Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all I've had done to my 95 dually I now have a problem with the ride. It's a 1 ton with Firestone 5000 air bags in the rear and Bilstein's 5100 on the front and I hate the ride. I'm running BFG 215/85R16 AT. Now, I know it's a truck and will ride like a truck but not like a dump truck. On rough roads with ruts my front tires are all over the road bouncing and I'm constantly correcting. Honestly it probably looks like I'm hopped up on something from behind me. I hope some people on here can give me some ideas of how I can tame this beast of a truck. I'm not looking for a caddy ride but I would like to enjoy the time behind the wheel. Thanks

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I never really minded the ride in my 94 CC DRW. It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad for a truck. Are you running much air in the bags with no load in the bed? I hope there are also shocks back there as well (you didn't mention them). One thing I could not do was run the tires at their rated pressure (85 psi, Load Range E). I had to run them at about 60 psi, otherwise the truck was really squirrely on the highway. Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just have stock shocks on the back with the air bags at 10 PSI. They've been on for 8 years and about 6000 miles. I figured with the air bags they were okay. Do you know if bad shocks on the back would affect the front end the way it is? It doesn't make sense to me but maybe it does. When I have the toy hauler hooked up I get it leveled at 40 PSI. I was wondering about tire pressure when empty. Tires say 80 PSI cold so that's what I have them at. I'll take them down to 65 PSI tomorrow and see what that does for the ride. What do you mean by squirrely? Mine is all over on bad roads and just fine on cement and good asphalt.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Everytime I would get new tires on that rig, I would tell the tire shop to put them at 60 psi. I would hit the highway home and the truck would just feel unstable, especially at the rear end (almost a floating sensation I guess). I would get home and check the pressures ... sure enough they were at 85 psi. I don't know if bad rear shocks would affect the front much. Have you checked the ball joints and pivot bushings, etc? Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ball joints are original. Only thing new, other then shocks, in the front is the outer tie rod. The alignment was done last year and is dead on. I have no wobble when I'm on a good road and it trails straight as a bullet. I have heard real good things about both Bilstein's and Rancho shocks but I chose Bilstein's. No special reason. I will order new shocks for the back today and that and lowering air pressure hopefully will give me a softer ride. I have heard some people changing the old stock springs out for new ones and that makes the ride better. Do you know of anyone doing that, that can confirm what I've heard?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Util you lower your tire pressure down to 65 psi (or lower), I wouldn't waste time fooling with anything else. If you're truck is unloaded and your tires are still at 85 psi, then that's having way more of an impact on your ride than anything else.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back from my Chiropractic treatment so I'm laid up for most of the day but will reduce the air pressure in the morning and see what the results are out on HWY 66. Will repost after. Thanks everyone for your advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive noticed that tire pressure in these trucks really affect them. if you go from 60 to say 45 id say your gonna notice it absorbs more road shock most def. im running like 48 ish in my single rear wheel cclb 350. it does okay, there just stiff trucks. i keep 350lbs of sand tubes under my toolbox in back and it drastically reduces the harshness. more weight the smoother ittl get. these kind of trucks are what real men drive lol wife hates it, i love it

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove over the same place I did before lowering the front tire PSI to 65 and there is a difference but minimal. It is a very rough road though. 18 wheeler rock haulers run over it all day long rough. The front didn't bounce around as much and not as much steering corrections. I'll set the duallys to 65 and get it out on the freeway tomorrow but it's feeling pretty good now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
try adding a little weight in the bed, a few bags of sand made mine much more enjoyable to drive. like i said i shoved them up under the toolbox so you dont see them. just an old timers trick lol

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
try adding a little weight in the bed, a few bags of sand made mine much more enjoyable to drive. like i said i shoved them up under the toolbox so you dont see them. just an old timers trick lol
Can you share some photos of your "sand tubes"? How many of them do you have to hold 350 lbs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
im at work at the moment but there just run of the mill tubes of sand from lowes/menards. stack 6 back there and youll notice greatly how good it will ride. ill try and snap a pic when i get home. its nothin special

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Ah, so you're using bags of Tube Sand:

I was envisioning a PVC tube filled with sand for some reason.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Util you lower your tire pressure down to 65 psi (or lower), I wouldn't waste time fooling with anything else. If you're truck is unloaded and your tires are still at 85 psi, then that's having way more of an impact on your ride than anything else.
Yup. Also let all the air out of the bags.
Above was mentioned about a cclb, they ride much better than a single cab. Especially if that cclb was 2wd.
Next thing I woukd suggest is looking into sulastic shackles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
hmm whats these sulastic shackles you speak of, mine is a cclb 4x4. i could use all the help i can get. are these like the old velvet rides??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts