Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 frozen rear caliper pistons with 51,000 miles on the truck. Calipers dont even have a hint of rust on them....I thought this thing was a SUPERDUTY, this damn thing cant even get make it out of the new truck zone yet.:(

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
What brand caliper?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stockers, I knew one was hanging so did a brake job all the way around and couldnt get the pistons to go down to much on the other side, no wonder why it couldnt stop decent.

I dunno, its minor but G'damn Ford seriously, happend to my bud also who had one stuck last month.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
bad luck man, sorry, ive pulled 20k plus trailer up the ALCAN highway twice and am still on stock OEM pads and brakes, i have even pulled them twice to do maintenance and they have not needed. Im impressed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It happened to me on the right rear. Definitely sucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder what this is about. Some folks have problems, others none. Barring rust, perhaps some of the calipers used have seals that are prone to swelling... Seen this on English cars.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Chit happens. Buy a Dodge
Then he will be getting a new front suspension in a year if the lugs don't break and the wheels fly off first.
69800 on my OEM pads have 40 Front and 50 Rear to go till new pads . I am going to change them soon just for ****s and giggles .

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
4 frozen rear caliper pistons with 51,000 miles on the truck. Calipers dont even have a hint of rust on them....I thought this thing was a SUPERDUTY, this damn thing cant even get make it out of the new truck zone yet.:(
And how often have you changed the brake fluid. :doh:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I get 100k miles per set of pads. Still on stock rotors and calipers. I'm impressed with mine...

My brother has a 2005 Dodge 3500, and goes through brakes every 35k, and several sets of rotors and calipers...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
As Mitch points out, changing the brake fluid may be key. I did mine this year (truck has 54k) and there is quite a bit of difference between the old and new fluid....plus I can swear they feel better when braking.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yup change that fluid. Guys come into work keep complaining about failing calipers over and over again and I asked them if they have changed out their fluid. They look at me really funny and go why should I? I said brake fluid absorbs water and does wear out like any other fluid. Thats why the fluid coming out of your caliper is black and nasty.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
At a minimum it should be done every other year. I prefer to do it annually. When open tracking my Mustang I do it every evening. Brake fluid sucks water up like a sponge. Once that start corroding the inside of the caliper it is done for. Same for the master cylinder. And yes water in the fluid will make the brakes feel spongy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts