·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The higher end of 400!

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Probably 500+hp. Sorry to hear that. Take it to the track and see what you do. Then you can have a better idea of what your truck is making.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
What do you think needs to change to get you the numbers you want to see?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not sure but I'm out of money! It feels incredibly strong on the street and tows amazing. I was thinkin it was 500hp.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
What do you think needs to change to get you the numbers you want to see?
Probably could stand to have a live tune. Could be the dyno/dyno operator. Perhaps a mild FICM tune would help him out. It really is tough to say what the problem is (if there is one). All trucks are different.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very nice run dude! Look at the torque curve is almost straight up over 900 rpm. That's power my friend! Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Probably could stand to have a live tune. Could be the dyno/dyno operator. Perhaps a mild FICM tune would help him out. It really is tough to say what the problem is (if there is one). All trucks are different.
I hear ya man, every truck is different.

I was thinking that some tweaking to the tune might help him as well. I also understand what you are saying about the dyno/dyno operator. Last year a bunch of us from the chapter went to a charity dyno day and think that the operators weren't getting the trucks spooling right. There was an indoor dyno and an outdoor dyno, for those of us on the outdoor one didn't see the number we were hoping for and the indoor guys were getting the numbers with similar setups that some of us have.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I assume you weren't running a dyno tune. I would get one from your favorite tuner. IF the dyno operator doesn't know how to get it into a gear and keep it there, it will hurt your numbers. Also, does either of your tunes have early lock-up? That will help you put down better numbers too.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the video does it look like he knows what hes doing? Correct gear? I know he does alot of diesel events. He dynoed alot of trucks at a local event by me and alot of Innovatives at Cecil County Fair. Including the 6.4 that made 1,300+hp.

I can't stand early lockup. Vivian doesn't put it on her tunes for LOW gears. That doesn't matter on a dyno though because its 5th gear you want right? I wasn't using dyno tunes. I do not have a tuned FICM.

I'm going to try and get to the track.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
those numbers do seem kinda low. with stock injectors and stock turbo i put down 401

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
I put down 396/776 with stock injectors and stock turbo. I know I would have more because I had a few sticky injectors at the time that I got on the rollers.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
You don't need a dyno tune for a dyno. You can run it in OD on the dyno and have pretty accurate numbers...this jis how Eric at Innovative Diesel does it when he dyno's trucks at his shop....and this is how he told me to dyno mine. Eric told me to run it through the gears until the TC locks in OD, then bring the RPM's to about 2000-2200 and mash the throttle and don't let up till it hits 100mph.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
yeah i was just on my strong DD tune i feel i could of got pretty damn close to 450 with my race tune on...

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
You don't need a dyno tune for a dyno. You can run it in OD on the dyno and have pretty accurate numbers...this jis how Eric at Innovative Diesel does it when he dyno's trucks at his shop....and this is how he told me to dyno mine. Eric told me to run it through the gears until the TC locks in OD, then bring the RPM's to about 2000-2200 and mash the throttle and don't let up till it hits 100mph.
This doesn't make sense to me as it would be like dynoing a truck with big tires. The reading will be low because the drive ratio isn't 1:1. I have to say that the dyno tune is a great idea because it would only allow the truck to shift to 5th gear and no more and if you want to get extra power to the ground, just have the tuner lock the converter. I don't know. I'm definitely not an expert here but it just makes better sense to me to do a dyno tune as opposed to dynoing the truck in OD. JMO.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 285/65/18's, slightly different than stock size.

I guess I was expecting more because I thought most companies high hp tunes put you at 420-440rwhp with stock turbo and injectors. At least that what the guys at IDP have told me over the phone. And didn't one of the MTW guy (Matt I think) make 485rwhp with the same turbo and stock injectors? I was expecting at least that seeing as I have 155/30's. Doesn't make sense that I would dyno 35hp lower with larger injectors.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me as it would be like dynoing a truck with big tires. The reading will be low because the drive ratio isn't 1:1. I have to say that the dyno tune is a great idea because it would only allow the truck to shift to 5th gear and no more and if you want to get extra power to the ground, just have the tuner lock the converter. I don't know. I'm definitely not an expert here but it just makes better sense to me to do a dyno tune as opposed to dynoing the truck in OD. JMO.
IDK Nate....this is how Eric does it and says that it's pretty accurate. I know alot of others do it this way to....and have been told that there is zero need for a dyno tune. You guys can feel free to ask Eric and see what he says about it cause i'm just going by what he told me. I feel he'd be able to tell ya more about it that i can. All i know, is that when it came time for me to dyno...i asked eric to send me a dyno tune. He said there is no need to have a dyno tune written and that he always runs it in OD..and told me to just run it in OD. So i ran it in OD and did exactly what he told me to do. I've seen a bunch of duramax's run in OD also.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I got ya Chris. Not sayin he's wrong or anything but that I would like to hear more about it. I'll have to call him and see what he says.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Dynos are all different and some need to load more than others, also if the software isn't for a 6.0 on dyno you would get low numbers. It's not easy finding a good dyno for a 6.0, that's why the 6.0's don't do that well at dyno competition. The dyno at PHP with Bill running it is spot on, Eric at IDP is also good dyno, but even at Eric's dyno that put Brairs truck with a stage 3, 190/100 injectors live tuned at 623rwhp, when Brair hit the track he weighted 8000lbs and ran a 106.5mph which puts him at 655rwhp, so track shows 32rwhp differance. That's why I really believe that a dyno number plus track is the way to go. As far as dynos I only trust Bill's dyno just because track times back that dyno within 5rwhp. I wouldn't run truck at dyno event, I would rather track race at event that I didn't know dyno.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts