Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light has been coming on lately. The code that I am getting is P401 "exhaust gas circulation" I was told that it has to do with the EGR valve possibly sticking or being stuck. I have been running the Spartan 210 tune for a long time with no issues. If it is the EGR valve is sticking or is stuck, please explain how that would be, becasue I was under the impression that the spartan 210 tune shuts off EGR valve. My questions are as follows...

1. Is it ok to continue driving with this issue?
2. Will putting the EGR block off plates fix anything related to this issue?
3. What exactly is causing this code to be thrown?
4. Would this happen if I was not using the tuner?
5. Why does the check engine light stay off when I clear the code, then pop back up several tanks of diesel down the road?

If anyone can ELABORATE on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The 210 tune disables the EGR function, but I believe the sensor and motor need to be electrically connected. Did you unplug these sensors?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 210 tune disables the EGR function, but I believe the sensor and motor need to be electrically connected. Did you unplug these sensors?
Whatever sensors were inside of the DPF were plugged back into the ports that were on the DPF delete. So I guess that would be a no. Can you please give me some more details.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i was getting that and i also got the p401a which is egr valve stuck open and your truck has no power when that happens. I think your getting that cause the cycling of the egr at startup is maybe sticking and causing a delay. Im not positive but i think the egr still cycles at startup, Because i was running egr delete tunes when i got the codes. At the moment i havent put block off plates in yet...there top on my list but i have the plug to the egr disconnected and i've driven over 1000 miles like this with no issues!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was getting that and i also got the p401a which is egr valve stuck open and your truck has no power when that happens. I think your getting that cause the cycling of the egr at startup is maybe sticking and causing a delay. Im not positive but i think the egr still cycles at startup, Because i was running egr delete tunes when i got the codes. At the moment i havent put block off plates in yet...there top on my list but i have the plug to the egr disconnected and i've driven over 1000 miles like this with no issues!
Do you have any idea what causes the EGR valve to get stuck in the first place?

·
Registered
310 Posts
all the soot from the tunes...they dump in a lot of fuel and what doesnt get burned up goes through the egr and eventually exit as that big cloud of smoke you make when u lay on it!:scuffy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all the soot from the tunes...they dump in a lot of fuel and what doesnt get burned up goes through the egr and eventually exit as that big cloud of smoke you make when u lay on it!:scuffy
Do you think that running a product like Diesel Kleen would help this out?

·
Registered
542 Posts
If EGR is disabled in the tune you're talking about, the soot will not make it into the egr system. The egr valve would be closed the entire time, and is also located at the exit of the egr branch off of the main exhaust. So the soot doesn't even pass it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If EGR is disabled in the tune you're talking about, the soot will not make it into the egr system. The egr valve would be closed the entire time, and is also located at the exit of the egr branch off of the main exhaust. So the soot doesn't even pass it.
So do you have an idea what would cause the issue at hand?

·
Registered
542 Posts
So do you have an idea what would cause the issue at hand?
Is your code actually P0401? If so;
P0401
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insuff Detected

The system is detecting too low of a level of EGR than what is being commanded. If the 210 deletes the EGR function (and only cycles the EGR valve at idle), it could be detecting that the valve isn't opening at that time (the idle check). I guess you could either return to stock, take it in, and get them to diagnose/replace the EGR valve, or get Spartan to update your tune so that it doesn't even check at idle. Of course, it may just be some quirk, and the valve is fine. Other people seem to just clear the code and ignore it. :dunno:

One thought though... if the EGR valve IS broken and you ignore it... if the truck is ever returned to stock, where EGR is used often, it may run funny and force a trip to the dealer. If it were me... I'd return it to stock, and see if the valve completely acts up. If it functions normally for a few hundred miles, stock, then I'd just reinstall the aftermarket stuff and move on.

Here are some threads on the issue;

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4l-performance-parts-discussion/89908-spartan-egr-delete-kit.html#post1134235

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-motor-problems/94281-p0401-exhaust-gas-recirculation-flow-insufficient-detected.html

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My truck was throwing this code a lot. What I did, is returned the truck to the StockNR tune, which allowed the EGR valve to cycle as it normally would. It was very sticky when I first put it back to stock, but after I drove it for the day, it started working again. I was monitoring the EGR PCT% mind you. So I loaded my tune back up afterwards and it hasn't thrown the code since. I think I freed it up running it stock for awhile. I'll do it again next time it throws the code.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is your code actually P0401? If so;
P0401
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insuff Detected

The system is detecting too low of a level of EGR than what is being commanded. If the 210 deletes the EGR function (and only cycles the EGR valve at idle), it could be detecting that the valve isn't opening at that time (the idle check). I guess you could either return to stock, take it in, and get them to diagnose/replace the EGR valve, or get Spartan to update your tune so that it doesn't even check at idle. Of course, it may just be some quirk, and the valve is fine. Other people seem to just clear the code and ignore it. :dunno:

One thought though... if the EGR valve IS broken and you ignore it... if the truck is ever returned to stock, where EGR is used often, it may run funny and force a trip to the dealer. If it were me... I'd return it to stock, and see if the valve completely acts up. If it functions normally for a few hundred miles, stock, then I'd just reinstall the aftermarket stuff and move on.

Here are some threads on the issue;

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4l-performance-parts-discussion/89908-spartan-egr-delete-kit.html#post1134235

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-motor-problems/94281-p0401-exhaust-gas-recirculation-flow-insufficient-detected.html
That is the code that I am getting.

I will give it a try, I was trying to avoid reinstalling the DPF, but if that's what it takes, so be it. I appreciate the detailed response.

·
Registered
542 Posts
That is the code that I am getting.

I will give it a try, I was trying to avoid reinstalling the DPF, but if that's what it takes, so be it. I appreciate the detailed response.
Well don't go putting the DPF back on yet. If you can do what dieselkane suggested (great feedback, by the way), and put a stock tune with no-regen on it, allow the valve to operate for a while like that... and get it back to moving freely. That would be a good first step, before putting the DPF back on. If it has major problems on the stock dpf-delete tune, then you'd know it may be time for a trip to the dealer.

(I still wonder why an egr valve would get gummed up with soot when, while disabled, no soot even passes it. Is everyone sure the 210 disables EGR, and its not tunes above the 210? Just making sure.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My truck was throwing this code a lot. What I did, is returned the truck to the StockNR tune, which allowed the EGR valve to cycle as it normally would. It was very sticky when I first put it back to stock, but after I drove it for the day, it started working again. I was monitoring the EGR PCT% mind you. So I loaded my tune back up afterwards and it hasn't thrown the code since. I think I freed it up running it stock for awhile. I'll do it again next time it throws the code.
Would the stock no regen tune be the same as any of the lower HP tunes from Spartan, say the 150 HP tune? I know I don't have an actual stock no regen tune, but if I understand correctly, the lower HP tunes from Spartan do use the EGR valve funtion.

Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Would the stock no regen tune be the same as any of the lower HP tunes from Spartan, say the 150 HP tune? I know I don't have an actual stock no regen tune, but if I understand correctly, the lower HP tunes from Spartan do use the EGR valve funtion.

Thanks for the feedback!!
I imagine it would, but I chose the stockNR tune because I figured it would not put as much soot through the EGR valve. I am not sure about how the EGR valve functions on the lower HP tunes. I just know it functions as it normally would running the stockNR tune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts