Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated: Think I found my leak! Would this cause low oil pressure?

I put truck on a mustang dyno, and I have horrible results! Number one, I have a major oil leak, I leaked about a quart of oil over 5 pulls on the ground! I have to pull my turbo and check the pedistal. I think my lower o rings are shot.

Ok, the pulls. Stock tune was my best pull. no joke. My stock pull was 205 HP/385 TQ. Now, I know a mustang dyno will read lower cause of the weight of the rollers. But I thought I should have been above 400 TQ. But I do have 260k miles on the truck.

My street tune results were 199 HP/370 TQ Now I am not to smart, But I do know that those results are horrible!

My extreme tune results were 199 HP/ 351 TQ. Why are my numbers so low? Do I need to look for issues with fuel? My fuel pressure is 60 at all times. My engine oil pressure is LOW! I mean when its warmed up to operating temp its only 10-12 PSI on my aftermarket guage. When I floor it, it only goes to about 20 PSI. I know thats 1/3 of what it should be at WOT. I am gonna try to fix my oil leak by removing the turbo and pedistal and replacing o rings this week, and making sure the oil feed line is ok. My valley is dry, and I know the leak is on the backside of the engine.

I am pretty sure if my engine oil pressure is low, then my HPOP is not getting what it needs, which means my injectors arent seeing the oil pressure and volume they need. Am I correct?

So, what do i need to start to look for? Bad injectors? truck seems to run fine. Guys at the dyno said it sounded healthy and were very impressed with stock HP numbers. I am Pissed off at my results and I wanna fix em. I am embarassed to reveal these nnumbers, but i know you guys will help. thanks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
My first thought is that you tunes may be mis-labeled or your chip could be messed up. That is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That's pretty rough man....hopefully you'll get it right without too big of a headache

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Granny, I am gonna talk to tony about that. I thought that too. He showed my dynos of local 7.3s with a TS chip or DP tuner, and they were 400HP+ and 700 ft/lbs. I am way off from that!!!

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully, its the chip. And, I can find the leak on the underside of the pedistal, causing low oil pressure. That would be an answer to my long time praying!! Matt Gouge(Spartan Diesel) tells me that sometimes that the oil pickup tube can sometimes crack, causeing aireation in the oil, and low pressure. I would have to pull motor for that. Even to see if that is the problem would have to pull the motor. I am hoping not!!

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
That would not be good to have to pull the motor!

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil leak possibly?

ok, you wanna see a BAD oil leak? here is one! this is after 5 dyno pulls!!

Nice huh? Oh yeah! forgot about the trans fluid. seems to come from the front. any ideas? Jeeze!! I cant catch a break! My truck is sick!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
are dynos usually that hard on a truck??...geez...i thought about putting my truck on a dyno...but i dont wanna mess er up...

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I agree, BUT i doubt with out injectors your gunna break 300-350. But then again im not a 7.3 guy

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, you will break 300 without injectors, maybe not 400 though.

No, the dyno isnt that hard on your truck, mine just has issues!! hehe. dynos are actually fun really.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
check out my sig.....that was bone stock before I added everything

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah steve, thats a nice number! I think the 2003 were rated at 275 HP though. mines only rated for 235 according to most sources, but my label on my valvecover says 250. so 205 is not too bad, for over 1/4 million miles.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, what was stumps tq? 1300? hahha

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what should I look for?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run econo, tow, street, extreme. i ran the street on the second pull, and extreme on the third pull.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts