, I think it's going to vary some from truck to truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts

You wouldnt happen to have the part number for IH would you?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I went to international a while back to get a blue one and they said it's discontinued and they now have a grey one. Don't quote me on that though.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
Here's all you want to know about the various CPS's

Black, Grey, & Dark Blue Cam Position Sensor Perdels Test - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnthings8/2002-f-350-superduty/cam-position-sensor-information

Here's some #'s

Original Black CPS
Ford: F7TZ-12K073-A
IH(equivlant): 1825899C93
IH(superceded version): 1821720C99
Recall Grey CPS
Ford: F7TZ-12K073-B
IH(equivlant): 1876735C91
97-03 original CPS (black): Ford Part # - F7TZ-12K073-A, corresponding IH Part # - 1825899C93
97-03 updated CPS (grey): Ford Part # - F7TZ-12K073-B, corresponding IH Part # - 1876735C91

IH DT466 original CPS (blue): IH Part # - 1807339C92
IH DT466 updated CPS (grey)*: IH Part # - 1885812C91

BUT, AGAIN, It's my thinking that Way Too Much is being made of this.... ;)

Also, if you have the time, eBay is the cheapest place to buy one from. I got a spare for like $15

·
Registered
797 Posts
BUT, AGAIN, It's my thinking that Way Too Much is being made of this.... ;)
I do want to agree here. If your truck is running good with no issues, no need to start changing things. If your happy with the way that CPS performs, grab a spare just like it.

If its causing issues (that are known to be CPS related) then I would try changing after alot of reading to find which would fit your needs best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts