Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got alot accomplished. Besides kickin butt at work and spending quality time with my girlfriend I got plenty of work done on the truck.
Got to cross off 7 things on my list :approve:

On thursday I started changing shocks, did the left front then friday I did the right.
Front shocks, check.
Then Friday night I put the rear's that I'd purchased a while back and found them to be WAY. TOO. SHORT. Tried to drive it and it was bouncing as bad or worse than a semi with no trailer on a bumpy road .... it turns out they had given me the ones for a RegularCab because I told them it was a SuperCab not a CrewCab. Little did I know that a crew cab must mean it has a back seat whether it has four full doors half doors or no doors. And the longer the truck, the longer the shock travel needs to be. So learning experience for me... got a free exchange the next day so a minor inconvenience.
Rear shocks, check.
That same day I went to get the truck wieghed just for curiosity reasons - 7,320lbs. and while I was there I got a new front license plate I had my eye on for a while to replace the eagle. ( i like it, but I like the bulldogs on this better) It says "IF YOU CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS, STAY ON THE PORCH!" a saying my dad and I have used for a long time :thumb:
Weigh and license plate, check check.

Then today I had a few hours before work so I thought, I'm gonna try to get that intake put on. My new S&B intake has been sitting around for weeks waiting for the truck to be home and time. I started getting stuff off and thought "hey... while this is all apart ... I oughta delete that foil :)" What a b!tch! Got the tube off and started cutting and prying and ripping that foil and insulation crap off and made a big mess. Then I tried scotch-briteing w/ googone on the glue and leftover insulation which got me nowhere. So I soaked it with a spraybottle of googone and thought "Hey is this stuff flammable?" read the bottle and it said "keep away from open flame" ...:D Set it out on the gravel and lit 'er up. Let it burn for a few minutes and cool off while I cleaned up a little. Well that got all the insulation junk off leaving only glue. I started trying to scrape it off with heavy scotch brite and it wasn't working so I thought, well it may not be pretty but it'll sound good and that's the point. So I started putting it back on and my hands were sticky and I was like "Ok, I got a tip cause the exhaust was ugly, and this looks UGLY, and it'll look really ugly next to my nice intake... dangit." Took it back off and just took a die-grinder to it for 15 minutes and now it looks SWEET i think.
Foil Delete, check.
While putting the top intercooler boot back on I saw my red wastegate line and sneakily went *pull... and plug* hehehe
Wastegate Delete, check.
Finished up the S&B and it looks GREAT!
Cold Air Intake, check.

I feel like I got alot done, more than I thought I would. I'm so pround. :icon_ford: And *gasp* everything was pretty easy! Not used to that (used to a GM). And just loved everything I saw pertaining to design and engineering, nothing seemed stupid or "shoot I could have thought of a better/easier way to do that" So I have even more respect for Ford.

I am so happy with the intake and the other two mods! :woot: It boosts way faster and when it gets up to 16 flooring it up a hill for a few seconds and I let off I hear a new sound. It goes like "VROOMSSSHHHHSSSSSWAAHHphewSHAHpheweeewwsssshoooo" The normal wastegate dumping into the exhaust but a very loud SHPAH. I'm assuming I can hear that cause of one of the things I did, and I like it.
After the S&B it seems louder (not just turbo) to me it sounds cleaner I dunno, and throttle response seems better too, even pre-turbo lag.

Here's the only decent pic I got.

:woot::woot::icon_ford::woot::woot:

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Sounds like alot of fun! I espcially like the "VROOMSSSHHHHSSSSSWAAHHphewSHAHpheweeewwsssshoooo" part :lol:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and I also took the sweet avatar pic today while it was apart too. :D

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody know for sure what that noise could be? I thought it was the turbo blowing hot air to the intercooler, or the intercooler blowing cool air to the turbo when the wastegate opens.... anyone? :dunno:

·
Registered
555 Posts
If your wastegate is plugged... well... it wont make any noise! The noise your hear is your turbo suckin air, then when it shifts its like backpressure created by the turbo. Thats the best way I can think to explain it!

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Yea the noise is coming from your intake caused by the turbo

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I let off it's air bein sucked in by the turbo...? And the wastegate line is disconnected and plugged not the actuator. So it's still working ... or at least I thought, it was still doing it's job just stayed closed longer ... right? Excuse my cluelessness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts