Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo just shot craps. I had just done the egr delete, oil cooler replacement, updated oil feed and drain lines and 6.4 banjo bolts. Everything was fine for a day and then started making noise. Pulled apart and has a lot of shaft play. What would have caused this to happen. Just want to make sure when I get a new one that it doesn't happen again. Could it not be getting oil for some reason?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost forgot I also rerouted my ccv.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just crappy bearings in general or lack of oil. It doesnt take long to burn out a bearing, think how fast thats spinning around, lack of oil or quality oil will eat it up pretty fast also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had just put new 5w40 synthetic in it. Is there a way to tell if its getting oil? Could I have messed something up with the new oil cooler install?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
nah, chalk it up to bad luck. who knows how the previous owner treated the truck. not letting the turbo cool down is a recipe for an early death

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Is there a way to make sure it is getting oil? I don't want my new used turbo going bad right away. Pulling a big a** boat to the lake this weekend and really don't want to be messing with turbo issues once I bolt another one on. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I figured out what happened to my turbo. When I removed it I noticed some plastic debris had gotten in the hole where the oil feed line goes. I'm guessing this didn't allow enough oil to enter the turbo. Must have somehow gotten in there when I was re-assembling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts