Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a call from the shop, and im going to need a new tranny, should i let them burn a 2,500$$ hole in my pocket, to install one, or pay 1,000 and do it my self with some friends? this sucks soo much, no truck for a few months :doh::doh::(

·
Registered
738 Posts
burn a $4000 hole in your pocket and get a nice built trans from john woods or BTS that you won't have to worry about again

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah lol i was going to spend the 4,000 on a lift and tires too, this sucks i wonder if i can drive it to school and back, it leaks a little when i stop, its still driveable. hhhmm

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
BTS all the way, It is worth it!

·
Registered
407 Posts
im still in school too so i didnt really have the money to buy a john woods tranny like i would have liked to, but i ended up having my local tranny shop through some heavyduty clutches in and rework the valve body and a Heavy duty rv torque converter and some other things for 1900$ out the door. it took like 4 days and i got a 1 year warranty. thing shifts good even when hammering on it. im pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
spend 1800 on a rebuilt one with an awesome warranty from coleman taylor transmissions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In this situation.... would it be better to just pay to put a 5 speed in? Or put one in yourself???? Im kinda thinking about it....

·
Registered
738 Posts
a 5 speed, or 6 speed, that would need a new clutch every so often... or a built auto that you won't worry about again. I think BTS's warranty is 2yrs/unlimited miles, john woods is 3yr/50k miles. If they're only offering a 1 year warranty I would kindly walk away.

What did the trans shop say about your tranny? besides leaking what else is wrong?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
burn a $4000 hole in your pocket and get a nice built trans from john woods or BTS that you won't have to worry about again
Your truck will not run without a trans, but can still run without "lift and tires" better do it up right with a JW trans, and by the fancy flashy stuff later

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a 5 speed, or 6 speed, that would need a new clutch every so often... or a built auto that you won't worry about again. I think BTS's warranty is 2yrs/unlimited miles, john woods is 3yr/50k miles. If they're only offering a 1 year warranty I would kindly walk away.

What did the trans shop say about your tranny? besides leaking what else is wrong?
im not sure wat else, my dad drove there while i was out working and he called them today and spoke to my dad, so im not 100% sure on wats going on, ill find out though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well i'm gonna need one to here pretty soon. Just called Bts today and new tranny and a 6.0 cooler installed and out the door with tax is 4874.60. Not so bad for all new with converter, larger cooler and installed in one day. Making an appointment later this week. Hear JW is good to but i live in Kansas and Arkansas is a lot closer.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I looked into doing a 6 speed swap but after I figured in the cost, it was more money than a good built transmission. Now that I have a built automatic, I don't know if I would ever get a bolt action again.

Did I ever mention to anyone I have a John Wood built transmission????........:hehe:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to be a nay sayer, but you also have to have the ability to program the computer in the tranny. I had a computer unit in mine that lost its program.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
There is no computer in the transmission. The PCM controls the transmission and everything else. A chip or tuner can modify the PCM programming to control the transmission differently than stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts