Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What changes through the years?

936 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  superduty4x4 
#1 ·
What are the changes through the years from 99 to 03 7.3. What are the best years? I am looking at an 02, so what should I check and look out for?

#2 ·
Howdy Sir, I just recently bought an 02 7.3 as well! While I wasn't there to check it out myself, I did have my parents bring it to another local Ford dealership (one that we know and do trust) had their diesel mechanic do a once over, scan, and 120 point check or something like that. Scaned clean with one tune loaded on it, and the up-pipes were leaking so we had the original dealership change the up-pipes and reflash the PCM. Very pleased with the purchase, will be even more pleased when I get to drive it! Happy Hunting!

~Phil

#3 ·
Good idea there is a dealership close by.

#4 ·
There are 2 99 models- an early 99 and a late 99, or 99.5. The early model has a smaller turbo, smaller injectors, different HPOP, and some differences in the front end (brakes and track bar mostly). The late models are more favored by the go-fast crowd because parts are more readily available.
99.5-01 no real big changes. Some of the 01's got a diode in the trans that was failure prone.
Somewhere around 01 the rods in the motor changed from forged to powdered metal (PMR's). The PMR's aren't as strong as the prior forged rods and things get a little dicey once you start pushing the 400hp mark. PMR's like to try and escape through the block once you get into that range of power.
02-03 saw no changes to the drivetrain but got some interior upgrades- different gauge cluster, slightly different dash, more little stuff.
That's it in a nutshell, hope this helps.

#5 ·
So 2000 would be the year to get. It has the go fast parts, forged rods and no diode, correct? thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.