Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Ford trucks for 30 years and this is my first diesel, so please bear with me !
2008 with 35,000 miles. Everything stock. Since day one I noticed the exhaust pipes were getting blacker. Started black exhaust smoke around 18K miles. It has gotten worse. Sometimes truck seems to lose some power, so I put my foot into it and it blows out thick black smoke and it runs better for awhile. I have never seen it go into regen. My daughter has same truck with 25K and pipes are clean as a whistle. It's at the dealer right now for the third time and all I get from them is that it is not throwing any codes. PCM was flashed the last time, but did no good. Going to dealer tomorrow to visit my truck and would love to give them some hints on what to look for. I'm sure it's not doing the motor any good.
Thanks for any help !

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,812 Posts
sounds like a cracked DPF and/or plugged up DOC but that's weird that the dealer hasn't looked at that first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I would think that they would check things like that but all they seem to rely on is the master computer codes and no thinking on their own. I'm 1K miles away from the end of warranty and I'm getting scared !! LOL Is there a code that shows up for a bad DPF or DOC ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem it was the particulate filter. It was clogged. As far as the warranty the drive train is 100,000mi

Randy

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
if they wont fix it right beat the snot out of the motor till it goes then they will have no choice but to replace it just make sure that the truck was not tuned before you got it but they must not have been able to pull any codes from it

·
Registered
2 Posts
My company just purchased a used 2008 6.4l F250 4x4 and it smokes too whereas our other 2008 6.4l 's have shiny clean exhausts and do not smoke. I have also taken this truck to the dealership 3 times and all they keep saying is that there are no codes and everything is fine but I know that it should not smoke like that.Even under light acceleration it puffs black smoke. They said to just drive it and not worry about the smoke? I read here on the post about the DPF but they said it was fine ? It states in the owners manual that the DPF filter needs to be cleaned or replaced at 70000 miles ?

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,812 Posts
I've also read that some truck smoke from the factory and are just fine. A diesel tech on here said that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
36K miles now on my 2008 250SD. Got it back from the dealer....for the third time.The mechanic said DPF was fine. I said I have still not seen it go into REGEN, he said it may do it so fast that I miss it........It does smoke less now, though. Mechanic said he adjusted a door that opens and closes between the turbos that might have been allowing fuel to to enter. I've also lost 2-3 quarts of coolant since I bought it new, so not sure if that has anything to do with the smoking problem. I just hope the 5/100K engine warranty covers these future problems.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
There is no "door" between the turbos. He was blowing smoke. Did you tell them that you have lost coolant? You may have an EGR problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I would post the outcome of my black smoking problem and the repair.
I just got mine back from the dealership after going there for the third time and they finally listened to me and fixed it.It was the DPF just like a few others had already posted here and I made them ride with me so they could see it for themselves how it smoked even under light acceleration. The tech showed me my old DPF and it looked like someonne had filled it up with crushed charcoal.He dug about three coffee cans full of soot out of it.He also told me that the DPF cost about $4200 to replace but luckily I still had warranty. I just don't understand how come it was not throwing a code , even the dealership tech could not believe it. Be persistent with them because if there is no code they will just blow you off.It runs and accelerates much better now and my fuel mileage has also gone back up and no smoke at all whatsoever.

·
Registered
45 Posts
36K miles now on my 2008 250SD. Got it back from the dealer....for the third time.The mechanic said DPF was fine. I said I have still not seen it go into REGEN, he said it may do it so fast that I miss it........It does smoke less now, though. Mechanic said he adjusted a door that opens and closes between the turbos that might have been allowing fuel to to enter. I've also lost 2-3 quarts of coolant since I bought it new, so not sure if that has anything to do with the smoking problem. I just hope the 5/100K engine warranty covers these future problems.
Is your radiator leaking? Had mine replaced with the thermostat at 70k under warranty. Now its the thermostat causing the radiator failures not the venturi.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine was a smoker. Ford hotline drug it's feet for several months. Finally the tech got them to replace the DPF.... no more smoke.

It was cracked and didn't throw any codes. It was only regenning every 2k or so when he looked at the cycle logs. I drove it around for two weeks with the techs scanner hooked up.

Ford drug their feet because of the cost of the dpf. They gave me the wrong invoice for the work done.... I got the one's with the prices on it. 3800$ bill for the work done.

I could care less about the smoke except that my dads truck who had more miles on his and is the same build had pipes that looked clean and shiney mine were black and would smoke like hell.

Keep taking it in. Tell them it's smoking black, not white or blue, get it documented and be persistent.

BTW, my brand new DPF/DOC are coming off soon anyway. Now that we got the bugs worked out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts