Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing a lot of work to my truck, but the thing is I don't want to get to far out of the value range. Most of the stuff I'm planning on doing I think will increase value.

What I will have-

1997 Ford f250 SCLB, obv 7.3 with 202k, 5 speed(3:55's) 4x4, XL, no AC or power options, good ol manual stuff. ( rides a little rough) d60 up front with 1 ton springs. Fully inspected, no issues insured and registered, drive 50 miles daily.
NOTE* I drive this truck everyday, fill to the filler neck everytime, I consistently see 17-18 city, and 20-22 highway with this truck, running about 65mph some idling and not 100% light footed.

Truck is from Maine, that being said frame and body are good, original with no patches for rust ect, everything have been cleaned and POR15ed, will have new paint, not original color( does that effect value much? something I need to consider)...Im also doing E-fuel right now, and am going to rebuild the tranny, throw some new syncros in it. Engine runs amazingly, starts great in any temps, no hesitation ever, stock rebuilt turbo, HPOP is strong, 35" bfg MT's 80% tread. also have a canned ts chip.

Im sure I missed stuff, but thats the jist of it for sure, Im about 1600$(including E-fuel parts) into the truck before Paint, tranny or bed.

I figure
Tranny-500
bed/bodywork-500
paint-500
Approx

so, Ill have ~3kish into the truck and hoping to have a clean looking 100% truck, 202k miles rebuilt 5 speed, d60 1 ton. If I havn't already gone over the value I might get stage 1's for her (but!!!!stock injectors are great shape, no signs of problem),

*****oil in this truck stays VERY clear between 3,000 oil changes 6,000 mile HPOP oil changes*****

because if I throw 1000$ at injectors for no reason, i wouldn't want to take a loss in value, how would injectors effect value?

any thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also should stress I have no reason to want to sell this truck OR am I considering it, me just being me feel the need to not over spend on something that isn't worth it and can't return what I do to it.

I don't mind putting 2,000$ into something and getting 1500 back, even 1000, But i cant fathom putting 10,000$ into a 3000$ pickup.

******truck also has DP, 4" Diamond eye, DIY intake , boost, EGT , Fuel press gauges.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Depends where you are and how clean it is. Rusted to **** obs powerstrokes sell for 6-8,000 around these parts.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is by no means rusted to **** lol, but because its a Maine truck, salt on the roads ect, I did have to get new fender, but the frame/crossmembers/cab have no rust or pitting ect, I wirewheeled everything and put a thick coat of por15 on there.

but wow, cant believe they are worth that much. So if I got her all painted up, new injectors ect, prettied up and asked 6,000ish it wouldn't be a super high price.

thats not to bad.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
i'm not saying your truck is rusted, but if it WAS, thats how much it would be worth around here. Yes, you could def get 6g for a clean OBS. No question.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
That is a nice truck.... If you plan on keeping it for a long time do whatever you want to it. You know as well as i do that truck do loose there value over the years. So make it your toy until it cant make it up the hill no more and just buy another one and swap the parts onto that one. You know what im saying?

it is a nice truck, i cant find any cheap ones here in New Hampshire
:grd:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I plan on keeping my truck. I bought it for $4700, after trans rebuild, new main and rod bearings, oil pan, resealed engine etc etc etc. I've got $8000 total into the truck and am looking at having the rust repaired and painted.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is a nice truck.... If you plan on keeping it for a long time do whatever you want to it. You know as well as i do that truck do loose there value over the years. So make it your toy until it cant make it up the hill no more and just buy another one and swap the parts onto that one. You know what im saying?

it is a nice truck, i cant find any cheap ones here in New Hampshire
:grd:

NH? ill check craigslist over here for you, ive seen a few killer deals on CC obs's that Ive almost bought for projects, what do you like? my rules are CCLB or RCLB 5 speed 4x4 strictly. and I like solid front axles, so f350 is normally all I would buy, but my little baby 250 has been upgraded.

oh, and she is already on the drive it till it dies plan, debating re-enforcing the frame with some nice big channel iron/i beams and putting her to work plowing, make some money this winter aboard her. everything is there to do it. Just need to convince myself to plow or not to plow.

Looking into some summit racing single stage paints, Dark jewl metalic, close to my factory ( dark tourmaline metallic) but not so expensive, and its single stage easy paint, I'm sure she would look much better. Either way Ive got about 5,000 in my project account saved up, we will see how I spend it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on keeping my truck. I bought it for $4700, after trans rebuild, new main and rod bearings, oil pan, resealed engine etc etc etc. I've got $8000 total into the truck and am looking at having the rust repaired and painted.

why did you throw new rod/mains in her? had to pull the engine out to put the new oil pan on anyway? I'm hoping I don't have to buy a remand s5-47, they go for 1100, going to drop the tranny, and throw a 250$ rebuild kit @ it, probably will need a few new gears or shafts, hoping to get out of it under 500-600.

what are you thinking for paint? Im in that boat, the truck deserves it, PO hit a can of paint and its all down the side of it ( silver paint, on a dark green truck...so much character lol) + wear/tear dents and scratched for 200,000 miles worth.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
These rigs go between 5-12k here no rust just miles mods and dents and dings but if its on your plans already to run it till it dies who cares what its worth, just make yourself happy and your truck

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a source on parts, a few fenders and a bed, supposidly all clean, so Im pumped to paint this thing, not sure if I will have the weather to do it before winter, but im probably going to try.

The cheap single stage stuff sets up fast, and we will have some warm days left, then gotta get the snowmobile out and hook the plow on.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
All vehicles lose money, but one thing with these if they have the right things (appears yours does) is that they hold pretty close to purchase price. I'd reckon with the money and mods I've got into my truck I could get 8-12k out of it, paid $5k for it.

Basically my truck is a superduty without the hassle of getting into that tiny engine bay. Less cab room sure, but I'd rather have that than no room in the engine bay.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All vehicles lose money, but one thing with these if they have the right things (appears yours does) is that they hold pretty close to purchase price. I'd reckon with the money and mods I've got into my truck I could get 8-12k out of it, paid $5k for it.

Basically my truck is a superduty without the hassle of getting into that tiny engine bay. Less cab room sure, but I'd rather have that than no room in the engine bay.

Yeah the obs's have much more room in the engine thats for sure. Also another thing ive noticed with my truck that separates it from the superdutys is ride, my truck is pretty harsh, not sure if thats fixable or just how it is, because it doesnt bother me I dont really look into it, but she doesn't ride very well thats for sure :).

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yeah the obs's have much more room in the engine thats for sure. Also another thing ive noticed with my truck that separates it from the superdutys is ride, my truck is pretty harsh, not sure if thats fixable or just how it is, because it doesnt bother me I dont really look into it, but she doesn't ride very well thats for sure :).
You can swap over to a reverse shackle kit in the front. You use super duty v code springs for the front as they are longer and b code in the rear. It then rides like a superduty and has a bit of a lift up front. I plan that mod here shortly.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Found a source on parts, a few fenders and a bed, supposidly all clean, so Im pumped to paint this thing, not sure if I will have the weather to do it before winter, but im probably going to try.

The cheap single stage stuff sets up fast, and we will have some warm days left, then gotta get the snowmobile out and hook the plow on.
Dont believe the rust free stuff unless it JUST came from the south or west. It will LOOK rust free today and be rotten tomorrow if it came from anywhere near you

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everything rust fast, thats for sure, but there are always the 2wd trucks that dont get taken out in the winter as much, and the ones that get very well taken care of. you just need to be aware of how fast everything goes to **** with the stuff they put on the roads in the winter here.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appreciate it!, i will check everything over for sure, Rust is a big problem here, and I know that and have been dealing with it my entire life, but I also know that there are things that can escape it, southern vehicles are the most common, but you see some weather it be low miles/ great preventative maintenance or low exposure to the rust agents.

ill take pictures when I get the stuff, if i even do, hopefully the guy will call me back soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts