Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally went and ran my truck in the 1/4 mile. Me and 5 other trucks (all Cummins) headed to Steele, Alabama tonight to do some test and tune runs. This was my first night to ever hit the track, so I didn't expect much at all. Here are my times, 60 foots, and trap speeds in order. These passes were made with the 310/TCM production file, 35" Toyo Open Country AT's, 2.5" leveling kit, and 3 1/4" rear blocks.

13.456 1/4
2.032 60 ft
98.22 trap speed
-pass made w/tailgate and spare

13.29 1/4
1.788 60 ft
101.13 trap speed

13.222 1/4
1.807 60 ft
101.41 trap speed

13.136 1/4
1.833 60 ft
101.83 trap speed
-pass made w/tailgate and spare (tranny finally learned)

12.963 1/4
1.742 60 ft
102.21 trap speed
-pass made without the tailgate and with the spare (left the line a 18psi and all was perfect)

13.03 1/4
1.792 60 ft
101.84 trap speed
- pas made without the tailgate and with the spare (left the line at 22 psi and broke loose all 4)

All in all I am very satisfied with the passes, especially since my torque converter seems to be on the downhill. I think with the spare off the truck I might can get under 12.9. Had a hell of a time, and now I think I am addicted!!! Thank you Spartan for providing me with a great product to make these passes!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
how far from birmingham al? i got the 310 and tcm with a 300 shot of nitrous i am really wanting to lay into it at the track

·
Registered
559 Posts
Congradulations! Those are some great numbers, and more importantly, it sounds like you had a LOT of fun!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Good times man, that is impressive for a CC 4x4 truck. I was wondering if taking my tail gate and spare off would make any difference, I guess it does.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Great times!

Watch out, the drag strip is addicting! ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did you beat that Dodge that was at Reynolds I am guessing?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Good times man, that is impressive for a CC 4x4 truck. I was wondering if taking my tail gate and spare off would make any difference, I guess it does.
the rule of thumb is 100lbs ~ .1 in the 1/4

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you beat that Dodge that was at Reynolds I am guessing?
He didnt come. His converter isnt stout enough for the turbo on his truck, so he is worried about it coming apart on him. He has a landscape business and has to use it everyday. His best pass at Reynolds was a 13.7 though so I think I would have gotten him pretty easily. :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great times!! A 12 sec 1/4 mile is damned fast....especially when you consider that it weighs at or above 8000 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a sidenote, I took my Spartan 310 rig to a 1/4 mile strip and ended up running into another Spartan 310 F250 guy. We were both brake boosting in 4wd and launching hard with a lot of wheel hop. I was ready to give my rig all she had off of the line when I watched the other fella blow his tranny out prior to the 60' marker just before my next consecutive run. It scared the crap outta me and I only soft launched (no brake boost) after that.

How were you launching your rig? (To pull a 1.7x 60' I imagine you were launching hard..)

At what point are we going to see lots of tranny failures due to all the added stresses of these high hp / tq launches?

Anyone else? Thoughts?

(The other guy was NOT running the TCM, nor am I)

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 66,000 miles on my tranny and it was shifting like a dream after the first 3 passes when it was learning. I was leaving anywhere from 15-22 psi. Front tires were at 50 psi and the rear tires were at 40 psi. I only hopped off the line 2 out of the 6 passes. That was on a 20 psi launch and a 22 psi launch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 66,000 miles on my tranny and it was shifting like a dream after the first 3 passes when it was learning. I was leaving anywhere from 15-22 psi. Front tires were at 50 psi and the rear tires were at 40 psi. I only hopped off the line 2 out of the 6 passes. That was on a 20 psi launch and a 22 psi launch.
I gotcha.....but there still seems to be no concern about breaking tranny's at the track. Is there not enough of us out there drag racing our trucks yet to have any quantifiable info or is it everyone's opinion that this guy that blew his tranny was an anomoly?

Do you feel (or anyone else feel free to chime in)that the TCM and solenoid provide a margin of safety to prevent a busted tranny under these conditions?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I gotcha.....but there still seems to be no concern about breaking tranny's at the track. Is there not enough of us out there drag racing our trucks yet to have any quantifiable info or is it everyone's opinion that this guy that blew his tranny was an anomoly?

Do you feel (or anyone else feel free to chime in)that the TCM and solenoid provide a margin of safety to prevent a busted tranny under these conditions?

At these power levels its just a matter of time, with the tcm it is less likely to happen but even Matt him self broke his and so did Aaron so it can happen. But I think they both were spraying on top of that and I'm not sure if they were running the tcm at that time.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts